[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] NeXT-bashing party

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (03/15/91)

In article <7724@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>
 barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>   [...]  A particular large university I know (which will remain unnamed) is
>   so pissed at NeXT that they are ready to have a NeXT-bashing party.
>   Literally. [...]

Is it an open party ? (God knows I never miss a party)
Please send address and details.

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/17/91)

In article <7724@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

 [ whole bunches of lines on the NeXT's availability deleted]

A small price to pay for getting a chip (the 68040) fresh onto the
market in a computer.  Quite a few people ordered the new NeXT.  Who
can complain.  However, I think Motorola is getting up to speed on on
040 production.  So, maybe the Amiga 4000 will be out in a year or
two.  For now, Amiga users can always pay for an Amiga 3000 then spend
another $1500(or whatever it costs) to upgrade to the 040.

-Mike

BTW: It feels good knowing that Word Perfect 5.0 runs on the NeXT.
How's Commodore doing in getting software companies to take them
seriously?

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/17/91)

In article <oo2Gzzh11@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <7724@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>
> [ whole bunches of lines on the NeXT's availability deleted]
>
>A small price to pay for getting a chip (the 68040) fresh onto the
>market in a computer.  Quite a few people ordered the new NeXT.  Who
>can complain.  However, I think Motorola is getting up to speed on on
>040 production.  So, maybe the Amiga 4000 will be out in a year or
>two.  For now, Amiga users can always pay for an Amiga 3000 then spend
>another $1500(or whatever it costs) to upgrade to the 040.

  It won't cost that much. In fact, it'll probably cost well under
$900 since I've seen 3 Amiga vendors quote $995 list for their 040
boards when they ship.

>-Mike
>
>BTW: It feels good knowing that Word Perfect 5.0 runs on the NeXT.
It feels good that AT&T Unix runs on an A3000.

>How's Commodore doing in getting software companies to take them
>seriously?

It's not a matter of taking the Amiga seriously, it's a matter of
paying their development fees. Lotus would be glad to port their
products to the Amiga for about $15 mill.

I'm willing to bet more copies of Word Perfect were sold on the
Amiga than the total number of NeXT machines sold. How did NeXT
get all those major packages ported when the # of NeXT owners only
number in the 10s of thousands? The answer is $$$ plain and simple.

If I were a developer faced with a choice of porting to the Amiga or
porting to the NeXT, I'd port to the Amiga simply because the user base
is about 2 orders of magnitude bigger. Only one thing could change my
mind, and that would be if someone offered me a large sum of money
to port to the smaller market. Hell, if the sum was large enough, I'd
port it to the CBM Pet computer. Money talks, I just wish Commodore
would raise it's voice a little.

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar17.031448.26855@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>>In article <7724@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>
>> [ whole bunches of lines on the NeXT's availability deleted]
>>

>>BTW: It feels good knowing that Word Perfect 5.0 runs on the NeXT.
>It feels good that AT&T Unix runs on an A3000.
>
>>How's Commodore doing in getting software companies to take them
>>seriously?
>
>It's not a matter of taking the Amiga seriously, it's a matter of
>paying their development fees. Lotus would be glad to port their
>products to the Amiga for about $15 mill.

Don't know about Word Perfect, but I think it might be worth it for Commodore
to pay Lotus to port Improv from NEXT, or Microsoft to make Word instead of
spending the money to advertise in magazines or newspapers.  Just having
these programs will sell the machines.

Right now if I want to write proposals or research some papers, I am forced to
use Amax on my 3000.  There is no productivity software for the Amiga (period)!

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/17/91)

In article <27E3053E.1145@orion.oac.uci.edu> nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) writes:
>Don't know about Word Perfect, but I think it might be worth it for Commodore
>to pay Lotus to port Improv from NEXT, or Microsoft to make Word instead of
>spending the money to advertise in magazines or newspapers.  Just having
>these programs will sell the machines.

I won't comment on this as I could care less whether or not Lotus or
Microsoft port their latest and greatest products to the Amiga.  If
C= has to pay large sums of money, then I have to disagree, as C=
has many other area (like RTG) that need to have large sums of
money thrown at :-).

>Right now if I want to write proposals or research some papers, I am forced to
>use Amax on my 3000.  There is no productivity software for the Amiga (period)!

