[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Correcting misconceptions TARGA -vs- AMIGA

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (01/27/91)

It seems to me that the Amiga Advocacy collection would be the correct
place to post and refute common misconceptions and incorrect assertions in
the media.  Here are two which I have recently seen cropping up in con-
versations and magazines:

    1.   Amiga versus Targa comparison/contrast
           People are stating that the stock Amiga with 'only' 4096
           colors is inferior to Targa boards.  This makes no sense.
           The Targa cannot display ANY colors.  The Amiga is a computer,
           the Targa is an add-on board (which by the way could be used
           with the Amiga in the IBM slots, I presume).  The correct
           comparison would be an Amiga with add-on boards to another
           platform (or even the Amiga) with the Targa add-on board.
           I'm tired of these apples and orange peel comparisons.
    2.   Users appear unaware that an Amiga comes 'complete'
           I've seen several instances of people comparison pricing
           IBM compats with Amigas.  They took the 'base' price of the
           Amiga and then added the cost of a mouse, a graphics card
           serial/parallel ports, windowing software etc.  These people
           DIDN'T KNOW the Amiga COMES with mouse, graphics, ports,
           a windowing operating system, etc.  They come from the
           IBM world and unfortunately, Commodore advertising never
           made this very basic set of facts clear to the general
           population.  Scary.
                                                    J. Petersen

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (01/29/91)

>    1.   Amiga versus Targa comparison/contrast
>           People are stating that the stock Amiga with 'only' 4096
>           colors is inferior to Targa boards.  This makes no sense.
>           The Targa cannot display ANY colors.  The Amiga is a computer,
>           the Targa is an add-on board (which by the way could be used
>           with the Amiga in the IBM slots, I presume).  The correct
>           comparison would be an Amiga with add-on boards to another
>           platform (or even the Amiga) with the Targa add-on board.
>           I'm tired of these apples and orange peel comparisons.

C'mon, when people do that comparison they are NOT comparing the Amiga with a
TARGA board.  They are comparing the Amiga's display output with the TARGA's
display output.  This is NOT comparing apples and oranges..although you would
certainly think so if you looked at both of the displays..<grin>

-- Bob

______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |       America Online: Graphics3d
FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com           |           Compuserve: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com (Troy Barlow) (02/17/91)

 To be fair, they should compare TARGA to TOASTER! The TOASTER has more
features, better resolution, and don't require a mortgage! Not to mention
the fact that it also don't require a CLONE ( I use the word CLONE because
thats what most people buy, not real IBM's... but thats another story..)!
 TARGA is just a display board... It sure as hell is not the best!
-- Troy Barlow

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!troyb
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!troyb@nosc.mil