[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Keyboards

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (03/29/91)

Dave Haynie writes:
>In article <N&2-=9%@irie.ais.org> jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar22.040419.27268@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>>1) Attached keyboard is ugly
>
>>Yep, actually, I wish that C= would use audible IBM-type keyboards. (The only
>>thing IBM does right IS their keyboards...)
>
>Ugh!  Say it ain't so!  Someone actually likes those IBM keyboards?!?  The
>PC-AT keyboard layout was designed by the devil itself.  A giant CAPS-LOCK key,
>and the CTRL key off in never-never land.  The only proper keyboard is
>something reasonably DEC VT100-ish.

You mean VT220-ish, of course, the only sane industry standard
keyboard. On the Amiga, I really miss those extra four editing keys
above the cursor keys! Hmmm, VT220 keyboards are backwards compatible
with the Amiga keyboard, it seems... When can I order mine, Commodore?

-- Leonard

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (03/29/91)

In article <VINSCI.91Mar28212240@nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>Dave Haynie writes:
>>
>>>Yep, actually, I wish that C= would use audible IBM-type keyboards. (The only
>>>thing IBM does right IS their keyboards...)
>>
>>Ugh!  Say it ain't so!  Someone actually likes those IBM keyboards?!?  The
>>PC-AT keyboard layout was designed by the devil itself.  A giant CAPS-LOCK key,
>>and the CTRL key off in never-never land.  The only proper keyboard is
>>something reasonably DEC VT100-ish.
>
>You mean VT220-ish, of course, the only sane industry standard
>keyboard. On the Amiga, I really miss those extra four editing keys
>above the cursor keys! Hmmm, VT220 keyboards are backwards compatible
>with the Amiga keyboard, it seems... When can I order mine, Commodore?

First, Handshake does quite a good job of making the Amiga keypad the
functional duplicate of the VT100/220 keypad.  I can EDT using it
without having to stop and look for the function keys. Ahhh...

When the VT220 was first released I considered it to be flawed
in that it was missing ESC and BS keys, and the < and > were in a horrible
place.  Never mind that ESC, BS, and LF appear on the funciton key row;
those only work in VT100 mode.

And finally, you should check out the VT420 keyboard.  It's about as
close to the perfect keyboard as I can think of.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                ckp@grebyn.com      \\ / /

In article <VINSCI.91Mar28212240@nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
> You mean VT220-ish, of course, the only sane industry standard
> keyboard.

You mean the keyboard with the "." and "," doubled, and the "<>" key between
the Z and the shift key? Bogus.

I mean VT-100-ish, the one based on the IBM Selectric, as all good keyboards
are. I keep my old Zenith 29 terminal simply because the keyboard is Selectric
style...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <VINSCI.91Mar28212240@nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>Dave Haynie writes:
>>In article <N&2-=9%@irie.ais.org> jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:

>>>Yep, actually, I wish that C= would use audible IBM-type keyboards. (The only
>>>thing IBM does right IS their keyboards...)

>>Ugh!  Say it ain't so!  Someone actually likes those IBM keyboards?!?  The
>>PC-AT keyboard layout was designed by the devil itself.  A giant CAPS-LOCK key,
>>and the CTRL key off in never-never land.  The only proper keyboard is
>>something reasonably DEC VT100-ish.

>You mean VT220-ish, of course, the only sane industry standard
>keyboard.

Almost, but not quite.  The VT220 is nice in many respects, but it totally
beamed out by trying to hide the ESC key in the middle of the top row of keys.
Everyone knows it belongs on the end, like the CTRL key, so you can use
Emacs and stay sane.

My theory is that this was planned.  DEC noticed more and more people heaving
EDT into the dumpster and using Emacs, and that didn't sit well with them.  So
they decided to make Emacs architecturally more difficult to use by putting one
ugly into their improved keyboard.  And the world suffers.

I don't have a theory about the PC-AT CAPS-LOCK key.  After all, what reasoning
is their behind pure madness?

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.