[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga 3000 vs. NeXT

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) (02/13/91)

Clearly the A3000 is superior to the NeXT.

After all, the former can emulate a Mac.

Flame away,

  Craig Hubley   "...get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert."
  Craig Hubley & Associates------------------------------------Henry Ford Sr.
  craig@gpu.utcs.Utoronto.CA   UUNET!utai!utgpu!craig   craig@utorgpu.BITNET
  craig@gpu.utcs.toronto.EDU   {allegra,bnr-vpa,decvax}!utcsri!utgpu!craig
  28 First Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4M 1W8 Canada     Voice: (416) 466-4097

P.S. :)

P.P.S.	Actually, NeXTs were originally supposed to run a killer Mac
	emulator, and if Apple ever licenses the toolbox they probably
	still will, but I imagine this died as part of Sculley's agreement
	not to sue NeXT over Jobs' raiding of Apple for employees.

--

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (02/13/91)

craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:
>Clearly the A3000 is superior to the NeXT.
>After all, the former can emulate a Mac.
>
>P.S. :)

Personally, I've always been confused about this particular "gloat"...

Doesn't the fact that several kinds of machines are proud to emulate the Mac,
simply demonstrate that the Mac OS is more portable, and is also desirable?

In addition, couldn't a Mac user claim: "I can move from a Mac to an
Amiga or ST or RISC without losing my programs, yet owners of those
computers cannot move to a Mac and do the same."  ??

P.S. :) :)  Different viewpoint, eh?  :-)   kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu

n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb13.040618.5160@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:
>>Clearly the A3000 is superior to the NeXT.
>>After all, the former can emulate a Mac.
>>
>>P.S. :)
>
>Personally, I've always been confused about this particular "gloat"...
>
>Doesn't the fact that several kinds of machines are proud to emulate the Mac,
>simply demonstrate that the Mac OS is more portable, and is also desirable?

First of all, the inital remark was smiley'd, so it's definitely
tongue-in-cheek humor.

Anyway, taking your comment seriously, the Mac OS is hardly portable.
Every Mac emulator I've seen requires the Mac ROM images in some form.
The only legal way to accomplish this is with real Apple-manufactured
Mac ROMs.  Most the emulators plug into the host computer in some
way and use some custom software to access and use the ROMs.

Now, as to the marketability of this, if all things were equall,
wouldn't you rather have a computer that ran software for 3 machines
instead of just 1?  This obviously doesn't count if you use this feature
in only one emulation mode, but if there is software on all platforms
that you want to use, it's pretty nifty.

>In addition, couldn't a Mac user claim: "I can move from a Mac to an
>Amiga or ST or RISC without losing my programs, yet owners of those
>computers cannot move to a Mac and do the same."  ??

But they wouldn't say that.  It's bad marketing.  How would this
help to sell *your* machines?

--Daryl Biberdorf,  n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu  OR dlb5404@rigel.tamu.edu
  Texas A&M University

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.040618.5160@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>craig@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Craig Hubley) writes:
>>Clearly the A3000 is superior to the NeXT.
>>After all, the former can emulate a Mac.
>>
>>P.S. :)
>
>Personally, I've always been confused about this particular "gloat"...
>
>Doesn't the fact that several kinds of machines are proud to emulate the Mac,
>simply demonstrate that the Mac OS is more portable, and is also desirable?
>
>In addition, couldn't a Mac user claim: "I can move from a Mac to an
>Amiga or ST or RISC without losing my programs, yet owners of those
>computers cannot move to a Mac and do the same."  ??
>
>P.S. :) :)  Different viewpoint, eh?  :-)   kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu

  I always thought that it was because the Amiga chip set would be harder
to emulate safely on any 68000 based machine. I am sure it could be done,
but it would run the software pretty slowly.

  Second, why would a person who has an Amiga with a mac emulator want
to move to a Mac?

P.S. :) Sometimes you have to just admit that you don't have to spend
        $800 for a word processor... :)