[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] More Commodore rumors

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (03/09/91)

The March '91 issue of .info's rumor mill column says that CBM may
be talking with Sony Corp. about Sony buying CBM since video is such
a hot market for the Amiga. Also mentioned were that cutbacks in
personel at Commodore U.S. dovetail with rumors of several months ago
that CBM U.S. operations would be cut to the bone or even shut down if
U.S. sales don't improve soon.
--
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu             ///
I'd rather be SKIING!!            |       ///  /\

In article <1991Mar8.204143.4124@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>The March '91 issue of .info's rumor mill column says that CBM may
>be talking with Sony Corp. about Sony buying CBM since video is such
>a hot market for the Amiga. Also mentioned were that cutbacks in
>personel at Commodore U.S. dovetail with rumors of several months ago
>that CBM U.S. operations would be cut to the bone or even shut down if
>U.S. sales don't improve soon.

	Those are two of the least believable rumors I've ever
heard and give me real doubts about anything .info would say.
There are so many GOOD rumors, why would they print such crud?
Why would Sony want to buy Commodore? They want to get into the
computer business? They sell video equipment! The two companies
complement each other well enough without becoming one.
	As to the cutbacks: you remember the announcement about
on-site service for all Amigas via Honeywell-Bull? Well, there
went the service and repair division. Now do the cutbacks make
more sense?

>--
>Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu             ///
>I'd rather be SKIING!!            |       ///  /\
>Member of A.C.E.                  | \\\  ///  /--\MIGA
>(American Coaster Enthusiasts)    |  \\\/// The future is here now!

	-- Ethan

	Upon leaving office, Ronald Reagan began renting an
office in the penthouse of the Fox Plaza, the Los Angeles
high-rise used as the location for the terrorist movie "Die
Hard".

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (03/09/91)

From article <1991Mar8.232628.19106@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita):
> In article <1991Mar8.204143.4124@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>>
>>Also mentioned were that cutbacks in
>>personel at Commodore U.S. dovetail with rumors of several months ago
>>that CBM U.S. operations would be cut to the bone or even shut down if
>>U.S. sales don't improve soon.

In the Feb. 25 issue of EE Times is a half-page add from CBM looking for
Unix Software Engineers (yes plural), a Senior Font Programmer, and
Hardware Engineers.  Doesn't say how many of each, just says several and
gives uunet contact addresses for each of the categories.  Gives standard
qualification stuff and a little about what the positions are for.

> Why would Sony want to buy Commodore? They want to get into the
> computer business? They sell video equipment! The two companies
> complement each other well enough without becoming one.

Actually, Sony does want to get into the computer business (can you say
Unix) in a big way.  The have been trying to get customers to buy their
News workstation (680xx, Unix, X) for at least 4 years now.  Kinda hard
to look the other way in an electronics market that has been growing by
leaps and bounds for the last decade.

john gay.

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar8.204143.4124@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>The March '91 issue of .info's rumor mill column says that CBM may
>be talking with Sony Corp. about Sony buying CBM since video is such
>a hot market for the Amiga. Also mentioned were that cutbacks in
>personel at Commodore U.S. dovetail with rumors of several months ago
>that CBM U.S. operations would be cut to the bone or even shut down if
>U.S. sales don't improve soon.
>--
>Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu             ///
>I'd rather be SKIING!!            |       ///  /\
>Member of A.C.E.                  | \\\  ///  /--\MIGA
>(American Coaster Enthusiasts)    |  \\\/// The future is here now!

I believe I read either in a business-oriented magazine, or the business
section of a newspaper that the reason Commodore gave for the layoffs
was that they just started bringing a Singapore production plant online,
and the layoffs in the U.S. were mostly production-related.

Sounds like some of us are a bit too eager to sound the alarm.

				Philip King
				pk@wet.uucp
				{ucsfcca,hoptoad,well}!wet!pk

In article <1991Mar8.232628.19106@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.204143.4124@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>>
>>The March '91 issue of .info's rumor mill column says that CBM may
>>be talking with Sony Corp. about Sony buying CBM since video is such
>>a hot market for the Amiga.
>
>Why would Sony want to buy Commodore? They want to get into the
>computer business? They sell video equipment! The two companies
>complement each other well enough without becoming one.

All these rumors about Sony may stem from some real negotiations that
have taken place, but had a quite different subject:
Yes, Sony is now also in the computer business. They build one wonderfull
AT notebook computer. And Commodore Germany has the exclusive right to
distribute this piece under its own name as "C 286-LT". "Exclusive"
means here that this will not be sold to any other OEM computer
manufacturer in Germany. - Perhaps the same is valid for whole Europe,
but I can't swear. - So there are real contacts between Commodore and
Sony, and they are really promising for good business in future. Like,
on the CeBIT faire we now show the next model of that notebook with the
386SX!

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (03/17/91)

>Yes, Sony is now also in the computer business. They build one wonderfull
>AT notebook computer. And Commodore Germany has the exclusive right to
>distribute this piece under its own name as "C 286-LT".

Sony, hmm ? I always thought that Commodore bought the 286LT from Sanyo.
And I guess that the 386SX-LT was also made by Sanyo.
Or did Sanyo buy the thing from Sony, too ?

Could anybody confirm the information from Dr. Kittel that the 286LT
was built by Sony ? Never saw anything else than MSX-Computers and Video
Titlers from them.

Thanks,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz            | holgerl@amiux.uucp
Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24 | holgerl@amiux.han.de

In article <holgerl.0431@amiux.UUCP> holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) writes:
>>Yes, Sony is now also in the computer business. They build one wonderfull
>>AT notebook computer. And Commodore Germany has the exclusive right to
>>distribute this piece under its own name as "C 286-LT".
>
>Sony, hmm ? I always thought that Commodore bought the 286LT from Sanyo.
>And I guess that the 386SX-LT was also made by Sanyo.

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY to have caused such a mixup. Yes, the LT is made
by Sanyo and not Sony. I always mix up those two, can't help.

BTW, now on the CeBIT faire in Hannover Commodore shows the next model
with a 386SX.