[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] OS Graphic Card Support

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (02/11/91)

In article <28476.27b2e54f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlhiccup@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Anyway, I would like to say the biggest thing that commodore should do to help
>improve the Amiga system is to make the OS support third party graphics cards.

A few months back i tried to wake up a discussion on this subject. It
died fast - wonder why?

I work for a company which is the agent for professional products for
the Amiga. We hear customers complaining about the inferiority vs the
MAC and PC and so on ad nauseam. The sad thing is that no significant
development will be done until such a standard is presented period!

As many of the good programs for Amiga is heavily resource bound for
performance, almost all of them would take a leap forward if redressed
in a 24-bit cloak...

C'mon folk, let's get some views in here!

--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se

Agreed. This would do a lot more for the Amiga than any vanilla UNIX port.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <1991Feb11.100612.3894@kberg.se> svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) writes:
>In article <28476.27b2e54f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlhiccup@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Anyway, I would like to say the biggest thing that commodore should do to help
>>improve the Amiga system is to make the OS support third party graphics cards.
>
>A few months back i tried to wake up a discussion on this subject. It
>died fast - wonder why?
>
>I work for a company which is the agent for professional products for
>the Amiga. We hear customers complaining about the inferiority vs the
>MAC and PC and so on ad nauseam. The sad thing is that no significant
>development will be done until such a standard is presented period!
>
>As many of the good programs for Amiga is heavily resource bound for
>performance, almost all of them would take a leap forward if redressed
>in a 24-bit cloak...
>
>C'mon folk, let's get some views in here!

	Well, lessee, there's HAM-E, DCTV, ColorBurst,
FireCracker, Mimetics, Targa (via bridgeboard, it works), and of
course the Video Toaster. I think that is a wide variety. Things
on the Amiga seem to come out in bursts, we had a hypermedia
burst, and a networking burst, and now we have a video-card
burst.
	As to DIG for AmigaDOS, I think it is pretty clear that
Commodore is working on it. Last time they posted that they were
looking to hire new people, they specifically said that they were
looking for people with DIG experience! There have also been
comments made here-and-there that make it clear. Commodore is
also clearly working on a truly enhanced chipset. We simply have
to wait. I don't expect anything soon, but probably in a year
we'll see something. For now, we'll have to live with the video
toaster.

>>Jason Wilson
>

>--
>Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

In article <1991Feb11.100612.3894@kberg.se> svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) writes:
>In article <28476.27b2e54f@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlhiccup@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Anyway, I would like to say the biggest thing that commodore should do to help
>>improve the Amiga system is to make the OS support third party graphics cards.
>
>A few months back i tried to wake up a discussion on this subject. It
>died fast - wonder why?

I can tell you: Because there is not yet existing a standard that
could be published.

But is net memory so short? Does nobody remember those ads for hiring
people for Amiga software engineering to produce exactly this thing?
So, they are sure on it. Can't tell how fast these developments will
go, but they've been told by so many people from the net and also
from Commodore internal that this is needed. And I know they have
good ears to hear to the people.

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.042732.10540@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Feb11.100612.3894@kberg.se> svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) writes:
>>MAC and PC and so on ad nauseam. The sad thing is that no significant
>>development will be done until such a standard is presented period!

>	Well, lessee, there's HAM-E, DCTV, ColorBurst,
>FireCracker, Mimetics, Targa (via bridgeboard, it works), and of
>course the Video Toaster. I think that is a wide variety. Things
>on the Amiga seem to come out in bursts, we had a hypermedia
>burst, and a networking burst, and now we have a video-card
>burst.

Well, I think you missed my point by light years :-). The point is not
the lack of better video hardware, but the lack of useability with
normal applications. To put it in practical terms: how 'bout running
DPaint on a 24-bit deep 1600 * 1280 pixel display?; or laying out
pages with PPage 2.0 on the same screen?

The presence of a standard would take any normal display oriented
application right into the very professional arena. The ability of
most raytracing programs today far surpasses the high end 3-D image
rendering programs for the MAC, and yet the MAC is regarded as the
place to be for gfx professionals! Amiga lacks the ability to produce
the last few yards of the way to professional display output with
standard programs.

>	As to DIG for AmigaDOS, I think it is pretty clear that
>Commodore is working on it. Last time they posted that they were
>looking to hire new people, they specifically said that they were
>looking for people with DIG experience! There have also been
>comments made here-and-there that make it clear. Commodore is
>also clearly working on a truly enhanced chipset. We simply have
>to wait. I don't expect anything soon, but probably in a year
>we'll see something. For now, we'll have to live with the video
>toaster.

We cannot settle with Amiga bound solutions from Commodore for much
longer. A new chipset is as interesting as a set of mickey mouse ears
for the monitor if that is the only thing it is.

Commodore will continue to work on the CHIP mem concept, which in my
view is a very cost effective solution in the medium to low
performance spectrum. It is perfect and very high performance for an
out of the box home computer (A500).

For big, deep, screen specialized hardware is needed to get useable
speed (try running someting screen oriented with scrolling in 4-plane
hires lace screen).

A bright star on the horizon is the 'ULowell' card. It provides a
official base for applications and software solutions.

I have contact with a company which makes an Amiga compatible gfx card
that goes from 640 x 480 24-bit to 1600 x 1280 256 colors in a lot of
intermediate steps. This breaks my heart, because the card represents
a high end professional standard in any system (bar some branch
specific solutions). And the card cannot talk to any application at all
(sob), as they have no programmer to make a new program for it.

We're stuck in the mud a the rest of the world are just whizzing by
:-(.

--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se