[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Motorolla Personal Computer ?

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (02/20/91)

I was looking through the latest Scientific American, and on the
front inside cover, there's an ad from Motorolla about their new 88K based
"Personal Computers".  There wasn't much objective info in the ad, mostly
marketroid hype and sell-words ("Solutions" agh).  They showed a unit with a
screen shot which looked like it was running Open Look.  They also mentioned
something called a "Media Engine" chip for graphics and sound.  Sounds pretty
close to the design philosophy of the Amiga.  Anyone know more about this
thing ?  Is it priced competitively with the A3000UX ?

C'ya,
Jim
--
+--------------------------+      _
|INET:  jimb@faatcrl.uucp  |     | \
|UUCP:  ..!rutgers!faatcrl!|    _|  \______________________________________
|      jimb                |   - ______        ________________          \_`,
+------------------------- + -(_______            -=    -=        USAF       )
                                      `--------=============----------------`
                                                -   -
                                               -   -
                                    `   . .  -  -
                                     .*` .* ;`*,`.,
                                      `, ,`.*.*. *
 ______________________________________*  * ` ^ *____________________________
                IRAQ

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (02/21/91)

In article <1013@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>I was looking through the latest Scientific American, and on the
>front inside cover, there's an ad from Motorolla about their new 88K based
>"Personal Computers".  There wasn't much objective info in the ad, mostly
>marketroid hype and sell-words ("Solutions" agh).  They showed a unit with a
>screen shot which looked like it was running Open Look.  They also mentioned
>something called a "Media Engine" chip for graphics and sound.  Sounds pretty
>close to the design philosophy of the Amiga.  Anyone know more about this
>thing ?  Is it priced competitively with the A3000UX ?
>
>Jim
>|INET:  jimb@faatcrl.uucp  |     | \

Damn.  Not another "A3000UX vs ?????".  (Please dont take offense at that.)

Motorola makes several computers based on it's CPUs (680x0, and 88K).  All of
them run UNIX or sorts.  None of them compare very well with the A3000UX
because they are targeted tward the large company and are priced likewise (I
have not asked motorola about it, but I would be suprised if it is less than
$10,000).

In addition, the 88000 CPU in them is quite a different ballgame than the
68030 in the Amiga.  It has about 4 times the performance in integer math
alone.

If you'all (comp.sys.amiga.advocacy readers in general) insist on comparing
the A3000UX with other machines, please limit it to comparing 030 machines with
030 machines, or machines in the same MARKET.  Some of the previous comparisons
were a bit rediculous.

					- David K

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (02/21/91)

In article <1013@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>I was looking through the latest Scientific American, and on the
>front inside cover, there's an ad from Motorolla about their new 88K based
>"Personal Computers".  There wasn't much objective info in the ad, mostly
>marketroid hype and sell-words ("Solutions" agh).  They showed a unit with a
>screen shot which looked like it was running Open Look.  They also mentioned
>something called a "Media Engine" chip for graphics and sound.  Sounds pretty
>close to the design philosophy of the Amiga.  Anyone know more about this
>thing ?  Is it priced competitively with the A3000UX ?

I haven't seen it, but I would guess NOT. The 88k line are high-end RISCS
which compete with MIPS R[23]000's, and Intel i860 chips. It'll most likely
be expensive as hell. (Kinda reminds you of a Cray, very little bang for the
buck, but, boy, thats one HELL of a bang!)

--
   //   Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
 \X/  joseph@valnet.UUCP     jph@irie.ais.org       jph@albert.ai.mit.edu