[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Lazy Hackers

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (03/02/91)

In <19294@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>"Did it wrong" == People who, intentionally or unintentionally, broke our
>original rule that all Amiga code had to run in a full 32 bit address space.
>The 68000 hardware gives you only 24 bits of actual address.  Some lazy
>hacker types in the early days of 68000 coding figured they could stuff some
>useful stuff in the extra 8 bits of address pointers.  Knowing of this
>practice, the original pre-A1000 ROM Kernel Manuals made this practice
>strictly forbidden.  But this didn't stop everyone from doing it anyway.

Which "lazy hackers"? I suppose C= could have refused to pay one of
them :-) That would have stopped them. I don't think Bill wouldn't do
anything unless he was making money out of it :-)
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sale \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337

In article <1991Mar2.050325.1992@metapro.DIALix.oz.au> bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) writes:
>In <19294@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>"Did it wrong" == People who, intentionally or unintentionally, broke our
>>original rule that all Amiga code had to run in a full 32 bit address space.
>>The 68000 hardware gives you only 24 bits of actual address.  Some lazy
>>hacker types in the early days of 68000 coding figured they could stuff some
>>useful stuff in the extra 8 bits of address pointers.

>Which "lazy hackers"? I suppose C= could have refused to pay one of
>them :-) That would have stopped them. I don't think Bill wouldn't do
>anything unless he was making money out of it :-)

Well, except for the obvious example of AmigaBASIC, none of the other offending
programs were under Commodore's control.  I don't think most such software
contracts are written such that the buyer can get out of paying the seller if
the code has bugs, even if they're "intentional bugs".  Though that likely
hastened the replacement of AmigaBASIC with AmigaVision in the newer systems.
Which, in the end, makes less money for Bill.  So, maybe crime pays, but it
hopefully doesn't keep paying....

>Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett