[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] New PS/2 ad vs. AMIGA

u3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/07/91)

G'day,

this article was in comp.sys.amiga and I thought it'd receive a better audience
in comp.sys.amiga.advocacy so I've sent it there and reset followups ... I hope

SANIIC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

> Well I just caught a glimpse of a new PS/2 ad on tv.  It tries to compare
> I believe the MAC to the PS/2.  Saying that some computers can only do one
> thing at a time (demonstrating a desktop publishing package) It then goes on
> to say that the PS/2 can put graphics and text on the same page and still
> have enough power to get a file using the modem.  Meanwhile it tries to show
> a speed comparison by stating that the machine that can do only one thing at
> a time would be much less productive(slower).  Anyways I thought this was
> the type of ad CBM should be using.  All they have to do is to put a PS/2
> and a A500 and compare them.
>                            PS/2             A500
> cost(with colour monitor)  $1800            $1000+800 for harddrive
> processor                  10Mhz 80286      7 Mhz 68000
> speed without multitasking is about the same
> speed with multitasking    VERY SLOW        MUCH FASTER
> sound                      extra            built in 4 channel stereo
> graphics                   slow             coprocessor for speed
>                                             (show Animation)
> software                   both have almost same core packages
>                                             more sound/graphics packages
> Emulations                 Mac with Card    Mac with cheaper card
>                                             IBM with card or software
>                                             C64 in software
>                                             Atari in software
>                                             Z81 in software
>                                             Apple II+ in software
>
> I wish CBM would do a better job marketing their product to a wider audience.
> Only the people who KNOW computers can appreciate its superiority.  Maybe they
> should try a marketing campaign set towards the average person, but be sure to
> not emphasize games.  For graphics demos show movie clips or ray traced pics
> including how long it took to generate them.  Have stereo sound playing, a
> modem running, a spreadsheet calculating, a WYSIWYG word processor running and
> maybe a small object rotating in the background(or a SMALL multitasking game)
> Show the ease of use from the workbench(everything iconized) show how easy it
> is to setup a new program on the harddisk and compare that to setting up one
> in Windows 3.0(if it works at all)
>
> I think with a wider target audience CBM will eventually bump out IBM from the
> top $$$ spot.  But if it remains a hidden treasure only a relatively few
> people will appreciate it.
>
> These are my opinions, and the only reason I mention them is the fact that I
> felt it should have been CBM making that ad comparing itself against all other
> home computers, instead of IBM.  What are the marketing people doing?  I have
> only once seen an Amiga ad on TV.  IBM ads on the other hand all the time.

I've re-edited the text a little but I have a gut feeling the 80 col text that
I left as is may display badly with some news readers... Sorry!

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

PS:  I think it goes without saying that I support the above arguments.  Yes I
am aware that this type of ad has been suggested before .... so when will this
type of ad be shown :-)  {Apologies if such do exist and I don't know of them}

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (03/08/91)

From article <1991Mar7.120320.1698@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, by u3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo):
>> have enough power to get a file using the modem.  Meanwhile it tries to show
>> a speed comparison by stating that the machine that can do only one thing at
>> a time would be much less productive(slower).  Anyways I thought this was
>> the type of ad CBM should be using.  All they have to do is to put a PS/2

Years ago there was a disk-based demo put out by C= that demonstrated
this.  Ran a bit long for a TV ad though.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.