[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga coverage in Byte

CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu (03/01/91)

The latest issue of Byte contains a letter that states that the recent lack of
Amiga coverage shows a blatant disreguard for the Amiga which borders on
jealousy.  The reply Byte had was that it had either printed articles on, or
mentioned the Amiga 57 times in the past year, and stated that they also
mentioned the lead the Amiga has in SCSI performance.
              BUT...
                    In the same magazine the Amiga is only seen twice:
      Once in this letter (Byte probably counts this as ten times, since the
         name itself was mentioned this many times), and
      There was a review of a SCSI card in the _What's New?_ section.

   There was no other mention of the Amiga in this entire 300+ page issue!

                     In addition:

      A review of a multimedia product (software, I believe), for the IBM
actually stated that the product was slow, and the interface exceedingly poor.
The reviewer's conclusion was, "If this is the best IBM animation product
produced, my money's on Apple."

       Apple?  An article about an IBM animation program, and he compares it to
 _Apple's_ animation!!?

                   Byte hypes itself as an industry-wide magazine, but is
                  99.99834% IBM magazine.
 Actually there was only one article on the Mac in the magazine, and none on
 any other systems besides IBM (None on the NeXT, Atari STs, Sun Workstations,
 etc.).  There was a nice big ad from Sun though.  But not one Commodore ad.
 This is where Commodore ads aimed at the business market would do well.
 Now I know why Sun has done so well.  I'll admit that although relatively
 high priced, they do their jobs efficiently (Well, there was a review of a
 Sparcstation, too).

          Byte is not an 'industry-wide computer publication'.  Quite the
          opposite, it is an 'IBM standard industry publication, with one or
          two articles/product reviews for other systems sprinkled
          here-and-there for good measure'.

          There are plenty of products for other systems that are better than
          the ones reviewed in Byte, but for some reason Byte reserves coverage
          for IBM products alone. Unless it is a completely new computer system
          or something as important as the Video Toaster, Byte doesn't cover
          other systems at all.

                  Chris Winward
            userid CXW148 on psuvm.psu.edu

Disclaimer: This note does not exist, therefore you are not reading it now :-)

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (03/01/91)

CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>The latest issue of Byte contains a letter that states that the recent lack of
>Amiga coverage shows a blatant disreguard for the Amiga which borders on
>jealousy.  The reply Byte had was that it had either printed articles on, or
>mentioned the Amiga 57 times in the past year, and stated that they also
>mentioned the lead the Amiga has in SCSI performance.
>              BUT...
> [it has overwhelming IBM coverage etc]

Well, figure it out: probably a hundred PClone support companies
send in news and review equipment each month, with pictures and so on.
In addition, many of them advertise in BYTE.  How many Amiga companies
do either?

In the US, there are (roughly - corrections welcome) 40 million PCs,
4 or 5 million Macs, and 0.5 million Amigas (and guess how many of those
very likely are mostly game-oriented? dunno).  Combine that ratio with
the incoming news slant and Ami authors and reader interest stats and amount
of $$ spent per owner, and the Amiga is probably over-covered in BYTE :-).

So: write some articles, and send lots of nice <== letters saying how
much you and the other thousand people in your office <g> enjoyed the
latest Amiga coverage!  Ummm.. and come up with a laptop Amiga or
Amiga clone or something else exciting along those lines.

I mean, just what exactly is new for the Amiga?  They've already covered
the A3000 and Exec and the Toaster.  Perhaps an article on all the new
add-on gfx boards would be accepted, for instance.  Go for it!
   best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/01/91)

In article <91059.184958CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu> CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>                   Byte hypes itself as an industry-wide magazine, but is
>                  99.99834% IBM magazine.

Let's take this from the top.  There are some 75 million DOS boxes out
there.  There are 4.5 million macintoshes.  Lord knows how many unix
systems are currently running.  How many Amigas have been sold?

Compare the percentage sold to the amount of editorial space each machine
gets.  Think of economics.  Think of trying to sell magazines to the widest
possible audience.

> Actually there was only one article on the Mac in the magazine, and none on
> any other systems besides IBM (None on the NeXT, Atari STs, Sun Workstations,
> etc.).  There was a nice big ad from Sun though.  But not one Commodore ad.

>          There are plenty of products for other systems that are better than
>          the ones reviewed in Byte, but for some reason Byte reserves coverage
>          for IBM products alone. Unless it is a completely new computer system
>          or something as important as the Video Toaster, Byte doesn't cover
>          other systems at all.

Funny you should mention the Video Toaster.  There is a very nice review on
pages 245 through 254 in the March 1991 issue of Byte.  The "action summary:"

- Newtek Video Toaster

- What you'll like
    The Video Toaster is the most complete desktop video production product
    available, an incredible value at $1595.

- What you'll dislike
    It's not the Toaster's fault, but it'll cost you to really put it to
    full use.  Around $25,000 for a starter setup (including the Amiga) is
    reasonable.

