[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Old news? `Boom quarter for Commodore'

Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.UUCP (Ernie Gorrie) (02/26/91)

> dlb5404@tamuts.tamu.edu writes:
>
> How can a Canadian citizen who lives in Nassau, Bahamas most of the time (to
> avoid paying
> US taxes) manage a US company when he's in the country only
> 2/5 of the time?  (Check a back issue of Forbes from a couple
> years ago.)
> --Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404@{rigel,tamuts}.tamu.edu

        My brother-in-law manages the computer division of a large forestry
industry company here in British Columbia.  He is in the main office of the
company, (his base office) perhaps 20% of his time.  During the past month he
has been there two days.  This is not extra-ordinary.  The development of
technology such as the telephone :) and fax machines (as well as computers :)
has allowed for much work to be done without a person being physically present.
--
No Fancy Signature Here Just: Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.UUCP
(Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (02/26/91)

"The Australian", Tue Feb 26 1991, pg 39

Commodore International Ltd has reported a 24 per cent rise in
revenue, to $US384.1 million, for its second quarter to December 31.

Profit for the period more than tripled to $US36.5 million compared
with $US11.3 million in the same quarter last year.

The chairman and chief executive officer of Commodore, Mr. Irving
Gould, said the December quarter was the second largest sales quarter
in the company's history.

#include <std.disclaimer>

Would someone in the know like to comment?

---------------

Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

dlb5404@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) (02/26/91)

In article <2732@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>Commodore International Ltd has reported a 24 per cent rise in
>revenue, to $US384.1 million, for its second quarter to December 31.

This is great!  I noticed yesterday that their stock price is
approaching $20/share.

>The chairman and chief executive officer of Commodore, Mr. Irving
>Gould, said the December quarter was the second largest sales quarter
>in the company's history.

Gould's a twit.  Quote of the year two or three years ago from
him was, "I don't use computers."  How can a Canadian citizen
who lives in Nassau, Bahamas most of the time (to avoid paying
US taxes) manage a US company when he's in the country only
2/5 of the time?  (Check a back issue of Forbes from a couple
years ago.)

It is truly a credit to Commodore's designers that the Amiga is
still around in spite of Gould's gross mismanagement of the
company.

Just my $.02..

--Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404@{rigel,tamuts}.tamu.edu