[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga reliability

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (02/22/91)

In article <1107@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU
(Paul W. Brooks) writes:

>Durable and reliable??  Commodore?
>How many times have you had to replace your mouse?
>Does anyone know of a viable 3rd party Amiga-compatible mouse?
>How many of you are still using the original mouse that came with your
>system!

I bought an A1000 in the second month they were out (October 1985?). Nothing
has been replaced - the mouse and keyboard are just fine (getting pretty
grungy, however). The original 1080 monitor (still snapping away) is what I'm
using right now with my A2500, which also is using all of its original
pieces.

I did have to replace a bad sound chip in the A1000, but it was that way
from the start. Also, I managed to blow the CPU chip in the A1000 with a
SOTS hard disk controller (I believe I heard the static sparks when I
connected it, so I can hardly blame the CPU!).

How much do I use them? A LOT. I've must've written 100,000 lines of code
on them, and I have a 4 foot shelf crammed with games I've bought & played.

Minor complaints: the monitor still snaps; the 'f' key on the A2000 keyboard
sometimes sticks; the left button on the A2000 mouse has been beaten on by
some ham-fisted friends (Hi Don!) and occasionally misses (its recovering).

Sounds pretty reliable to me.

--
Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
	    CIS: 74007,1165