[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Real Multitasking? :)

ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) (02/20/91)

   With all this talk about "True multitasking", I thought I'd relay certain
instances in which I use the multitasking ability of my Amiga. This is mainly
most part useless.

 Several times a week I will use a terminal program to download a large file
(or capture vast amounts of text) while I:

A- Decompress a large archive which I just received. Only, while this is being
   done I will still have nothing to "do"..so I play Empire (A very good war
   simulation board game.) while all this is being done.

B- Decompress a large archive which I just received. Only, while this is being
   done I will use my wordprocessor to write a message or reply to one.

C- Decompress a large archive which I just received. Only, while this is being
   done I will format new disks for the downloading of more software.

D- Decompress a large archive which I just received. Only, while this is being
   done I will try out any new software I have already decompressed.

 As you can see, this is only one small aspect of what I do while I'm multi-
tasking. Several other situations bring on unique cominations as well. My
machine consists of a "stock" 500 with 1 MEG RAM, two drives, printer, and
2400 baud modem with monitor. A few tech notes: I still get 233CPS using
Zmodem and almost no slowdown in software activity. I look forward to any
messages showing how other Amiga users use their machine in multitasking
combinations.

   Tom

--
       Why purchase a MAC when an Amiga with the same CPU will run 99% of all
    __ MAC software..and FASTER at that?! The same can be said of the IBM and

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) (02/20/91)

ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) writes:

>   With all this talk about "True multitasking", I thought I'd relay certain
>instances in which I use the multitasking ability of my Amiga. This is mainly
>most part useless.
>
> As you can see, this is only one small aspect of what I do while I'm multi-
>tasking. Several other situations bring on unique cominations as well. My
>machine consists of a "stock" 500 with 1 MEG RAM, two drives, printer, and
>2400 baud modem with monitor. A few tech notes: I still get 233CPS using
>Zmodem and almost no slowdown in software activity. I look forward to any
>messages showing how other Amiga users use their machine in multitasking
>combinations.
>
>   Tom

OK, you asked for it. Here's the output from my status command:

Process  1: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: rlogin
	I'm logged into the computer on which I'm reading this.
Process  2: stk 20000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: inet:serv/portmapd
Process  3: stk 20000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: inet:serv/inetd
	Server stuff for ethernet board.
Process  4: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: dviprint
	Printing a PasTeX file.
Process  5: stk 20000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: inet:c/NFSc
	For NFS connection (Really cool!).
Process  6: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: multiplot
	Trying to find the best way to plot some data.
Process  7: stk 10000, gv 150, pri  20 Loaded as command: sys:bin/mackie
	Screen blanker and hotkeys.
Process  8: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: clock
	Clock.
Process  9: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: calc3.0
	Handy calculator.
Process 10: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: ftp
	To transfer this file to uxa (where I'm writing this).
Process 11: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: maple
	Trying to do yet another integral it's probably won't be able
	to do.
Process 12: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: artm_ntsc
	So I like to snoop around to see what's going on with the
	system.
Process 13: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: status
	The command that produced this output.
Process 14: stk 15000, gv 150, pri  -1 Loaded as command: lc
Process 15: stk 15000, gv 150, pri  -1 Loaded as command: LC1
	Compiling a program I'm working on that will allow me to
	view data produced by a supercomputer run.
Process 15: stk 10000, gv 150, pri  -2 Loaded as command: pl
	A program I wrote to convert NCSA hdf data into a format
	Multiplot can understand. (This can take forever,
	I wish I had something more than my 7MHz 68000).
Process 16: stk 10000, gv 150, pri   0 Loaded as command: csh
	Actually this is just a csh shell sitting there doing
	nothing. Sometimes I like some of its features, although
	with alias and PD and SAS/C utilites, the Amiga shell
	almost can act like csh.  (No nice pipe syntax, though :-( )
Among other processes reported by ARTM
	VirusX
	PopUpMenu
	Workbench, etc.
This really pushes the limit of my A2000HD with 3 megs, though. In a
couple of minutes, the compiler and Maple will be done with their
tasks (Maple probably already is) and I'll go back to plotting my data
and working on my paper (The plots will be part of the paper. It's nice
to be able to flip screens and have the plot available) and quit wasting
time reading newsnotes.

Regards,
Richard
gerber@rigel.astro.uiuc.edu
ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (02/20/91)

In article <21294@know.pws.bull.com> ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) writes:
[stuff about multitasking deleted]

> As you can see, this is only one small aspect of what I do while I'm multi-
>tasking. Several other situations bring on unique cominations as well. My
>machine consists of a "stock" 500 with 1 MEG RAM, two drives, printer, and
>2400 baud modem with monitor. A few tech notes: I still get 233CPS using
>Zmodem and almost no slowdown in software activity. I look forward to any
>messages showing how other Amiga users use their machine in multitasking
>combinations.

I find it most usefull when printing something.  My printer is slow so to kill
the time, I log on to the school computer system and go into read news to catch
up on comp.sys.advocacy or whatever my heart desires.  Or, I can go into my
paint program which I usually have running concurrently with my word processor
and catch up on my art as I wait for my printer to finish.  I also use the
Amiga as a remote terminal when doing my programming assignments, capture
text to a buffer, load it into a text editor, touch it up some, then print it;
all the while, I am still doing work on the school's computers.  Or I...Well
you get the picture.  Best of all, I don't have to load a special program or do
any 'tricks' to get all this to happen.

>   Tom
>

>--
>       Why purchase a MAC when an Amiga with the same CPU will run 99% of all
>    __ MAC software..and FASTER at that?! The same can be said of the IBM and
> __/// Atari computers, and I can run those in a window. IBM's greatest sales
> \XX/  tool is ignorance on the consumer's part. Only the Amiga! DEVO Anyone?

--
Darin Sheriff; Amiga 1000 owner.        dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu
People don't pirate software.  Computers pirate software.

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/21/91)

In article <21294@know.pws.bull.com> ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) writes:

>   With all this talk about "True multitasking", I thought I'd relay certain
>instances in which I use the multitasking ability of my Amiga. This is mainly
>most part useless.

  Imagine 1,000,000 computer owners with modems. Now imagine one UNIX
mainframe.

  YOU ARE IN QUEUE - 999,999 TO GO...

  I can only imagine a mainframe that didn't multitask! :)

eww@engr.ucf.edu (Mr. Eric W. Wampner) (02/21/91)

In article <21294@know.pws.bull.com> ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) writes:

>   With all this talk about "True multitasking", I thought I'd relay certain
>instances in which I use the multitasking ability of my Amiga. This is mainly

:stuff removed:

>A- Decompress a large archive which I just received. Only, while this is being
>   done I will still have nothing to "do"..so I play Empire (A very good war
>   simulation board game.) while all this is being done.

:stuff removed:

>2400 baud modem with monitor. A few tech notes: I still get 233CPS using
>Zmodem and almost no slowdown in software activity. I look forward to any
>messages showing how other Amiga users use their machine in multitasking
>combinations.
>
>   Tom

Well, I noticed that you spend a great deal of time decompressing archives,
I suggest a 3000 for this, or maybe zoo. As for ZMODEM, I find it eats CPU
time like no other protocol. But then GOMF was using 19%, which I guess
could be considered idle. Personally I play Empire while waiting for
my downloads to complete. or I use sneaker net.

Speaking of Empire, have they come out with a version that supports serial
connections (not the PD, the Commercial Software)?

Is my Amiga Perfect, NO, I would kill for a mac screen, but pay the mac,
price? NO WAY. (money, and speed)

Eric Wampner
eww@engr.ucf.edu