- Who should buy
    Businesses, schools, and other institutions or individuals wishing to
    produce high-quality videos and presentations.

- System requirements
    Amiga 2000 or 2500 with 7 MB of memory, an Amiga 1080-series or
    compatible monitor, and an empty video slot

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (03/01/91)

From article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, by stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton):
> Let's take this from the top.  There are some 75 million DOS boxes out
> there.  There are 4.5 million macintoshes.  Lord knows how many unix
> systems are currently running.  How many Amigas have been sold?
>
> Compare the percentage sold to the amount of editorial space each machine
> gets.  Think of economics.  Think of trying to sell magazines to the widest
> possible audience.

Okay.  We have over 2 million.  Doesn't that mean we should get at LEAST half
the coverage that the Macintosh does???  God knows we're better... :)

> - System requirements
>     Amiga 2000 or 2500 with 7 MB of memory, an Amiga 1080-series or
>     compatible monitor, and an empty video slot

Does it really require 7 meg of memory?  That's something I didn't know.  I
mean, I knew it took a lot of memory, but I didn't know it took THAT much.
Is that BEFORE modules (tracing, painting) are loaded, or is that DVI with
both loaded???
							Greg

--
gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu | Amigas, Amigas everywhere, but not a one can think.
----Gregory R Block---- | Where's an AI when you need one?

In article <9833@uwm.edu> gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>From article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, by stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton):
>>
>> - System requirements
>>     Amiga 2000 or 2500 with 7 MB of memory, an Amiga 1080-series or
>>     compatible monitor, and an empty video slot
>>
>Does it really require 7 meg of memory?  That's something I didn't know.  I
>mean, I knew it took a lot of memory, but I didn't know it took THAT much.
>Is that BEFORE modules (tracing, painting) are loaded, or is that DVI with
>both loaded???

Can't tell exactly from the article.  To quote:

  [after describing a $4000 one-channel time-base corrector/frame sync]
  There are other extra-cost factors that I'll cover as I go along, but the
  most important is memory:  The Toaster documentation laments those users
  who have "only 5 megabytes of memory" and recommends 7 MB or more.  It's
  not kidding; don't even bother trying to run the Toaster software in a
  3-MB machine.

In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
> Let's take this from the top.  There are some 75 million DOS boxes out
> there.  There are 4.5 million macintoshes.  Lord knows how many unix
> systems are currently running.  How many Amigas have been sold?

Over two million. About half as many as Macs... but many of those are now
obsolete and incapable of running the latest software. Subtract out all the
PCs in embedded applications, point of sale terminals, and so on. In terms
of the number of smart-but-not-expert computer users BYTE claims to cater to
it's probably only a 10:1 ratio in IBM's direction, with about equal numbers
for the Mac and Amiga.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Mar1.022501.18594@ncsu.edu>, kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes...
>CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I mean, just what exactly is new for the Amiga?  They've already covered
>the A3000 and Exec and the Toaster.  Perhaps an article on all the new
>add-on gfx boards would be accepted, for instance.  Go for it!
>   best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

I took the time to research the period from which Byte's editor Fred
Langa got his figure of 57 mentions of the Amiga.  I was able to find
something over 37 of them.  From January through October 1990, Amiga
received 12 one-line mentions in various articles, 3 listings in
resource guides, 4 "What's New" product announcements and 4 letters
asking for more Amiga coverage.  10 articles or "sidebar" boxes
contained decent coverage of the Amiga or software products that run on
Amiga, including the A3000 "First Impression."  The A3000UX preview ran
after this period.

But consider this: Byte has never run a full review of any Amiga
machine, complete with benchmarks.  All they've had is "First
Impression" previews of preproduction models.  Other machines in this
category include the Apple IIGS and Sun's 386-based Unix workstation.

There have been good articles lately, such as the breakthrough Video
Toaster review - I can't remember a product review this long that wasn't
either a new computer model or an operating system release - and "The
Object-Oriented Amiga Executive."  But the facts put the lie to Langa's
claims.  Byte's coverage is very shallow without reviews of products
that are stronger than their MS-DOS or Macintosh counterparts,
especially in graphics and multimedia.  I still wince every month when I
read raves about some product, PC or Mac, when anyone even passingly
familiar with Amiga knows that that our favorite machine has stronger
solutions.

BTW, rather than just gripe on Usenet, I sent a letter to Langa politely
spelling out the weakness in his 57 references, and politely suggesting
specific article topics which "match the quality and newsworthiness of
[Byte's] current reviews."

