[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] dBMan 5

wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) (03/13/91)

In article <27839@netcom.COM> rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>Once again, allow me to mention dBMan 5, a dBaseIII clone with enough extra
>features to compete with dBaseIV, Clipper, etc.

I've been using FoxPro (v1.0) at work on a Compaq.  Do you know enough
about FoxPro to make a comparison to dBMan 5?  I have Superbase Personal
on the Amiga and have been debating upgrading it to professional (3.0),
but I want to do a bit more investigation of the competition before I
do that.  I don't need dBaseIII compatibility, nor a dBase "look and
feel", but I like the features and power that FoxPro has (along with
the FoxDoc and FoxView utilities).  I particularly like FoxPro's
"memo" field type -- a text field of any length, which doesn't use
any more space than what is actually in the field.  Thus one record can
have a memo of 500 bytes, while another record has a memo of only 20 bytes
and a third has no memo at all.

Also, just as a thought, does/will dBMan support ARexx?

Please note the "followup to" on this article.
--
Wally Hartshorn (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)
President, Amiga Computer Enthusiasts of Springfield (ACES)