[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] To be or not to be .. a Mac

u3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/25/91)

G'day,

In comp.sys.amiga.advocacy Mike Schwartz (mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG ) writes:
> In comp.sys.amiga.advocacy Lyle C. Seplowitz (lcs@remus.rutgers.edu ) writes:
>>[...]
>>out of the box. Expandability is important, no computer should be
>>without some sort of expansion options.
>>
> How about adding sockets for Mac ROMs.  It would be a Classic Killer!

{ I think the Atari TT does this incidentally. }

My point I want make is that if it came to a vote (I know it won't :-),
I'd vote against making a Mac emulation feature standard ... basically
I guess because the Amiga doesn't *need* to be a Mac ... it just needs
some of its software.

It sounds like a chicken and egg problem I know.  Emulation enthusiasts
will claim that we can *run* the Mac s/w now ... but I tend to "feel" a
good port of a Mac s/w package would run better on an Amiga.  { Any one
can flame me for that statement but in the end it only comes down to my
personal gut feeling. }

But then again does any one recall the rumour that WordPerfect develop-
ment was to have been moved onto the Amiga (before they pulled the plug
on porting WP 5.x).  They now seem to have moved development to NeXT's,
or am I thinking of Lotus with Improv?

The way I heard the rumour the development for GUI based platforms (Mac
included) would be done on the Amiga first.  The 2nd part of the rumour
was that the Amiga WP development team (about 6 I heard) was split up 2
be thrown at doing the Mac WP port development...

Remember the above was a rumour only.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.