[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Aether-net

In article <1396@tronsbox.xei.com> dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Heffernan) writes:
> In article <1991Feb14.172156.6910@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> |I've heard that the pentagram configuration works, but has the side
> |effect of turning all your files mode 0666. Sounds like a security hole
> |to me.

> 	Your sysadmin is facing the wrong way.  He has to sit facing the
> point of the pentagram, not the bottom.

Oh, I haven't tried it. A buddy of mine, however, said that there were
worse side effects that way. The system admin developed glowing red eyes
and started sacrificing source code to the line printer demon. I think he's
better now they've put him on a maintainance level of tibetan herbs.

> 	Besides, if you just route everything to the askantic (sp?) record,
> you won't even need hard drives...

Well, that's fine if you want every two-bit medium in the world having free
access to your proprietary secrets.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <19037@cbmvax.commodore.com> andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes:
> Almost any type of crystal will do for termination; but if you use a type
> that has healing properties the packets are less damaged during the
> collisions, and often recover soon after.

That's pretty clever. Do you attune the terminators to the system operators
or the systems themselves? I tried attuning them to the operators but the
20 MHz clock was causing them headaches. And when I cut the clock rate to
a true C system throughput dropped precipitously. But when I attuned the
crystals to the systems I didn't notice any healing effect. Not that I was
looking for it, of course. Do I need to start recruiting mediums and
sensitives?

> (Security is really the only use I'e found of the precog module;
> when I tried to use it for packet acknowledgement the replies kept
> comining in before the packet was actually sent, which really
> messed up my sequence numbering)

Oh, that's easy. You have to run the precog module on *all* the systems
if you're going to do that. Which vendor are you using? I had the Sirius
Cybernetics module on evaluation, but it kept interrupting the operators
with comments like "I *knew* you were going to type that!" and productivity
plummeted.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <4811@mindlink.UUCP> Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>      I tried this once, but a daemon came up and asked me for the
> root password, and now I can't get out.

If that's the TCP demon you can use the master password:

	SATOR
	AREPO
	TENET
	OPERA
	ROTAS

> What does control-D stand for, anyway?  Help!

It stands for Control Demon. It's the master demon for the pentagram variant
of the telepathic control protocol. Try that password, and if it doesn't work
let me know and I'll tell you how to use the "cc" (Call Cthulhu) program to
break infernal security.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb16.133022.2184@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.
>				     Try that password, and if it doesn't work
>let me know and I'll tell you how to use the "cc" (Call Cthulhu) program to
					       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>break infernal security.

I like it! (I'm a fan of H.P. Lovecraft.) Linking Cthulhu with C programming
is perfect!

--
Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
	    CIS: 74007,1165

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/19/91)

In article <cg.5530@ami-cg.UUCP> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>I like it! (I'm a fan of H.P. Lovecraft.) Linking Cthulhu with C programming
>is perfect!

	And it's easy too.  Just add the "-lC" option at the end of the
link statement.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |

In article <7609@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> 	And it's easy too.  Just add the "-lC" option at the end of the
> link statement.

And because the code-generators are the same you can use f77 (fiend-77) modules
as well.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.