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) (03/02/91)

In article <20655@shlump.nac.dec.com>, plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes
Plouff) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> BTW, rather than just gripe on Usenet, I sent a letter to Langa politely
> spelling out the weakness in his 57 references, and politely suggesting
> specific article topics which "match the quality and newsworthiness of
> [Byte's] current reviews."
>
> --
> Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
> plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

	So how do you send Fred Langa a letter? (email address)

Andy Nagy (ptoper@asterix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca)
The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
 "Dee do do do, dee da da da, thats all I want to say to you" -- The Police

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (03/02/91)

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>> Let's take this from the top.  There are some 75 million DOS boxes out
>> there.  There are 4.5 million macintoshes.  Lord knows how many unix
>> systems are currently running.  How many Amigas have been sold?
>
>Over two million. About half as many as Macs... but many of those are now
>obsolete and incapable of running the latest software. Subtract out all the
>PCs in embedded applications, point of sale terminals, and so on. In terms
>of the number of smart-but-not-expert computer users BYTE claims to cater to
>it's probably only a 10:1 ratio in IBM's direction, with about equal numbers
>for the Mac and Amiga.

Actually, I think worldwide there are 6 million Macs.  But whatever:

I'm curious, what kind of numbers you're thinking of?  I mean, it seems
far more likely that we could figure say, 20 million serious clone
owners vs 200,000 serious Amiga owners ("serious" meaning people who
expand their machines and buy more software other than games)... that
is, more of a 100:1 ratio at best.  And how many A1000's are out there
that won't be running 2.0?  truly curious - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (03/02/91)

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>But consider this: Byte has never run a full review of any Amiga
>machine, complete with benchmarks.  All they've had is "First
>Impression" previews of preproduction models.

BYTE Oct '86 had a six page Review on the A1000, including benchmarks
against the IBM PC and Apple IIe.  As you noted, there were VERY GOOD
previews of the A1000, 2000 and 3000.  The A2000 preview was 12 pages,
with more info on the Bridgeboard workings than Amiga magazines I read.

Again tho, there are huge numbers of new PClone products every month...
including new clones themselves, laptops, and so on.  Finding enough
new Amiga products to cover in fair ratio would be tough.  Not to
mention finding authors.  Plus the lack of Amiga ads can't help things :-(.

>[...] Byte's coverage is very shallow without reviews of products
>that are stronger than their MS-DOS or Macintosh counterparts,
>especially in graphics and multimedia.
>
>BTW, rather than just gripe on Usenet, I sent a letter to Langa politely
>spelling out the weakness in his 57 references, and politely suggesting
>specific article topics which "match the quality and newsworthiness of
>[Byte's] current reviews."

Sounds like a great idea (not the weakness part, tho).  But you bring
up an interesting topic: what products would you review against each other?
  thx! - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.112510.1947@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>> Let's take this from the top.  There are some 75 million DOS boxes out
>> there.  There are 4.5 million macintoshes.  Lord knows how many unix
>> systems are currently running.  How many Amigas have been sold?
>
>Over two million. About half as many as Macs... but many of those are now
>obsolete and incapable of running the latest software.

<sigh>  It depends on what you mean by "software".
If you mean the OS, then the only Macs incapable of running the current
version are those with the original 64K ROMS.  According to an Apple market
research estimate (of a couple of years ago) there were less than 25,000 such
machines left in use, the vast majority having been upgraded.
If you mean application software, then the major gulf is between programs that
REQUIRE color and those that take advantage if it's there but still work
fine when it's not.  The architecture of Quickdraw is such that most programs
fall into the latter category.  Programs that REQUIRE color tend to be high-
end graphics and video which would be pointless without it.
My point is that, however many Macs are actually out there, it is safe to
assume that almost all of them can run current software.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
> Funny you should mention the Video Toaster.  There is a very nice review on
> pages 245 through 254 in the March 1991 issue of Byte.  The "action summary:"
>
> - Newtek Video Toaster
>
> - What you'll like
>     The Video Toaster is the most complete desktop video production product
>     available, an incredible value at $1595.
>
> - What you'll dislike
>     It's not the Toaster's fault, but it'll cost you to really put it to
>     full use.  Around $25,000 for a starter setup (including the Amiga) is
>     reasonable.

  I was a little shocked to see the price tag Byte has put to the Toaster. My
figuring for the  Toaster would be the following:

- Amiga 2500 (or equivalent)
- Add 2 meg to the accelerator
- Add 2 meg to the A2091
- Toaster
- 1084 monitor
- Time Based Corrector (TBC)
- video deck
- camera with video deck capibilities

 I know how much the computer equipment costs because I sell it. You would be
looking at $5300 (maybe less; I'm guessing high). A camera with TBC, and video
deck with TBC costs $20000? I don't think so. What does Byte think you need on
the video end of a Toaster setup?

> Steve Wootton
> stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
> stevew@pur-ee.uucp
> stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/02/91)

In article <2411@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
>In article <20655@shlump.nac.dec.com>, plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes
>Plouff) writes:
>[...]
>> BTW, rather than just gripe on Usenet, I sent a letter to Langa [...]
>
>	So how do you send Fred Langa a letter? (email address)

I'll explain this real slowly, ok?  First of all, there's this place
called "the real world".  If you turn your head away from the terminal
screen, you'll catch a small glimpse of it.