This comment about `no productivity software' is utter BS of the first
degree.  CED/ISpell/AmigaTeX tied together with ARexx makes for
one hell of a `productive environment' for writing proposals or research
papers.  Methinks you have not seen all the tools on the Amiga that I
have.  I also like ProVector for making drawing for my research papers.
While ProVector is quite new and still not perfect, I think it is
a wonderful product.  The step between ProDraw I and II is about the same
as the step from ProDraw II to ProVector.  Just the fact that it has UNDO
functions and a full ARexx interface make it leaps and bounds better
than what Gold Disk has to offer.  Gold Disk has been very against (1)
adding UNDO and ARexx support to their product(s).  I won't buy another
one till they reverse this trend and I suggest you do the same.
IMHO, programs without an ARexx interface (a complete one, not a
lame on, as in AmigaVision), should be upgraded now! As the end
user gains a lot of POWER for so little work (on the part of the
developer).
I have gotten off track, so I will stop talking :-0.

(1) they have said this on BIX (over the last summer).

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/18/91)

In article <27E3053E.1145@orion.oac.uci.edu> nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) writes:
>In article <1991Mar17.031448.26855@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>>It's not a matter of taking the Amiga seriously, it's a matter of
>>paying their development fees. Lotus would be glad to port their
>>products to the Amiga for about $15 mill.
>>

>Don't know about Word Perfect, but I think it might be worth it for Commodore
>to pay Lotus to port Improv from NEXT, or Microsoft to make Word instead of
>spending the money to advertise in magazines or newspapers.  Just having
>these programs will sell the machines.
>
>Right now if I want to write proposals or research some papers, I am forced to
>use Amax on my 3000.  There is no productivity software for the Amiga (period)!

 Oh bull. There are plenty of Word Processor and DTP programs for the Amiga.
They jusr aren't as easy to use (in Mac user's opinions) as MS Word, etc.

You could still get work done you'd just have to read the manual and learn
how to use the program.

Lotus is another one of those greedy companies trying to copyright
look-and-feel. I wouldn't want Commodore to pay millions just to port
a single piece of software.,

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\
|n|   rjc@albert.ai.mit.edu   Amiga, the computer for the creative mind.  |n|

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.031448.26855@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
> In article <oo2Gzzh11@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>
>>How's Commodore doing in getting software companies to take them
>>seriously?
>
> It's not a matter of taking the Amiga seriously, it's a matter of
> paying their development fees. Lotus would be glad to port their
> products to the Amiga for about $15 mill.

(Note, I am reading between the lines...)
Uhh?! Lotus _ported_ Improv to NeXT? From where? To my knowledge, Improv
was _developed_ on NeXT platform. I have heard that they tried to
program Improv before, for O/S 2 or something else. But only after they
started to program on NeXT they could really make a working product out
of that...

Better check your points.
				Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

In article <1991Mar17.202827.5577@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>In article <1991Mar17.031448.26855@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>> In article <oo2Gzzh11@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>
>>>How's Commodore doing in getting software companies to take them
>>>seriously?
>>
>> It's not a matter of taking the Amiga seriously, it's a matter of
>> paying their development fees. Lotus would be glad to port their
>> products to the Amiga for about $15 mill.
>>

>(Note, I am reading between the lines...)
>Uhh?! Lotus _ported_ Improv to NeXT? From where? To my knowledge, Improv
>was _developed_ on NeXT platform. I have heard that they tried to
>program Improv before, for O/S 2 or something else. But only after they
>started to program on NeXT they could really make a working product out
>of that...
>
>Better check your points.
>				Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

  You read too much in between the lines. I never said anything about
Improv. I've never used it, nor do I know anything about it. I was
talking about Lotus products in general. Software companies would be
glad to port software to the Amiga, at the right price. Hell, I bet
Apple would port Quickdraw to the Amiga if Commodore licensed it and paid
Apple a few hundred million. (yea, Apple is greedy.)

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.160633.9512@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>In article <27E3053E.1145@orion.oac.uci.edu> nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar17.031448.26855@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>>
>>Right now if I want to write proposals or research some papers, I am forced to
>>use Amax on my 3000.  There is no productivity software for the Amiga (period)!
>
> Oh bull. There are plenty of Word Processor and DTP programs for the Amiga.
>They jusr aren't as easy to use (in Mac user's opinions) as MS Word, etc.

