[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Go Amiga

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/08/91)

>In article <1991Mar4.022332.8904@csn.org> ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) writes:
>>Think about the target market for each machine.  The Amiga computers are not
>>designed to be great computers, but they are designed to take a big chunck out
>>of the game market.  They don't have much power, but they are given great
>>graphics and sound to make for good game machines.  Macs are too expensive to

I would like to know what this assertion is based on.  There were several posts
on comp.sys.amiga several months ago comparing an Amiga 3000 with all of the
Macs.  The Amiga was under the Amax emulator running a Mac program called
Speedometer which measures computer speed in several different ways.  The
Amiga 3000 turned out to run faster than all of the Macs except the fx which
costs nearly three times as much.

Also, Commodore is now after the Scientific and Higher Education markets.  No
one will ever catch up with IBM in the business market.  I listened to a
prominent engineer speak yesterday and he said that one thing you'd better
bring with you to the engineering field is knowlege in the use of computers,
and, he said, especially in computer graphics!  So, graphics and graphics
co-processors are important in more than just games.

Also, while I'm on my soapbox. ...there was some German guy on Computer
Cronicles (sp?) awhile back and he was making comparisons between the german
and american markets.  He that in America, Joe Sixpack will hop out of his
car, run into a coputer store, look around for 15 minutes, and will buy a Mac
with his credit card.  In Germany, the german buyer will shop around for at
the very least, a month or two before spending that kind of money.  The german
buyer will ask each representive for technical specifications, techinical
evaluations, and will get third party technical evaluations, and he will read
all of the above before buying a computer.  All computer stores in Germany,
keep plenty of specifications and evaluations around due to the constant demand
for them. ....well  Amiga is the largest selling computer in Germany as it is
in the UK and in europe in gereral.  That has to tell you something.  And I
also believe it will do better here amoung technically oriented people who
will also base their purchases, at least in part, on a technical evaluation
rather than  ...a 30 second TV comercial or something.  The software will
follow.  There is already a lot of good stuff coming out of europe and else
where.  Some guy from New Zealand (sp?) just this week came out with
IBeM which is an XT emulator for only $30.

                                  Gad!
                                                   NCW