In this so-called "real world", there are many and various interesting
things.  One of these is called the US Postal Service.  They carry
physical mail (ie, hardcopy) between users.  And all this for less than
a cup of coffee.  (so far)

This may seem wierd and counter-intuitive, but there are people that can
only be reached through this "physical mail" service.

Look around.  You'll probably see a manual around there somewhere on
how to use this "physical mail" service.  Otherwise, I think this is
covered in alt.real-world.really-slow-ways-to-communicate in the
infrequently asked questions array.
--
		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu
'Dog Gang'!  Where do they get off calling us the 'Dog Gang'?  I'm beginning to

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar2.013632.24056@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
>In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>> - What you'll dislike
>>     It's not the Toaster's fault, but it'll cost you to really put it to
>>     full use.  Around $25,000 for a starter setup (including the Amiga) is
>>     reasonable.
>>
>  I was a little shocked to see the price tag Byte has put to the Toaster. My
>figuring for the  Toaster would be the following:
>
>- Amiga 2500 (or equivalent)
>- Add 2 meg to the accelerator
>- Add 2 meg to the A2091
>- Toaster
>- 1084 monitor
>- Time Based Corrector (TBC)
>- video deck
>- camera with video deck capibilities

The BYTE Multimedia Lab (according to a sidebar) contains:

Sony PVM-1342Q professional video monitors
     EVO-9800 Hi-8 VTRs (built-in time-base correction)
     EVO-9100 Hi-8 camcorder
     BVU-950 U-matic SP editing/animation VTR

Lyon-Lamb Mini-VAS stand-alone single-frame animation controller

Amiga 2500/30 with 7MB memory, 40MB internal HD
Micropolis 300MB HD

Useful quotes:
  Unfortunately, most Amiga users don't have what they need to make the
  best use of the Toaster.  This isn't a video toy; Newtek's goal was to
  create an affordable *professional* video production tool.  That brings
  with it certain equipment requirements and assumes you're interested in a
  high level of quality.  As a result, if your video setup amounts to a
  VHS VCR and a camcorder, you can't use them together with the Toaster.

  A significant part of the cost of implementing the Toaster relates to its
  requirement that all the incoming video signals be synchronized to one
  another.  This is called *frame synchronization*, and it certainly isn't
  cheap.  An external time-base corrector/frame synchronizer, such as the
  Sony MPU-F100, goes for around $4000, and that's just to synchronize one
  video signal (although it performs other duties, too).

root@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury) (03/03/91)

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:

> figuring for the  Toaster would be the following:
>
> - Amiga 2500 (or equivalent)
> - Add 2 meg to the accelerator
> - Add 2 meg to the A2091
> - Toaster
> - 1084 monitor
> - Time Based Corrector (TBC)
> - video deck
> - camera with video deck capibilities
>
>  I know how much the computer equipment costs because I sell it. You would be
> looking at $5300 (maybe less; I'm guessing high). A camera with TBC, and vide
> deck with TBC costs $20000? I don't think so. What does Byte think you need o
> the video end of a Toaster setup?

Well, right off the bat you need to have more than one input source
to do the fancy transitions unless you like doing them with still
buffer images.  Cameras do not require TBC's nor do Laserdisc players.

I would say you need at least 2 input sources and an output recorder.

If you use 2 tape machines for input, you need two TBCs or a single
dual-TBC.  TBC's (any worth a crap) cost >$2500 each.  Any reasonable
tape machines (any worth a crap again) cost >$2500 each.

This starts to add up.  You didn't even mention the second
monitor..you DO want to see what the program is don't you? <grin>

You see if you are talking a "real" setup, you are talking pretty
darn close to $20k.

Also, you were talking hardware..minimal hardware.  First of all, you
also need a single frame controller for any 3d animation...>$1300.

You also need more than a single hard disk.  I would suggest a
removable type of media...hey..those Toaster frames are around 750k a
piece...

You see, it all adds up.  You can wimp along for under $10k..but you
will not be able to take advantage of what the Toaster is all about.

-- Bob

InterNet: root@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
    UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!root      | 25 Raven Avenue
  BitNet: root%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
  Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.013632.24056@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
|In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
||[From 3/91 issue of BYTE:]
||     It's not the Toaster's fault, but it'll cost you to really put it to
||     full use.  Around $25,000 for a starter setup (including the Amiga) is
||     reasonable.
|  I was a little shocked to see the price tag Byte has put to the Toaster. My
|figuring for the  Toaster would be the following:

|- Amiga 2500 (or equivalent)
|- Add 2 meg to the accelerator
|- Add 2 meg to the A2091
|- Toaster
|- 1084 monitor
|- Time Based Corrector (TBC)
|- video deck
|- camera with video deck capibilities

| I know how much the computer equipment costs because I sell it. You would be
|looking at $5300 (maybe less; I'm guessing high). A camera with TBC, and video
|deck with TBC costs $20000? I don't think so. What does Byte think you need on
|the video end of a Toaster setup?

