[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Zen Ami businessware

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com (03/15/91)

Earlier, I wrote:

>>The structured drawing program GemDraw is much faster on a mere PC/AT.
>>It gets its speed from having less options (e.g., text only comes in
>>certain sizes, you can only rotate it at 90 degree angles, you can't
>>strech, bend, curve, warp, spindle, or mutilate it.)  Depending on your
>>needs, this is either good or bad.

To which, Dave Hanie replied:

>For any real professional work, I don't think you can possibly live with
>something like that.  In my work with technical illustrations, I need fonts
>that are scaleable within at least a point of being perfect.  That will
>_require_ vector fonts, even though a program could kludge it and go faster
>with bitmapped fonts, if it chooses to limit the sizes.

Oh, excuse me.  'Real professionals' use vector fonts.  And all this time
I thought I was a professional.  Must have been all those paychecks that
fooled me. :-)

All sarcasm aside, I got along fine without vector fonts for years.  It's
nice to have them, but I'd swap them for a drawing program that allows me
to add text quickly (i.e., just put the cursor on the screen and type),
and allows me to re-edit text after its on the page.  ('Course there's no
reason why one couldn't have both.)

Vector fonts are great if you can afford the time
penalty, but I bet there are plenty-o-folks with vanilla 68000 Amigas
who would be thrilled to have a fast, bitmapped font structured drawing
program.

----------------

Earlier, you wrote that you used ProfessionalDraw for the Zorro III bus
documentation.  Out of curiousity: how could you do such extensive
illustration on a program that provides no way of drawing perfectly
vertical or horizontal lines, and does not support 'Grid Snap'?  I
find these to be indespensible.

----------------

The following comments were addressed at ProfessionalDraw 2.0:

>>>However, complaining about a tool being too powerful is rarely a valid
>>>point when you claim to come from a business prespective.  A business will
>>>rarely make such complaints, and if the tool runs too slow, they'll buy a
>>>faster system.
>
>>b) I disagree with your statement.  A business will buy a superfast PC  if
>>they NEED the power of Ventura Publisher or AutoCAD.  Businesses won't buy
>>VP if they just need to do simple memos,
>
>Of course not, they'll use WordPerfect or something.  You can too, but you're
>not writing simple memos, you're interesting in doing things that are pretty
>much only handled by high end system.

Dave, you're trying to change the subject on me.  We were talking about
ProDraw being too powerful, not Ami word processors.  My point is that I
didn't need all its power (for text manipulation) but I didn't have the
option to buy a low-end structured drawing program, because
there weren't any (that I was aware of.  Since then, everyone keeps
telling me about ProVector.)

And even if I had been talking about word processors:

>              ...you're interesting in doing things that are pretty
>much only handled by high end system.

I am not talking about any capability that cannot be done with a word
processor on a PC/AT, which is NOT my definition of a high-end system.
(I've actually done this work on an PC/XT, but its s_l_o_w.)

On the more positive side: everyone has given such strong recommendations
on AmigaTeX that I'm going to give it a try.  It will have to wait til next
month though, as I've already spent this months software budget.

Lee      Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (03/16/91)

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
< Vector fonts are great if you can afford the time
< penalty, but I bet there are plenty-o-folks with vanilla 68000 Amigas
< who would be thrilled to have a fast, bitmapped font structured drawing
< program.

But, again, the final output quality of any bitmapped font is limited,
whereas a vector font is not.

< Earlier, you wrote that you used ProfessionalDraw for the Zorro III bus
< documentation.  Out of curiousity: how could you do such extensive
< illustration on a program that provides no way of drawing perfectly
< vertical or horizontal lines, and does not support 'Grid Snap'?  I
< find these to be indespensible.

I beg to differ on these points.  Professional Draw 2.0 does indeed
'draw perfectly vertical and horizontal lines', as well as supporting
grid snap (which IS indispensable).

< >>A business will buy a superfast PC  if
< >>they NEED the power of Ventura Publisher or AutoCAD.  Businesses won't buy
< >>VP if they just need to do simple memos,
< >
<
< Dave, you're trying to change the subject on me.  We were talking about
< ProDraw being too powerful, not Ami word processors.  My point is that I
< didn't need all its power (for text manipulation) but I didn't have the
< option to buy a low-end structured drawing program, because
< there weren't any (that I was aware of.  Since then, everyone keeps
< telling me about ProVector.)

I think Dave's point was that no one is going to intentionally buy an
overpowered product (when there are alternatives).  It sounds as
though he was agreeing with your statement.

< I am not talking about any capability that cannot be done with a word
< processor on a PC/AT, which is NOT my definition of a high-end system.
< (I've actually done this work on an PC/XT, but its s_l_o_w.)

Could you elaborate on this?  Which MS-DOS word processor have you used
that supported importing of structured drawings (with vector fonts, if
possible)?  I have never seen such a beast.

< On the more positive side: everyone has given such strong recommendations
< on AmigaTeX that I'm going to give it a try.  It will have to wait til next
< month though, as I've already spent this months software budget.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com (03/17/91)

>Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
>< Vector fonts are great if you can afford the time
>< penalty, but I bet there are plenty-o-folks with vanilla 68000 Amigas
>< who would be thrilled to have a fast, bitmapped font structured drawing
>< program.
>
>But, again, the final output quality of any bitmapped font is limited,
>whereas a vector font is not.

