[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Commodore and reliability Re: AMIGAstation...

 pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) writes:

> Durable and reliable?? Commodore?

Actually not that bad. My very nearly five year old A1000 is still
running all original equipment, my (purchased used) A2000 is also doing
just fine, even running set on edge for the last two years.

> How many times have you had to replace your mouse?

Never yet, though rolling mice are a nuisance, I have to take them
apart for thorough cleaning every two to four weeks.

> Does anyone know of a viable 3rd party Amiga-compatible mouse?

Lots of folks like the Boing! optical mouse, but it's a bit pricy.

> How many of you are still using the original mouse that came with your
> system!

Yep both machines on their orignal mice.  Biggest danger seems to be the
little teflon feet wearing off, plus I had a teen aged kid drop one and
pop an encoder wheel's axle out of the plastic bushing once, but I was
able to disassemble the mouse and just pop the axel back in place with
no more problems.

My biggest gripe has been the (onging) use of cheesy monitors with known
hardware problems, and the second worst the dust magnet keyboards that
fill up with cat furze and then get stuck keys (a plastic key cover
fixed that), but as a system, the Amigas have been very capable of 12-16
hour a day use and 24 hour a day power-on.

Kent, the man from xanth.