I was under the impression that a canonical toaster set up really needs
three high-quality monitors: one for preview, one for the toaster software,
and one for the output.  Depending on what monitors you get, you could run
the price up over 10G... but I would have to agree that 20G's is awfully
high...

|| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
--
		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu
'Dog Gang'!  Where do they get off calling us the 'Dog Gang'?  I'm beginning to
think the party's over.  I'm beginning to think maybe we don't need a dog.  Or
maybe we need a *new* dog.  Or maybe we need a *cat*! - Amazing Stories

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) (03/03/91)

Your flames to BYTE are undeserved, in my opinion. You would love to have
BYTE condemn the IBM, MAC, SUN, etc. to doom because the AMIGA is here. I
love the AMIGA as much as or more than you do. But, there is a place for
other machines as well. BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has
been expanding thier coverage of machines. I don't hear you complaining
about not seeing ATARI in there. How come?

The articles about the AMIGA that have been printed have been positive. You
should be glad that they don't condemn it becuase AMIGA only displays 16
colors in HIRES, jittering all over the screen.

What about advertisers? Commodore would be wise to advertise thier 3000UX
in there, and maybe the 3000 in a multimedia ad. That's about it. Personally,
I think they would get more mileage out of INFOWORLD or RESELLER NEWS.
Secondly, the people advertising in BYTE now, are mostly IBM product
manufactures and clone manufacturers. Why would they advertise in a
magazine that spent 25% or more of its pages dedicated to a machine that
couldn't use it's products? Why would an IBM user read BYTE when he could
have a 100% IBM machine magazine in PC MAGAZINE?

Reconsider your point of view. The AMIGA is great, but it is not
everything. Each computer has its strengths and weaknesses, and there are
magazines devoted to each one. If there is misinformation about the AMIGA,
or an omission where there should be a comment, then let the editors know.
But if you want AMIGA coverage, look to an AMIGA magazine first.

Juan Trevino
Modern Media

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/04/91)

In article <5667@tahoe.unr.edu> tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:
>BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has been expanding thier
>coverage of machines.

Eh?  BYTE is five years older than the IBM PC.  You have the evolution
reversed: it is only in recent years (5 or so) that BYTE has come to look
so much like PC Magazine.  The March 1991 issue looks frighteningly like
PC-Computing, a high-gloss rag for management-types.

Ah, well.  See you all in the Circuit Cellar.  Ink, that is.

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

pswanson@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Paul Swanson) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar2.004532.13380@midway.uchicago.edu> jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:

[...]
>My point is that, however many Macs are actually out there, it is safe to
>assume that almost all of them can run current software.

Actually it is probably more accurate to say that only a few Macs can
run the current software and that the vast majority of them can only
walk it.  i.e. much current software requires a very fast Mac to get any
sort of reasonable response time.

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (03/04/91)

In article <990@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>>> BTW, rather than just gripe on Usenet, I sent a letter to Langa [...]
>>	So how do you send Fred Langa a letter? (email address)
>I'll explain this real slowly, ok?  First of all, there's this place
>called "the real world".  If you turn your head away from the terminal
>screen, you'll catch a small glimpse of it.

I would think that the guy has an account on BIX.  Isn't that reasonable,
considering his magazine runs it?

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich   (alex@bilver.UUCP)
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (03/04/91)

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:

>[ ... ] BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has
>been expanding thier coverage of machines.

Ummm ... `Byte' started long before the IBM-PC became synonymous with
"Personal Computing".  That's why some of us old-timers become
misty-eyed when we remember the breadth of articles that used to
appear in them good ol' days.

------------
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/05/91)

In article <9833@uwm.edu> gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>From article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, by stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton):
>> - System requirements
>>     Amiga 2000 or 2500 with 7 MB of memory, an Amiga 1080-series or
>>     compatible monitor, and an empty video slot
>Does it really require 7 meg of memory?  That's something I didn't know.  I
>mean, I knew it took a lot of memory, but I didn't know it took THAT much.
>Is that BEFORE modules (tracing, painting) are loaded, or is that DVI with
>both loaded???

5MB is enough to run the switcher, DVE, and the bare bones of Lightwave.
To really use the Toaster however requires about 7MB. Without this much
memory you will sacrifice motion removal for the frame capture, much
of the functionality of Toaster Paint, and all but the most rudimentary
images from Lightwave.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (03/05/91)

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu writes:
[On Macs and software compatibility]
>If you mean application software, then the major gulf is between programs that
>REQUIRE color and those that take advantage if it's there but still work
>fine when it's not.