I have seen *excellent* output quality from bitmap fonts, the key is that
the bitmap used on the screen is *NOT* the bitmap sent to the printer.
A higher smoother resolution bitmap is what is printed.  Granted, this
does limit the size of your text (you only get the sizes they provide,
no scaling) but its FAST! on the screen, and as long as you don't want
to do anything fancy, like bending, warping, etc. of text, it works
great.

>< Earlier, you wrote that you used ProfessionalDraw for the Zorro III bus
>< documentation.  Out of curiousity: how could you do such extensive
>< illustration on a program that provides no way of drawing perfectly
>< vertical or horizontal lines, and does not support 'Grid Snap'?  I
>< find these to be indespensible.
>
>I beg to differ on these points.  Professional Draw 2.0 does indeed
>'draw perfectly vertical and horizontal lines', as well as supporting
>grid snap (which IS indispensable).

HOW?  On what page of the manual is this described?  I RTFM, and have not
been able to locate this feature.  I've tried calling Gold Disk's support
line 5 times this week for just this question (always busy, I never got
through.)

>< >>A business will buy a superfast PC  if
>< >>they NEED the power of Ventura Publisher or AutoCAD.  Businesses won't buy
>< >>VP if they just need to do simple memos,
>< >
>< >Of course not, they'll use WordPerfect or something.  You can too, but you're
>< >not writing simple memos, you're interesting in doing things that are pretty
>< >much only handled by high end system.
><
>< Dave, you're trying to change the subject on me.  We were talking about
>< ProDraw being too powerful, not Ami word processors.  My point is that I
>< didn't need all its power (for text manipulation) but I didn't have the
>< option to buy a low-end structured drawing program, because
>< there weren't any (that I was aware of.  Since then, everyone keeps
>< telling me about ProVector.)
>
>I think Dave's point was that no one is going to intentionally buy an
>overpowered product (when there are alternatives).  It sounds as
>though he was agreeing with your statement.
>
>< I am not talking about any capability that cannot be done with a word
>< processor on a PC/AT, which is NOT my definition of a high-end system.
>< (I've actually done this work on an PC/XT, but its s_l_o_w.)
>
>Could you elaborate on this?  Which MS-DOS word processor have you used
>that supported importing of structured drawings (with vector fonts, if
>possible)?  I have never seen such a beast.

Lotus Manuscript is a full featured word processor that imports
encapsulated PostScript, Lotus Freelance (Lotus' structured drawing
program, PC Bitmaps (I wrote an IFF ILBM->PC Bitmap converter once),
among others.  NOTE:  The drawings are not displayed on screen during
typing mode, but can be seen in preview mode.

Manuscript handles footnotes, endnotes, tables of contents,
figures, tables, multiple columns, structure paragraph numbering, and
mathematical formula.  It's not WYSIWYG, but its as close as you can
get when running in PC text mode.  And its plenty fast on yer basic PC/AT.

In article <40169@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:

>Earlier, you wrote that you used ProfessionalDraw for the Zorro III bus
>documentation.  Out of curiousity: how could you do such extensive
>illustration on a program that provides no way of drawing perfectly
>vertical or horizontal lines, and does not support 'Grid Snap'?  I
>find these to be indespensible.

ProDraw did both for me just dandy.  You can switch grid snap on or off as
you like it, and pick the grid you want.  While the drawing mechanism is
point to point, as long as you have the grid snap on, a perfectly vertical
or horizontal line is a piece of cake.

>I am not talking about any capability that cannot be done with a word
>processor on a PC/AT, which is NOT my definition of a high-end system.
>(I've actually done this work on an PC/XT, but its s_l_o_w.)

Just because a program works on a particular system does not mean that it was
intended to be reasonable on that system, as your mention of the PC/XT points
out.  All the DTP and CAD programs for the Amiga work just fine on an A500
hooked up to your TV set, with a little extra memory added.  That doesn't mean
such programs are really suitable for professional work at that level.  I use
the fastest Amigas around and sharp monochrome 1000x800 displays for DTP work,
and it does make a big difference.

Just about all the drawing you seem to be interested in can be handled just
dandy by most of the bitmapped drawing programs, like DPaint3 (keep in mind
that most modern programs of this type let you work on very large bitmaps).
If you don't care about vectored fonts, and just need lines and boxes, I still
don't think you really need a vectored drawing program.  I think the excellence
of the bitmapped drawing programs on the Amiga has been responsible for most of
the vectored programs aiming for the high end drawing or CAD markets.

In fact, I did use DPaint for my technical drawing for quite awhile.  It did
the job, and looked very nice.  I couldn't possibly use it to draw a detailed
mechanical spec, like the shape of a Zorro III card, so when I got into that,
I switched to ProDraw, and ultimately converted all my bitmapped drawings over
to vector format.  It's all much better looking now that it once was, but even
waveform drawings are more complex than the stuff you seem to be into.

>On the more positive side: everyone has given such strong recommendations
>on AmigaTeX that I'm going to give it a try.  It will have to wait til next
>month though, as I've already spent this months software budget.

Our QA group uses it for all their documentation, and they yell at me for
wasting time with ProPage and PostScript.  From what I have learned fooling
around with AmigaTeX, they're probably right, at least for any documents
larger than 25 pages or so.

>Lee      Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett