[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Open letter to CBM Sweden

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar3.095856.11766@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:

>What is happening with CBM Sweden?
     I'll count that as a retoric question.
>Is Commodore going to continue losing money on the PC-clone market or are they
>going for the Amiga/Unix market?
     We are _making_ money, both from our PC line, and the Amiga line. The
     UNIX boxes is not marketed in Sweden yet.
>Are the prices going to remain twice those of the rest of the world?
     They aren't.
>Does CBM sweden know what Unix is?
     Yup.
>Will CBM Int'l sack the ms-dos loving people at cbm sweden
     No.
>and hire some AmigaDOS/Unix people?
     No comment, I am not in a position to comment on this.
>Will the dealers be told about the Unix-machines?
     Yes.
>Is cbm sweden getting paid by the competition not to market the larger
>amigas in a competitive way?
     No.
>Will cbm sweden meet the apple challenge or lose the higher education market to
>mac and ms-dos altogether?
     I wasn't aware that Apple had challenged us. However we have an
     educational program, which includes discounts and other things. Can't
     say I know too much about it though, I work at the support department.
>Does cbm int'l know how much cbm sweden is screwing up?
     "cbm int'l" knows what we are doing in Sweden, but they don't call it
     screwing up. Only you do.
>These and many other questions will probably be answered... Real Soon Now.
     Some of these questions are valid, and some aren't. What is clear
     however is that this is the wrong forum to ask them. Absolutely _none_
     from management in Commodore Sweden reads the comp.sys.amiga.* groups,
     so no one will notice your complaints.

     I was hinted to your message by a friend who finds time to read all
     the nonsens newsgroups, so it was very much "by accident" that you
     get any kind of response at all. But judging from the tone in your
     letter, I don't think you realized that someone just might see it.

     If you have complaints or suggestions, the best thing is to write a
     letter to the President of Commodore Sweden:

     Commodore AB
     Attn: VD Reidar Elle
     Box 8184
     S-163 08 SPAANGA (the two AA's is a A with a ring above)
     SWEDEN

     That way your opinions will be known to the management, and not only
     to a technical support person, with no influence whatsoever over how
     Commodore Sweden is run.

     Since I don't read this newsgroup normally, I will not follow up on any
     comments or questions anyone might have. I know some of my answers
     will probably provoke more questions, but I simply don't have the
     authority to say any more, and no one from management is available
     on the net.

>Sorry about this but I just boiled over when I phoned the local dealer ( a good
>one ) to find out about the prizes for A3000UXD. The response was something
>like: A3000U???, you mean the unix Amiga? We have heard of it too. We don't
>know when or if it will be released in sweden. The price? Well, we don't know
>really, in excess of $7000. Yes, that's with educational discount!
     Neither dealers, nor I, have any idea of what the prices of the UNIX
     boxes will be. It was wrong of them to state a price.
>[ The $7000 price is a guess at the price of the smallest unix amiga, it will
>probably be higher ]
>
>/Jorgen, soon to be former amiga fanatic
>
>Commodore does not deserve the Amiga, they deserve the mac!
>
>Disclaimer: This is a flame towards cbm sweden and anyone associated with
>running the swedish subsidiary of cbm rather than cbm int'l itself.
     I have always thought it is cowardly to flame someone, when the subject
     don't have the chance to defend himself!

Peter Hjalmarsson, Amiga Support, Commodore Sweden
...{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (03/03/91)

What is happening with CBM Sweden?

Is Commodore going to continue losing money on the PC-clone market or are they
going for the Amiga/Unix market? Are the prices going to remain twice those of
the rest of the world? Does CBM sweden know what Unix is? Will CBM Int'l sack
the ms-dos loving people at cbm sweden and hire some AmigaDOS/Unix people?
Will the dealers be told about the Unix-machines? Is cbm sweden getting paid
by the competition not to market the larger amigas in a competitive way? Will
cbm sweden meet the apple challenge or lose the higher education market to
mac and ms-dos altogether? Does cbm int'l know how much cbm sweden is screwing
up?

tope@imdpy1.im.se (Torbj|rn Pettersson IMD) (03/09/91)

>>Will cbm sweden meet the apple challenge or lose the higher education market to
>>mac and ms-dos altogether?
>     I wasn't aware that Apple had challenged us. However we have an
>     educational program, which includes discounts and other things. Can't
>     say I know too much about it though, I work at the support department.

What??? Wearing those shades again??
What do you call the 'Classic' series from Apple?
I would certenly call it a challange. The way these machines are priced
they are cerain to attract a whole lot of people that otherwise would
buy a A2000. And thats no challange???

>>Does cbm int'l know how much cbm sweden is screwing up?
>     "cbm int'l" knows what we are doing in Sweden, but they don't call it
>     screwing up. Only you do.

Im quite sure that the original poster ain't the only one.
Just look at the current situation in Stockholm.
The only ones who sells Amiga's is 'Stor & Liten' and 'Datakompaniet'.
'Stor & Liten' is a toystore, and don't have the A2000, and
'Datakompaniet' is totally uninterested in selling any machines at all,
even though 'Datacompaniet' is said to be the company that is handling
the distribution from Commodore to the other stores.

>Peter Hjalmarsson, Amiga Support, Commodore Sweden
>...{uunet|rutgers|pyramid}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

Mvh Tobbe

--
-----
Torbj|rn Pettersson			Tel	08 - 676 51 70