Hardly.  The major gulf is between programs which require major amounts of
memory (not available on standard old Macs without major surgery) and those
which do not.  And since the latest versions of *most* of the powerhouse
Mac applications require major memory (even without running Multifinder), the
poor folks with their original Macs are out-o'-luck.  Color is not an issue,
at least not with the apps that people actually use a lot (Word, PageMaker,
Freehand, etc.).

| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>- What you'll dislike
>    It's not the Toaster's fault, but it'll cost you to really put it to
>    full use.  Around $25,000 for a starter setup (including the Amiga) is
>    reasonable.

$25,000 for a starter system?!  The equipment in our quite useable setup is
only about $5000.  For $25,000 you should be able to setup a 3 camera studio
with 3/4" decks!

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) (03/05/91)

Schaumann) writes:
> >> BTW, rather than just gripe on Usenet, I sent a letter to Langa [...]

> >	So how do you send Fred Langa a letter? (email address)

> I'll explain this real slowly, ok?  First of all, there's this place
[stuff deleted]
> 		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu

	If you read carefully my original message I was inquiring about an
email address, not sarcasm.

Andy Nagy (ptoper@asterix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca)
The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
 "Dee do do do, dee da da da, thats all I want to say to you" -- The Police

In article <91059.184958CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu> CXW148@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>      A review of a multimedia product (software, I believe), for the IBM
>actually stated that the product was slow, and the interface exceedingly poor.
>The reviewer's conclusion was, "If this is the best IBM animation product
>produced, my money's on Apple."

>       Apple?  An article about an IBM animation program, and he compares it to
> _Apple's_ animation!!?

In BYTE's defense, I think they've managed to improve recently.  They have had
more Amiga information.  I, for one, don't buy BYTE specifically to hear about
Amigas, or PCs, or anything that's real system specific.  I buy it to hear
about goings on the computer industry as a whole.  Things like the Video
Toaster, or perhaps the article on Exec from a month or two ago are reasonably
significant to the industry.  I don't think a review of "BlazeMonger IV" for
the Amiga, or the 5,768,347th way to write a TSR for MS-DOS would be a
reasonable thing to read about in BYTE.

Of course, like most magazines, BYTE doesn't [a] write all their own articles,
or [b] have editorial staff with knowledge of every system.  They can't do
all that much about the former as long as they solicit articles from the
outside (necessary for anyone trying to do something beyond reviews and
editorials).  The latter is a problem -- you would expect any member of the
editorial staff assigned a particular review, etc. to be knowledgeable in the
field.  If that field is dominated by Amigas or Suns, the article should
certainly at least mention these other system, rather than misleading the
reader.

They also don't automatically know about every product introduced.  They are,
after all, tracking quite a few.  If a company releases a new goody, and
doesn't tell BYTE about it by sending them a press release, BYTE probably
won't show it in their "What's New" section (or whatever that's called now).
On the other hand, if they publish announcements of software package type A
for IBM, they should publish that same type for any machine they get a press
release about.  It shouldn't surprise anyone that there are more things
released for PClones than for Amigas, Macs, Suns, NeXTs, Ataris, whatevers;
there are simply more of those toys out there.

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

In article <5667@tahoe.unr.edu> tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:
>BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has been expanding thier
>coverage of machines.

Perhaps you're new to this industry?  BYTE started out long before there was
an IBM PC.  It may appear to the newcomer that they started out as an IBM
magazine and have been expanding, but that's simply what people have been
complaining about over the years -- BYTE never was PC only, but at a certain
point in BYTE's life it was awfully hard to tell this.

Personally, I think they're getting better.  Back in the 70s or early 80s,
BYTE was the place you went to read about computer science when you were
not quite a computer scientist.  Kind of like the way you can read about
mathematics, physics, etc. in Scientific American, at a reasonably detailed
level, without having to be a professional.  Though the articles were, in
many cases, of interest to professionals as well.  Most of the good stuff
didn't center specifically on any platform or OS, unless the thrust of the
article was about that (eg, the Amiga Exec article, the one on the PICK
OS from long ago, etc).  While they still have some ways to go to get back
to that "golden age of BYTE", I have noticed a change for the better over the
past 6-12 months.

In article <61774@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>In article <9833@uwm.edu> gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>>From article <1991Mar1.024207.29305@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, by stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton):
>>> - System requirements
>>>     Amiga 2000 or 2500 with 7 MB of memory, an Amiga 1080-series or
>>Does it really require 7 meg of memory?  ...

>5MB is enough to run the switcher, DVE, and the bare bones of Lightwave.
>To really use the Toaster however requires about 7MB.

That's not really unique to the Toaster, at least as far as the rendering goes.
Most Amiga-based rendering programs eat memory.  The Starship Enterprise
images that Bill Koester did for his animation could only be rendered on a
loaded system (the only one we had, back then, with 16MB of 32 bit memory,
plus an additional 4MB 16 bit Fast memory).  That was under Sculpt-3D.  A ray
tracing program itself would typically use less memory than a renderer using
faster and more clever rendering mechanisms, like what you get with the
Toaster.