I have WordPerfect, Pen Pal, Pro Write 3.1, Pro Draw 2.0, Pro Page2,
Page Stream 2.0, Pro Vector2.0 (pretty good), etc....

No simple programs like MathType, Cricket Graph!

>You could still get work done you'd just have to read the manual and learn
>how to use the program.

Of course, you can do most of the stuffs on the Amiga, but the productivity
goes away when you have to use tricks.  Have you ever seen how slow
ProPage2.0 and Page Stream 2.0 on the A3000 compared to PageMaker on SE/30?
PakeMaker 4.0 just came out for windows and it ran really fast on my 386.

I am not trying to bash the Amiga.  I am an Amiga Fanatic.  I still have
my A1000 that I got in '86.  But after 5 years, I haven't really
seen that many programs comparable to other systems.

Question!? Are there any Amiga word processors that let you insert tables,
and structured drawings in the document?

Haven't checked out AmigaTEX though!

What about spreadsheets, and databases!
Haven't found a spreadsheet that is comparable to EXCEL or WINGZ!
Last year, I had to ran some regressions for a class, and I tried to use
the Amiga.  Took me about two days to get it to work on MaxiPlan!
The thing gets really slow when there are a lot of data, and it kept on
crashing.  I could have done the same thing on a Mac for about 5 hours.

>Lotus is another one of those greedy companies trying to copyright
>look-and-feel. I wouldn't want Commodore to pay millions just to port
>a single piece of software.,

Just one good program can sell many computers.  I am sure many original IBM
PC were sold because of LOTUS 123!!!

In article <1991Mar17.215026.15598@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
> In article <1991Mar17.202827.5577@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>>> It's not a matter of taking the Amiga seriously, it's a matter of
>>> paying their development fees. Lotus would be glad to port their
>>> products to the Amiga for about $15 mill.
>>>

>>(Note, I am reading between the lines...)
>>Uhh?! Lotus _ported_ Improv to NeXT? From where? To my knowledge, Improv
>>was _developed_ on NeXT platform. I have heard that they tried to
>>program Improv before, for O/S 2 or something else. But only after they
>>started to program on NeXT they could really make a working product out
>>of that...
>>
>>Better check your points.
>>				Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland
>
>   You read too much in between the lines. I never said anything about
> Improv. I've never used it, nor do I know anything about it. I was
> talking about Lotus products in general. Software companies would be
> glad to port software to the Amiga, at the right price. Hell, I bet
> Apple would port Quickdraw to the Amiga if Commodore licensed it and paid
> Apple a few hundred million. (yea, Apple is greedy.)

Well, wasn't your original point something like "of course it is easy
for NeXT to get Lotus and other big companies to port software to their
platform because NeXT pays much for doing that"? That's how I understood
it, anyway. I just tried to show that this might not be the case... at
least in the Lotus case. (And note that Improv is the only Lotus product
available on NeXT - and it is only available on NeXT this far. BTW,
Improv is a new generation spreadsheet - perhaps the best one.)

Hmm. And what is wrong in NeXT making arrangements with software
companies, after all? Users are happy to get new products.

In article <1991Mar18.154007.5587@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> Hmm. And what is wrong in NeXT making arrangements with software
> companies, after all? Users are happy to get new products.

Nothing at all. You can always sell a $10 product for $5. Jobs can afford to
do that, Commodore can't.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar17.031448.26855@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>In article <oo2Gzzh11@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>
>>In article <7724@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>
>> [ whole bunches of lines on the NeXT's availability deleted]
>>
>>A small price to pay for getting a chip (the 68040) fresh onto the
>>market in a computer.  Quite a few people ordered the new NeXT.  Who
>>can complain.  However, I think Motorola is getting up to speed on on
>>040 production.  So, maybe the Amiga 4000 will be out in a year or
>>two.  For now, Amiga users can always pay for an Amiga 3000 then spend
>>another $1500(or whatever it costs) to upgrade to the 040.
>
>  It won't cost that much. In fact, it'll probably cost well under
>$900 since I've seen 3 Amiga vendors quote $995 list for their 040
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since the '040 is $600-$700 in quatity 1000 I seriously doubt that a '040
board will cost much less than $900 I bet when they are released prices
will be higher since Motorola wants payment in advance.  That means small
manufacturers will pric accordingly.

