[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] More fuel for yer fire!

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/14/91)

Here's a press release of Apple's so-called 'slashing price cuts' to
their Mac II line.

--included text follows--
TITLE:  Apple Cuts Macintosh Prices

Apple Computer has lowered the US prices of its mid-range and
high-end Macintosh personal computers by up to 31%. Apple lowered
prices on all models of the Mac IIfx, IIci, and SE/30, effective
immediately. Such price cuts sometime signal that new models are
coming closer to the end of the pipeline. Apple observers expect
the company to announce new systems by the summer, including 040-
based models.

                          Previous     New
                           SRP         SRP       $ Change

Mac IIfx (4MB/floppy)      $8969      $7369      - $1600
Mac IIfx (4MB/80-MB HD)    $9869      $8069      - $1800
Mac IIfx (4MB/160-MB HD)   $10,969    $8669      - $2300

Mac IIci (5MB/floppy)      $5969      $5269       - $700
Mac IIci (5MB/80-MB HD)    $6669      $5969       - $700

Mac SE/30 (1MB/40-MB HD)   $4369      $3369      - $1000
Mac SE/30 (4MB/80-MB HD)   $5569      $3869      - $1700

Apple made several other announcements yesterday, including that
it has changed the base memory of the Mac IIci from 4 to 5
megabytes of RAM and the Mac IIsi from 2 to 3 MB of RAM. The
company also announced the pricing and immediate availability of
A/UX 2.0.1, its latest version of the UNIX operating  system,
which now supports the Mac IIsi. A/UX 2.0.1 on CD-ROM is $795; on
floppy disks, $995. An update disc for 1.x users is $275.
---end of included text---

Anyone who feels these prices should have been lowered ALOT more
please raise yer hand? WHoah...It's a wave.

Come on Apple, $3869 bucks for a SE? $7369 for a floppy based IIfx?
Sheesh.

Consider this evidence.. Apple, you've been caught in the act of
overpricing, and now your trying to cover it up, but your cover
was enough. Your prices are still too high.

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.065114.9736@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>Come on Apple, $3869 bucks for a SE? $7369 for a floppy based IIfx?
>Sheesh.

Psst, an SE/30 is far closer to a II without Nubus than it is to an SE.  It has
an 030, math coprocessor, better sound, and color support.  And no sane
individual buys Apple products for list.

gt5311b@prism.gatech.EDU (BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT) (03/15/91)

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:

>Psst, an SE/30 is far closer to a II without Nubus than it is to an SE.
>It has an 030, math coprocessor, better sound, and color support.  And no sane
>individual buys Apple products for list.

Here at GT, my SE/30 cost me $2350 eight months ago. I think it's down to
$2200 now.  I'm just getting ready to add a color monitor w/ 8-bit card and
that would bring the total price to about $3000.  A pretty good deal I think.

I was seriously thinking about getting an Amiga but I wasn't able to find
programs like PSpice for it... and I can't stand MSDOS, so I thought this
was a good choice--lots of software and none of the hassle of MSDOS.

Abhijit
--
BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt5311b

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/15/91)

In article <24363@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt5311b@prism.gatech.EDU (BHATTACHARYA,ABHIJIT) writes:
>I was seriously thinking about getting an Amiga but I wasn't able to find
>programs like PSpice for it... and I can't stand MSDOS, so I thought this
>was a good choice--lots of software and none of the hassle of MSDOS.

How much did you pay for PSpice?  I have a nice PD Spice (with graphic
front-end) on the Amiga that was free.

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at