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (03/05/91)

In article <2417@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes...
>	If you read carefully my original message I was inquiring about an
>email address, not sarcasm.

Actually, *I* was the guy who wrote the letter, and I did send it to
Byte's office in Peterborough, N.H., at the address on the masthead.  As
far as I know, Fred Langa is available electronically only on BIX.
--

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (03/05/91)

In article <2766@trlluna.trl.oz>, kam hung soh writes:

> Ummm ... `Byte' started long before the IBM-PC became synonymous with
> "Personal Computing".  That's why some of us old-timers become
> misty-eyed when we remember the breadth of articles that used to
> appear in them good ol' days.

But now that we have access to USEnet, among others, we have an infinitely
more useful resource to plunder for our own use.

Getting source code ON PAPER is a pain in the neck. Getting absolutes on paper
is plainly stupid.

I can (and do) get comp.binaries.amiga, with a wealth of information in it,
all for the cost of a phone call.

Networks are far far better than magazines, even ones as good as Byte once
was.

> Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403

Dac
--
David Andrew Clayton. // _l _  _ dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au    *or*|I post.I am.
Canberra, Australia.\X/ (_](_l(_ ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac@munnari.oz

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (03/06/91)

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker, or is it Juan Trevino?) writes:
>Your flames to BYTE are undeserved, in my opinion. You would love to have
>BYTE condemn the IBM, MAC, SUN, etc. to doom because the AMIGA is here.

This thread has actually not been full of flames, in contrast to other Byte
topics in recent months.  We are discussing, I think, Byte's claim of good
Amiga coverage that editor Fred Langa made in the February letters column.

>BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has
>been expanding thier coverage of machines.

Quite the opposite.  Anybody who can tell you the story behind the name
"Virginia Londoner Green Helmers" can fill you in.

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>>But consider this: Byte has never run a full review of any Amiga
>>machine, complete with benchmarks.
>BYTE Oct '86 had a six page Review on the A1000, including benchmarks
>against the IBM PC and Apple IIe.

I stand corrected, and you make a telling point.

>...But you bring
>up an interesting topic: what products would you review against each other?

My short list was: A3000, A3000UX, AmigaVision, Video Toaster, Imagine, survey
of accelerator cards, AMAX II, survey of 24-bit video cards.  Some of these may
seem too obvious to review, but the microcomputer world at large does not know
about these products.  I chose them as comparable to the kind of thing that
Byte already reviews, but better.  The list may reveal my hardware bias. :-)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In BYTE's defense, I think they've managed to improve recently.  They have had
>more Amiga information.  I, for one, don't buy BYTE specifically to hear about
>Amigas, or PCs, or anything that's real system specific.  I buy it to hear
>about goings on the computer industry as a whole.  Things like the Video
>Toaster, or perhaps the article on Exec from a month or two ago are reasonably
>significant to the industry.  I don't think a review of "BlazeMonger IV" for
>the Amiga, or the 5,768,347th way to write a TSR for MS-DOS would be a
>reasonable thing to read about in BYTE.

Mostly agreed.  Two years ago I was passing through Peterborough and stopped at
Byte's offices to talk with an editor about benchmarks.  Having no appointment,
I had plenty of time to read Byte's marketing literature on the reception room
table.  It was full of stuff about decision makers, power users, and the IBM
PC.  (A few mentions of Macintosh were thrown in.)  But there was nothing about
it being a general industry magazine.

What got me writing the letter to Fred Langa, and answering in this thread on
Usenet, was simply this:  If Byte never claimed to have any special Amiga
coverage, I would still read it for its articles on technology and trends in
computing.  I am pleased to see Amiga coverage when it appears, in articles
such as "The Four Multimedia Gospels."  But Fred Langa said that he was proud
of Byte's Amiga coverage, that it was the best of the non-machine-specific
magazines.  My points are: large number of mentions does not equal depth of
coverage, and lack of Amiga-oriented reviews is not "good" coverage when there
are products plainly superior to the MS-DOS or Macintosh products that do get
reviewed.

It's worth rereading Stan Seiler's letter and Langa's response.  Seiler
complained that Byte has "blindness to the Amiga."  Langa responded, "Byte is
not an Amiga-hostile magazine!"  Problem is, they're both right.

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

Networking bibliography:  _Islands in the Net_, by Bruce Sterling
			  _The Matrix_, by John S. Quarterman

In article <5667@tahoe.unr.edu> tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:
> Your flames to BYTE are undeserved, in my opinion ... BYTE started out
> as an IBM only magazine ...

What have you been smoking?

