[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] IBM keyboards? Oh my god...

In article <N&2-=9%@irie.ais.org> jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:
> Yep, actually, I wish that C= would use audible IBM-type keyboards. (The only
> thing IBM does right IS their keyboards...)

What have you been smoking, and where can I get some? IBM designed the best
keyboard in the world for the IBM Selectric, and everyone (including DEC)
emulated it. Then for the PC they abandoned it for a layout that's totally
abyssmal. And you want CBM to follow in their lead?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (03/23/91)

I don't want to tell the rest of the world what keyboard I think they
should use, but I love my a500's keyboard! The loose keyboards on
our Sun and HP machines at the University are horrible. The ones on
the HP9000's(I guess thats want they are called) makes you remember
good old spectrum etc rubber keyboards, because of their strange
wandering. The ones on the Sun workstations may be bad, because they
are worn. A few of the suns have adorable keyboards though, and those
feel better than the my Amigas.
   And then we have our IBM PC's. I don't like their keyboards, even
though I've had to use them a lot. The wandering is too deep. It feels
like typing on LEGO bricks...

So: What is it you want done about the amiga keyboards? Are the detachable
keyboards for the Amiga of a poor quality? It's a long time since I last
laid my hand on one.
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.043826.15065@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <N&2-=9%@irie.ais.org> jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:
>> Yep, actually, I wish that C= would use audible IBM-type keyboards. (The only
>> thing IBM does right IS their keyboards...)
>
>What have you been smoking, and where can I get some? IBM designed the best
>keyboard in the world for the IBM Selectric, and everyone (including DEC)
>emulated it. Then for the PC they abandoned it for a layout that's totally
>abyssmal. And you want CBM to follow in their lead?
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

As is typical of the Amiga, the keyboard layout is pretty well thought out.
My only gripe is that the CAPS LOCK key isn't somewhere out of the way. I
tend to hit it a lot when my fingers get off the home key or when I want
to hit ^C to break a program...  I also like the textile feel of the
keyboards.

Recently, I bought an OmniKey Ultra keyboard, which is basically an IBM PC
clown (clone implies high-tech :) keyboard.  My 2000 keyboard died (the
CPU in it died) and I thought I would try a different brand.  I like the
OmniKey for typing, but it has a lot of wierdness to it.  It has IBM style
function keys in that screwed up configuration on the left side.  It also
has function keys across the top, but by default those are shifted function
keys.  In order to get them to be standard keys, I have to hit a key marked
"SF Select" then "Esc" each time I reboot.  Also, there are a lot of times
when Control-Amiga-Amiga just doesn't work.  The keyboard also has a reset
button on it, but it also doesn't work when C-A-A fails.

The documentation claims that the keyboard is meant to work with the Amiga,
and it has dip switch settings for the Amiga.  The keyboard has a lot of
smarts to it (much more than any other I've used).  They allow you to
reconfigure where the CAPS LOCK key and other keys go and they give you
some spare keys so you can rearrange the keyboard to what you desire.  But
they don't give you keys marked AMIGA, and the ALT keys are not the ones
marked as ALT keys.  I had to write on the key caps with a marker what
the keys really are.  You'd think that with all those years of R&D wasted
on the PC that keyboards would be a bit better.  I wouldn't recommend that
anyone else out there buy an OmniKey - Commodore's works much better for
the Amiga!

mykes

* Assembler Language separates the men from the boys. *

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (03/25/91)

> My only gripe is that the CAPS LOCK key isn't somewhere out of the way. I
> tend to hit it a lot when my fingers get off the home key or when I want
> to hit ^C to break a program...  I also like the textile feel of the
> keyboards.

Under 2.0, you have the option of disabling the caps lock key, so you can
pound to your heart's content.

rory

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (03/25/91)

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>...  I also like the textile feel of the keyboards.

I hated the cloth-like feel of the AMiga keyboard, that's why I bought an Ultra.

>Recently, I bought an OmniKey Ultra keyboard,

[stuff deleted]

>when Control-Amiga-Amiga just doesn't work.  The keyboard also has a reset
>button on it, but it also doesn't work when C-A-A fails.

Sometimes C-A-A will not work -- period!  If you have to reset your computer
without hitting the big red switch (to save an RRD) try unplugging and
plugging your keyboard back in.

>...  But
>they don't give you keys marked AMIGA, and the ALT keys are not the ones
>marked as ALT keys.  I had to write on the key caps with a marker what
>the keys really are.

No, you have to ask for them.  They have both Amiga keys, plus the resized
other keys to fit their new positions (HELP, ALT, DELETE, etc.)
--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.140708.29526@daimi.aau.dk> pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>So: What is it you want done about the amiga keyboards? Are the detachable
>keyboards for the Amiga of a poor quality? It's a long time since I last
>laid my hand on one.

I want that #$(&#$( backspace key a little bit bigger and not so far away,
I always miss hitting it and end up getting some other key.  <sigh> Oh well,
I guess I just have to play with it a bit longer to get used to it.  I still
like bigger backspace keys.  At least its not as bad as the SUN keyboard.

	Sri

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (03/25/91)

In article <8659@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
>I want that #$(&#$( backspace key a little bit bigger and not so far away,
>I always miss hitting it and end up getting some other key.  <sigh> Oh well,
>I guess I just have to play with it a bit longer to get used to it.  I still
>like bigger backspace keys.  At least its not as bad as the SUN keyboard.
>
>	Sri

Hey guys whats this crap about A1500!!
Have you all forgotten the good old A1000 wich

* you CAN put your monitor upon.
* DOES have a separate keyboard wich can be put UNDER the compter.
* DOES have a big backspace key.
* does NOT have an ugly external power-supply.
* has an easily modifiable ROM.

		:-)  /$DR.HEX$

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (03/26/91)

>* you CAN put your monitor upon.

Go to radioshack, they sell this monitor stand that DOES NOT BLOCK the
sides of the 500. Works Great! Ya can slid the Whole 500 under it.

Also some monitors have "legs" that allow ya to set them on ya 500.
>* DOES have a separate keyboard wich can be put UNDER the compter.

I've never found this usefull... It would be nice tho to have
JUST the keyboard taking up desk space, but since the computer fits
perfecally under my monitor, I have no need for this,

>* does NOT have an ugly external power-supply.

Personally i think this is one of the BEST ideas about the 500.
ya don't have the following problems.

* No heat coming from the powersupplie to the computer.
* No "Interference" affecting the machine.

Ya can put the powersupplie on the floor and Heat ya Feet on it!

Only thing i hate is that the normal 500 powersupplie is CHEAP.
I got a Microline, $99, Easy to get to Fuse, SOLID, Metal case, Lots of Vents.
and has 3 outlets in the back, thus one flip, whole system is on.

Oh yea, i got a $5 fan on my supplie/monitor to keep it EXTRA cool.
Due to it being in a "confined" space.

>* has an easily modifiable ROM.

Yea.. ALmost makes ya wish they'd allow 2.0 on a KS disk. :^)

What was the Question?

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.