[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] How to beat a NeXTy

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (02/25/91)

In article <9728@uwm.edu>, gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) writes:
> From article <1991Feb23.014310.4975@cc.helsinki.fi>, by jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi: {>>
>> Editing _synthesizer_ sounds is quite different from editing samples.
>> You _can_ send samples through MIDI but it is so slooow.
>>

> 	Yes, but you only need to do it once.  Once it's through, you can save
> it on the master, or on the computer...  And most master keyboards do have disk
> drives, yes.  At least most of the good and useful ones do...

If you only need to use sample-based sounds (raw data) occasionally,
editing with a computer and playing with sampler is ok. But if your work
is BASED on this (as it has to be on more advanced synthesis), I
wouldn't recommend it...

>> Well, SoundTools for MAC has the same Motorola 560001 chip than NeXT
>> does. So do many other boards. There are boards containing 8 DSPs and
>> more for NeXT (and surely for other computers, too).
>>

> Oh, that's great.  I'm sure there ARE boards containing 8 or more dsp's.  Of
> course, only the CUBE can use BOARDS!!!  The NeXTStation is "scuzzy cludges",
> not "state of the art boards"....  It has no "slots".  And since that is the
> comparison at hand...

Well, I think I can live with one DSP quite well. I am not aiming for
real-time. BTW, are there any programs/languages and multi-DSP systems
for the Amiga?

>>> ports exist for the NeXT, is sound manuplating software there?
>>
>> You can use the MAC midi interfaces on NeXT, too. NeXT isn't the
>> ulitmate _MIDI_ platform, but the people at music research seldom use
>> MIDI anyway. MIDI is just a slowish interface for commercial keyboards
>> etc. (It would be nice to see a good MIDI sequencer on NeXT, though.)
>>

> It may be slow, and it may be poor at times.  But it is a STANDARD, it is
> WIDELY USED, and it is COMMON among electronic synthesizers and instruments.
> The support is there.  The interface is there.  The standard is there.  The
> NeXTStation is NOT.  The Amiga IS.  I'd say that's a plus.

We are talking about two quite different markets. MIDI is the way to go
if you are a musician wanting to use electronic instruments. If you want
to research, though, MIDI isn't so important (or off-the-shelf
MIDI-software, actually). Remember, you can have the MIDI-interface on
the NeXT. It shouldn't be too difficult to make simple MIDI-reading
software (actually, there is such software for NeXT, I think there is
some bundled with the machine). If you have no intention to program
yourself, I wouldn't recommend NeXT at this stage.

>>> 	Most of the people I know use MacII and Amigas and non that I
>>> know use the NeXT, hell most of them didn't know what it was or had even
>>> heard of Stevie Jobs.  Reason simple because it doesn't have MIDI or the
>>> software to support it.
>>
>> NeXT doesn't have many _MIDI_ programs, but MIDI is a kind of a dinosaur
>> (or will be) anyway. NeXT is more suitable for more advanced music
>> usage, like Csound etc. _Any_ computer can handle MIDI. I have had an
>> Atari MEGA4 for 5 years and I have used with several MIDI synthesizers,
>> etc. Now I want to leave that behind and move to something different and
>> more flexible.
>>

> 	Yes, but that doesn't exist for it, either.  It's a lovely idea, but it
> is not as widely used, or as common as MIDI.  Also, not ANY computer can.  But
> the ATARI systems are built around it, and most 16-32 bit processors can handle
> it.  It's nice that you want to leave it behind, but on the next, YOU DIDN'T
> LEAVE ANYTHING!  You have gone from a computer with GREAT MIDI support, and
> gone to a computer with support for a built-in DSP.  And that will replace
> MIDI???

Yup, the DSP support is more welcome than MIDI support for me. And I DO
have some MIDI support, too!

> I believe that maybe there are ways to get around the SLUGGISHNESS of
> MIDI.  That is part of my job...  I've found a way to get around most of the
> problems that occur.  But, unless everyone plans on a "build-it-yourself"
> response on MIDI software for the NEXT, you're up **** creek without a paddle,
> if you have no software...  Are there any CSOUND implementations for the NeXT?
> Or is it as much vaporware as MIDI on the NeXT?  Or do you need to use the
> Macintosh interface for THAT, TOO???

There is NeXTstep version of Csound. There are also PD programs that do
FM synthesis, digital filtration, etc, etc... None of that stuff is
available for the Atari. (Or Csound might be, but it would be sloow and
I would still have to get the DSP somehow...)