"BYTE... the small systems journal" predates the IBM-PC by at least 2 years.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (03/06/91)

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:
>Your flames to BYTE are undeserved, in my opinion. You would love to have
>BYTE condemn the IBM, MAC, SUN, etc. to doom because the AMIGA is here. I
>love the AMIGA as much as or more than you do. But, there is a place for
>other machines as well. BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has
>been expanding thier coverage of machines. I don't hear you complaining
>about not seeing ATARI in there. How come?

Not quite correct, BYTE started out *LONG* before the IBM PC ever hit the
market, they were covering apple II's when they were new.  they were covering
CP/M machines.  BYTE's been around a while.

>Juan Trevino
>Modern Media

UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil
INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (03/06/91)

In article <2766@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:
>
>>[ ... ] BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has
>>been expanding thier coverage of machines.
>
>Ummm ... `Byte' started long before the IBM-PC became synonymous with
>"Personal Computing".  That's why some of us old-timers become
>misty-eyed when we remember the breadth of articles that used to
>appear in them good ol' days.

In it's day, Byte was a great magazine.  So many different systems to drool
over.  And lots of source code!

These days, I guess Byte just wants to make a buck.

Remember Byte taking on Microsoft, because their CPM compilers sucked?  I still
have some of those old issues.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

kopnicky@spotted.rice.edu (Lyle Warren Kopnicky) (03/08/91)

You're right.  I'm tired of Commodore's lame advertising scheme of pushing only the educational/gaming aspects of the A500.  They make it sound like the A2000 and other machines don't even exist, or if they do they're glorified Commodore 64's.  The TV ads were on for such a short time they seem like ghosts in my memory.  What they need to do is to develop a new advertising angle, showing off the incredible flexibility and power of the A2000+ series to business users.  Both IBM and Mac have a lot of compari

son ads.  If these work for them, why is Commodore afraid to use them?  Or are they afraid of the lack of top-notch Amiga business software?  Who cares?  All they need to show are the incredible multitasking, the advanced multimedia programs and video hardware.  Once the computer starts to catch on in the business world (and note that it DOES have WordPerfect, albeit an old version), big companies will want to develop for it.  Still, they persist in advertising little kids playing games on the A500.  I'll

admit it's better than nothing, but they can really get their act together.
	Also I wonder why it took Commodore five years plus to come up with an Enhanced Chip Set.  When the Amiga came out it was so far ahead in graphics and sound it was incredible.  Then Commodore sat around and twiddled their thumbs, content with the technology the Amiga company had developed for them.  All they did was develop new OS's and have a lousy PR division.  They focused more attention on the 64/128 series than on the Amiga.  Now that they've finally figured out which direction they ought to be going

 in, they're working their butts off developing new technologies and they don't have many resources left for much else.  If they had been working this hard a few years ago, we'd already have 24-bit color and 16-bit audio.  They're just keeping their heads above water.  They have a knack for hitting on the innovative and I hope it happens again.  The 64 and Amiga were nothing like other computers when they were introduced.  Now they're focusing on developing new hardware that will live up to what other comp

uters have, rather than forging ahead.  This is because they're so far behind.  The 64 and Amiga stuff never influenced other computers much, as far as I know.  Maybe Amiga multimedia secretly fuelled this present craze.  The graphics never became a standard.  That's because quirky stuff like sprites and raster interrupts and blitters and HAM or Halfbrite mode isn't fit for standardization.  But it's those things that gave Commodore the edge.  I hope that as soon as they're through playing catch-up they ca

n develop something new and exciting.  Good luck Commodore.

- Quantum Seep

hamilton@intersil.uucp (03/12/91)

In article <4279@orbit.cts.com>, chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
> tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:
>>Your flames to BYTE are undeserved, in my opinion. You would love to have
>>BYTE condemn the IBM, MAC, SUN, etc. to doom because the AMIGA is here. I
>>love the AMIGA as much as or more than you do. But, there is a place for
>>other machines as well. BYTE started out as an IBM only magazine and has
>>been expanding thier coverage of machines. I don't hear you complaining
>>about not seeing ATARI in there. How come?
>
> Not quite correct, BYTE started out *LONG* before the IBM PC ever hit the
> market, they were covering apple II's when they were new.  they were covering
> CP/M machines.  BYTE's been around a while.

I have to agree.  BYTE didn't start out as an IBM-only magazine, it *became*
one.  I can't tell it from any of the other PC-oriented magazines on the
news stands any more:

In this issue of BYTE:

27 VGA graphics cards reviewed!
Multitasking OS's:  We help you choose!
How To Get Your Machine To Realize It Has More Than 640K of RAM!
How To Use The Memory You Just Found As a 2 Megabyte HD Cache!
Newtek's Video Toaster!
(oops)
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/12/91)

In article <244.27dbb345@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp writes:
|[...]
|In this issue of BYTE:
|
|27 VGA graphics cards reviewed!
|Multitasking OS's:  We help you choose!
|[...]

Any mention of the Amiga in this article?

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!