>boards when they ship.
>
>>-Mike
>>
>>BTW: It feels good knowing that Word Perfect 5.0 runs on the NeXT.
>If I were a developer faced with a choice of porting to the Amiga or
>porting to the NeXT, I'd port to the Amiga simply because the user base

The wise thing to do is port to the platform that can give max return for
development time invested.  The NeXT is the best platform in that case
since Iterface Builder makes development a lot faster.

>is about 2 orders of magnitude bigger. Only one thing could change my
>mind, and that would be if someone offered me a large sum of money

I really don't think Jobs paid for the ports.  I think they saw a new
market anf jumped on it.  Remember in the software game he who gets there
first gets market share.  Get an installed base early and make it
difficult for you competitors to move in when the market starts to boom.

>to port to the smaller market. Hell, if the sum was large enough, I'd
>port it to the CBM Pet computer. Money talks, I just wish Commodore
>would raise it's voice a little.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com (03/21/91)

In article <15L002.N06Qt01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:

>I really don't think Jobs paid for the ports.  I think they saw a new
>market anf jumped on it.  Remember in the software game he who gets there
>first gets market share.  Get an installed base early and make it
>difficult for you competitors to move in when the market starts to boom.

That used to be the way the software market worked, but that's not the way
the big guys play it anymore.  They're used to a potential market of some
40-80 million systems.  A good portion of them don't even jump into the nearly
4 million unit market of the Mac, or over 2 million market of the Amiga.  When
you're thinking of a system with well under 50,000 units, no matter how early
that get in, they don't make enough profit to cover development cost, much less
make a significant drop in the bucket compared to normal sales (keep in mind
that a good part of the "sales" money for an established program is in upgrade
fees, not new sales).

The other thing is, the big software guys think about software differently.  It
used to be, you would write a program to get in on the bottom floor of a new
hardware platform, so you could catch a big chunk of the money rolling in as
people rushed over to this new platform.  These days, the big guys know that in
many cases, Joe Business User will buy whatever platform runs their
application.  Which leaves them little to no incentive to port to anything
else, as long as the current platform is capable of doing everything they need
it to be doing.  The software, not the hardware, becomes the market, and the
hardware is simply a way of supporting the software.  Not everyone has this
attitute so severly, though lots of people reading this very newsgroup believe
it to a degree, or "Lotus" would not be the issue, we'd be talking about "a
real good spreadsheet".  Which is what I think we need; Lotus 1-2-3 stinks,
IMHO (though the new one, "Improv" or whatever they call it, is moving toward
a concept I call "Data Sheets", which is essentially my idealized spreadsheet
replacement.  Long ago, I wanted to do things that are still very clumsy to do
on a modern spreadsheet, like computer timing models).

Some companies want to be established horizontally, and so they port to
practically everything, and become an industry standard, like WordPerfect.
Others attack it the market vertically -- Lotus, for instance, will get lots
more return on their investment writing something new for MS-DOS than they
will porting something to a new platform with around 1/1000th the installed
base.  You can, of course, make it worth their while by paying for the port.
That may even be good business sense, depending on your business, how much
startup money you're still getting, etc.

>/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.124422.3888@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   In article <1991Mar18.154007.5587@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
   > Hmm. And what is wrong in NeXT making arrangements with software
   > companies, after all? Users are happy to get new products.

   Nothing at all. You can always sell a $10 product for $5. Jobs can afford to
   do that, Commodore can't.
   --
   Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
   <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

What's amazing is that many people are still buying the $10 product.

-Mike

In article <ni2Gfcw51@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> What's amazing is that many people are still buying the $10 product.

Wouldn't you, at $5?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (03/24/91)

In article <oo2Gzzh11@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>BTW: It feels good knowing that Word Perfect 5.0 runs on the NeXT.
>How's Commodore doing in getting software companies to take them
>seriously?

