[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] POST

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (03/14/91)

>>>>> On 12 Mar 91 19:30:15 GMT, cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) said:

Chris> The list of canned software packages is growing daily, and the quality
Chris> has dramatically improved over the last couple of years.  For word
Chris> processing, my wife is quite pleased with ProWrite, and when I need
Chris> higher quality output, I filter the document through ProScript, then
Chris> print it to a PostScript printer (or to my DeskJet, using Post, a
Chris> distributable PostScript interpreter for the Amiga).

You mean POST interprets PostScript into a form where it can be printed on any
Amiga compatible printer?  I thought it was more of a printer driver for
Postscript printers.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (03/15/91)

cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
< You mean POST interprets PostScript into a form where it can be printed on any
< Amiga compatible printer?  I thought it was more of a printer driver for
< Postscript printers.

Post (the current version is 1.5) is indeed a PostScript-to-Preferences
interpreter.  It can also be used to preview PostScript documents on your
monitor.

It also comes with a special program to interpret PostScript directly
into HP Laserjet compatible commands, bypassing Preferences altogether
(I assume it is using PCL, although I haven't looked at the output to
be sure).  The program (called postlj) can also be used (in most cases)
to send a file to a DeskJet.  Or, at least, I have had no trouble using
it with mine.

For those with ftp access, Post 1.5 can be found on ab20.larc.nasa.gov.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          | |              |     Where does he get

s37732v@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Juhani Aalto) (03/15/91)

   Chris> The list of canned software packages is growing daily, and the quality
   Chris> has dramatically improved over the last couple of years.  For word
   Chris> processing, my wife is quite pleased with ProWrite, and when I need
   Chris> higher quality output, I filter the document through ProScript, then
   Chris> print it to a PostScript printer (or to my DeskJet, using Post, a
   Chris> distributable PostScript interpreter for the Amiga).

   You mean POST interprets PostScript into a form where it can be printed on any
   Amiga compatible printer?  I thought it was more of a printer driver for
   Postscript printers.

Nope! It's more than that. It interprets postscript code to Iff-file,
into your screen, your dot-matrix printer or any other printer. I just
uploaded Post1.5 today and It's fine piece of software. Also if you
want to learn programming Postscript, you should consider
getting Post.

*  Markus.Aalto@hut.fi    |       Only Amiga makes it possible!!!!    *
*  s37732v@vipunen.hut.fi |                                           *
*  s37732v@puukko.hut.fi  |       Yeah! It's a sure thing!            *
*  maalto4@otax.hut.fi    |       :^)                                 *

al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Gustavo Cordova Avila) (03/15/91)

cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>You mean POST interprets PostScript into a form where it can be printed on any
>Amiga compatible printer?

BINGO!!!

> I thought it was more of a printer driver for
>Postscript printers.

Well, I think you thought wrong. :)
What it actually does is interpret postscript, it can then be displayed
onscreen, or sent to a file (bitmap), or sent to the printer. It also
has a version for 68020/030 with 881/882 processors, for faster
interpretation.

>--
>David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
>(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
>uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
>"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

Gustavo
--
| From Mexico!  Majoring in Electronics Systems Engineering, |
| ITESM presents to you: Gustavo Cordova Avila!!!            |
| And then I woke up :) +------------------------------------+
+-----------------------+

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/15/91)

	Actually, Ryan, the A500 probably sees some of the most CPU intensive
	workloads on average... the reason for this is because of it's
	heavy use as a games platform.  The "Power Systems" have all the
	extra speed _when needed_. But the A500 spends many hours back-to-back
	doing full-screen animation/music/sprites/ etc...  Whereas
	my 25Mhz '030 sits around most all of the time letting me
	slowly design 3-D objects for Lightwave... and then I use
	the '030's horsepower for no more than 15-20 minutes to render
	a 3-D image....   The big machines have the power when it is needed
	but for the most part, most applications underutilize the machine for
	a majority of the time (there are exceptions of course).

	The A500 is a hard workin' piece of hardware.

	-Mike-

yorkw@shire.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (03/16/91)

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:

>cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>< You mean POST interprets PostScript into a form where it can be printed on any
>< Amiga compatible printer?  I thought it was more of a printer driver for
>< Postscript printers.

>Post (the current version is 1.5) is indeed a PostScript-to-Preferences
>interpreter.  It can also be used to preview PostScript documents on your
>monitor.

>It also comes with a special program to interpret PostScript directly
>into HP Laserjet compatible commands, bypassing Preferences altogether
>(I assume it is using PCL, although I haven't looked at the output to
>be sure).  The program (called postlj) can also be used (in most cases)
>to send a file to a DeskJet.  Or, at least, I have had no trouble using
>it with mine.

>For those with ftp access, Post 1.5 can be found on ab20.larc.nasa.gov.

s that program any good? ie. I got a PD tex, and i get DVi files,
and can convert DVI to PS, so how good of a output does it do?

How much MEMORY does it take? I got 2.5 meg.
i hear it's a BIG memory Hog.

What kind of Printers does it support? my Cheap tar np-10?
oops Star np-10

and, could it just make a Highresolution IFF file instead?
so i could use GPRINT? (A nifty IFF prionting Program)

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu
Willis F York