[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Procgnition modules

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (02/23/91)

In <1991Feb16.132436.2110@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Oh, that's easy. You have to run the precog module on *all* the systems
>if you're going to do that. Which vendor are you using? I had the Sirius
>Cybernetics module on evaluation, but it kept interrupting the operators
>with comments like "I *knew* you were going to type that!" and productivity
>plummeted.

I used a Farechild unit a while back, which improved my productivity
because it wouldn't even allow me to make program changes it knew,
wouldn't work. Eventually though, it analysed the operating system and
became extremely depressed, displaying nothing more than "error 42",
and the occasional comment about all the diodes down the left side
"hurting".

The final straw was when I started the "life" game, and it responded:
"Life, don't talk to me about life." Of course, I returned the module
to the manufacturer, who has not yet fixed the problem yet, because
all the designers have become manic depressive. They were unable to
allude to the meaning of the error 42, other than the original
programmer's comments in the source code saying:

	exit(3);	/* I told you so! */

The whole exercise seems, in retrospect, to have been a WOFTAM, as all
the code I produced while the unit is was bug-free, and I don't have
any more support contracts. God, I'm so depressed!

p.s. should we move this thread elsewhere?
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sale \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337