[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Y.A.A.G.

skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (02/09/91)

     All in all, the Amiga is a wonderful machine and I probably wouldn't
choose another computer.  However, there are always little things
with any system that are utterly annoying.  The Amiga is no exception.
     In 1.0-1.3 versions of Workbench (don't know about 2.0), if you wrote
to a disk with an error, a Read/Write error requester popped up asking you
to Cancel or Retry.  Here's the gripe : EVEN IF YOU PRESS CANCEL, Why does
the OS insist on continuing the operation, nearly always resulting in
ANOTHER Read/Write error requester.  I have tried to copy files from a bad
disk only to spend 5 minutes pressing Cancel on the Read/Write error
requesters before FINALLY the system got the hint and stopped the copying
process.  Why does the system do this?  Also, is this problem fixed in
the current beta-versions of 2.0?  If not, is it going to be fixed?

                                         Scott
                                BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
                              INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
                                         skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu

fstuart@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) (02/09/91)

In article <58782@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:

>     All in all, the Amiga is a wonderful machine and I probably wouldn't
>choose another computer.  However, there are always little things
>with any system that are utterly annoying.  The Amiga is no exception.
>     In 1.0-1.3 versions of Workbench (don't know about 2.0), if you wrote
>to a disk with an error, a Read/Write error requester popped up asking you
>to Cancel or Retry.  Here's the gripe : EVEN IF YOU PRESS CANCEL, Why does
>the OS insist on continuing the operation, nearly always resulting in
>ANOTHER Read/Write error requester.  I have tried to copy files from a bad
>disk only to spend 5 minutes pressing Cancel on the Read/Write error
>requesters before FINALLY the system got the hint and stopped the copying
>process.  Why does the system do this?  Also, is this problem fixed in
>the current beta-versions of 2.0?  If not, is it going to be fixed?
>

>                                         Scott
Yes, that is annoying....have you tried using gomf?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/09/91)

fstuart@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:

>>     In 1.0-1.3 versions of Workbench (don't know about 2.0), if you wrote
>>to a disk with an error, a Read/Write error requester popped up asking you
>>to Cancel or Retry.  Here's the gripe : EVEN IF YOU PRESS CANCEL, Why does

I seem to remember that the Person in charge of the "Retry" button got

fired/quit/ect.. So that part of the OS never got fixed...

Hver just PUT in a Disk to have it crash the system? That's a Pain..

.,

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
 IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (02/11/91)

In a message posted on 9 Feb 91 02:03:56 GMT,
skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) wrote:
SKW>to Cancel or Retry.  Here's the gripe : EVEN IF YOU PRESS CANCEL, Why does
SKW>the OS insist on continuing the operation, nearly always resulting in

This is not the OS, but the program that is doing the writing - As a programmer,
you should always check the error status of a write() call, but as most
programmers are lazy, they do not do this.

  Again, as with the "status of 2.0 for <A3000 machines" the fault is with the
application programmers, not Commodore.

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca

cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) (02/12/91)

In article <fstuart.910208213302@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fstuart@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:
>In article <58782@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:
>>
>>     All in all, the Amiga is a wonderful machine and I probably wouldn't
>>choose another computer.  However, there are always little things
>>with any system that are utterly annoying.  The Amiga is no exception.
>>     In 1.0-1.3 versions of Workbench (don't know about 2.0), if you wrote
>>to a disk with an error, a Read/Write error requester popped up asking you
>>to Cancel or Retry.  Here's the gripe : EVEN IF YOU PRESS CANCEL, Why does
>>the OS insist on continuing the operation, nearly always resulting in
>>ANOTHER Read/Write error requester.  I have tried to copy files from a bad
>>disk only to spend 5 minutes pressing Cancel on the Read/Write error
>>requesters before FINALLY the system got the hint and stopped the copying
>>process.  Why does the system do this?  Also, is this problem fixed in
>>the current beta-versions of 2.0?  If not, is it going to be fixed?
>>

>>					   Scott
>Yes, that is annoying....have you tried using gomf?
>#! rnews 1320

GOMF won't fix this (at least not the old PD version.)  Why this happens
is because the OS generates the requester when it can't read/write to
a particular BLOCK.  If you cancel, for some reason it tries to continue
the operation on the NEXT BLOCK.  If that block is also bad (often the
case on floppies, not usually so on HD's) it generates ANOTHER requester.
Not sure of the cirsumstances under which this occures (not usually
with file-scans, etc.)

I recently developed 3 r/w errors on my HD.  Any good PD programs to
mark these IN-USE?  I want them OUT reguardless of what file they are
in.  I have an older version of QBTOOLS, but it complains that the blocks
in question are in a file, but then can't tell me WHAT files.  Pretty
damn useless if you ask me.

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (02/13/91)

In article <cpc.3180@czaeap.UUCP> cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) writes:
>In article <fstuart.910208213302@lab16.eng.auburn.edu> fstuart@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) writes:
>>In article <58782@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:
>>>
>>>     All in all, the Amiga is a wonderful machine and I probably wouldn't
>>>choose another computer.  However, there are always little things
>>>with any system that are utterly annoying.  The Amiga is no exception.
>>>     In 1.0-1.3 versions of Workbench (don't know about 2.0), if you wrote
>>>to a disk with an error, a Read/Write error requester popped up asking you
>>>to Cancel or Retry.  Here's the gripe : EVEN IF YOU PRESS CANCEL, Why does
>>>the OS insist on continuing the operation, nearly always resulting in
>>>ANOTHER Read/Write error requester.  I have tried to copy files from a bad
>>>disk only to spend 5 minutes pressing Cancel on the Read/Write error
>>>requesters before FINALLY the system got the hint and stopped the copying
>>>process.  Why does the system do this?  Also, is this problem fixed in
>>>the current beta-versions of 2.0?  If not, is it going to be fixed?
>>>

>>>					   Scott

  There is a PD program availible that fixes this called 'Tracksalve'
It patches all the quirks/bugs in the trackdisk.device, and even
enhances it. If you get an error, it will try to recover that sector.