[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Silly Complaints

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (03/25/91)

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG  writes....
>the vast majority of machines are 512K Amiga 500's still, so why aren't
>people upgrading to 1 Meg?

Hmmm, I don't know what its like where you live, but I know a lot of Amiga 500
owners, and I've never met one that has only 512K.  Everyone has at least 1
Meg.  At $50-$100 its the first thing people buy for their A500.  My
complaint is that software is still being limited to 512K for people who
don't exist.

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (03/25/91)

In article <roger_earl.2853@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
>mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG  writes....
>>the vast majority of machines are 512K Amiga 500's still, so why aren't
>>people upgrading to 1 Meg?
>
>Hmmm, I don't know what its like where you live, but I know a lot of Amiga 500
>owners, and I've never met one that has only 512K.  Everyone has at least 1
>Meg.  At $50-$100 its the first thing people buy for their A500.  My
>complaint is that software is still being limited to 512K for people who
>don't exist.

Only 10% (200,000) Amigas exist here in America.  I have no doubt that many of
these are at least 1Meg and have hard disks.  On the other hand, market research
shows that the other 90% of the machines are 512K Amiga 500's in Europe.  Maybe
someone from Europe can explain why?

* Assembler Language separates the men from the boys. *

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (03/25/91)

 About 512k software...
 Usally, well in fact 100% of the time its games.
 The US make 0 or 25% of the amiga market, amd mostly
 A2000 and higher people that really want to buy games.
 The euopean market: mentality totaly different!
 alot of 512k machine.Why denie the majority!
 (I'm talking about 1meg games design, not game that
 can go from 512k to 1meg.)

jbell@gara.une.oz.au (Khyron) (03/25/91)

From article <mykes.0220@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG>, by mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz):
> In article <roger_earl.2853@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
>>mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG  writes....
>>>the vast majority of machines are 512K Amiga 500's still, so why aren't
>>>people upgrading to 1 Meg?
>>
>>Hmmm, I don't know what its like where you live, but I know a lot of Amiga 500
>>owners, and I've never met one that has only 512K.  Everyone has at least 1
>>Meg.  At $50-$100 its the first thing people buy for their A500.  My
>>complaint is that software is still being limited to 512K for people who
>>don't exist.
>
> Only 10% (200,000) Amigas exist here in America.  I have no doubt that many of
> these are at least 1Meg and have hard disks.  On the other hand, market research
> shows that the other 90% of the machines are 512K Amiga 500's in Europe.  Maybe
> someone from Europe can explain why?

   Just think there are still C=64 users over there that use
datasetes.

--
jbell@gara.une.oz.au          | Justin Bell
                              | 2 Gill st
Uni of New England            | Moonbi nsw 2353
         -Armidale            | AUSTRALIA

borgen@stud.cs.uit.no (Boerge Noest) (03/26/91)

In article <mykes.0220@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>these are at least 1Meg and have hard disks.  On the other hand, market research
>shows that the other 90% of the machines are 512K Amiga 500's in Europe.  Maybe
I refuse to believe that this is the case any longer. There must be a LOT
more 1meg owners nowadays; you can't open a single magazine without reading
tons of ads for A501-clones, the cheapest going for 30 pounds(Sweden:500
SEK, Denmark: 500 DKR, Norway: erm...). Most people I know have 1meg.
>* Assembler Language separates the men from the boys. *
:-)   (I need more mem, 1meg isn't enough with ArgAsm(OK, so I lied, I
really need a HD instead))
--
|///  borgen@stud.cs.uit.no   (Borge Nost)   		B2000 rev 4.1	 \\\|
|//   ...and then there was AMIGA...					  \\|

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (03/27/91)

>On the other hand, market research
>shows that the other 90% of the machines are 512K Amiga 500's in Europe.
>Maybe someone from Europe can explain why?

Because 512k is just enough for the average young european amiga enthusiast
;-)

No, really, the 90% you mentioned are probably wrong. Most of the Amiga 500
owners I know already upgraded to at least 1 MB. To be honest, I only
know one Amiga owner personally who hasn't. And thats just because he uses
his Amiga only for playing games and does the serious work on his 386.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz            | holgerl@amiux.uucp
Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24 | holgerl@amiux.han.de

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (03/28/91)

In article <mykes.0220@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG>, mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) wrote:
>shows that the other 90% of the machines are 512K Amiga 500's in Europe.  Maybe
>someone from Europe can explain why?

	Because the 512K Amiga costs equiv. $750. yet they still sold millions.
I guess the thinking was if it wasn't broke...

	Although I did hear that as of last week Commodore UK are selling the
A500 with A501 included. Still 512K chip though. They're in some sort of
prioce war with the STE.

	You can buy dirt cheap sans clock A501-alikes for approx $50-60. There
are those 3-4 meg things as well that sit inside, but I wouldn't touch them
with a barge pole.
--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## Everyone should try to kill themselves once in a
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	while, it gives you a whole new outlook on life.