When I ordered my upgrade to Word Perfect for AmigaDOS 2.0, I complained about
the availability of 5.0 for the NeXT, when the market is so much smaller than
the Amiga's, and they told me they weren't planning any additional development
for the NeXT version.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (03/26/91)

In article <15L002.N06Qt01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>Since the '040 is $600-$700 in quatity 1000 I seriously doubt that a '040
>board will cost much less than $900 I bet when they are released prices
>will be higher since Motorola wants payment in advance.  That means small
>manufacturers will pric accordingly.
	Have you seen how little is required to put an '040 in the CPU
slot of the 3000? The board would be little more than a holder for the chip
and a physical method for converting the PGA chip connectors to the CPU
slot connectors.
>The wise thing to do is port to the platform that can give max return for
>development time invested.  The NeXT is the best platform in that case
>since Iterface Builder makes development a lot faster.
	1) If you *KNOW* objective C.
	2) If you *WANT* to work in Objective C.
	3) If you can *STAND* objective C.
I know NOBODY who fits all three of these, and very few who know 1 want to
do 2 or 3. (Like working on Intel machines)
>I really don't think Jobs paid for the ports.  I think they saw a new
>market anf jumped on it.  Remember in the software game he who gets there
>first gets market share.  Get an installed base early and make it
>difficult for you competitors to move in when the market starts to boom.
	Of course he did. For all of them in one way or another. If not
in cash on some, then by simply having his name on the NeXT company
letterhead.

			Dave

xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.043648.17656@NCoast.ORG>, davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>In article <15L002.N06Qt01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>>Since the '040 is $600-$700 in quatity 1000 I seriously doubt that a '040
>>board will cost much less than $900 I bet when they are released prices
>>will be higher since Motorola wants payment in advance.  That means small
>>manufacturers will pric accordingly.
>	Have you seen how little is required to put an '040 in the CPU
>slot of the 3000? The board would be little more than a holder for the chip
>and a physical method for converting the PGA chip connectors to the CPU
>slot connectors.

   In addition to the '040, Commodore's '040 board for the A3000 will very
likely include a substantial amount of cache memory, and cache memory is
still VERY expensive.  This will, in turn, drive the cost of the board up.

                                       -MB-

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.222344.16190@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Mister Clueless) writes:
>In article <1991Mar26.043648.17656@NCoast.ORG>, davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>>	Have you seen how little is required to put an '040 in the CPU
>>slot of the 3000? The board would be little more than a holder for the chip
>>and a physical method for converting the PGA chip connectors to the CPU
>>slot connectors.
>
>   In addition to the '040, Commodore's '040 board for the A3000 will very
>likely include a substantial amount of cache memory, and cache memory is
>still VERY expensive.  This will, in turn, drive the cost of the board up.

Since when? I know Supra is giving the user a choice on the particular board.
(I know they have 3 boards planned, all based on the same basic design) And
``very likely''. I think Dave (Haynie, not Wright) said an '040 board for
the 3000 will be very basic. Marc, I'd watch what you say, since you
*obviously* don't know what you're talking about. On the other hand, I'm
more inclined to believe Dave Wright, since not only does he have a reputation
for being right, but it's been stated by Haynie that it was Just That Simple.
You, on the other hand, have a nasty reputation for being rude, obnovious, and
above all, WRONG.

--
    // Joseph Hillenburg/Blackwinter, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
  \X/    jph@valnet.UUCP          jph@irie.ais.org        jph@gnu.ai.mit.edu

cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.222344.16190@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>In article <1991Mar26.043648.17656@NCoast.ORG>, davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>>In article <15L002.N06Qt01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>>>Since the '040 is $600-$700 in quatity 1000 I seriously doubt that a '040
>>>board will cost much less than $900 I bet when they are released prices
>>>will be higher since Motorola wants payment in advance.  That means small
>>>manufacturers will pric accordingly.
>>	Have you seen how little is required to put an '040 in the CPU
>>slot of the 3000? The board would be little more than a holder for the chip
>>and a physical method for converting the PGA chip connectors to the CPU
>>slot connectors.
>
>   In addition to the '040, Commodore's '040 board for the A3000 will very
>likely include a substantial amount of cache memory, and cache memory is
>still VERY expensive.  This will, in turn, drive the cost of the board up.

I predict that C= '040 board will not have any external cache memory.
C= always like to keep prices down and will probably rely on the
internal cache (as in the A3000).  Though I could be totally
wrong of course...

--
Colin Adams
Computer Science Department                     James Cook University

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.043648.17656@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>In article <15L002.N06Qt01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>>Since the '040 is $600-$700 in quatity 1000 I seriously doubt that a '040
>>board will cost much less than $900 I bet when they are released prices
>>will be higher since Motorola wants payment in advance.  That means small
>>manufacturers will pric accordingly.

I was referencing price not ease of installation.  But since you talk of
installation ease.

>       Have you seen how little is required to put an '040 in the CPU
>slot of the 3000? The board would be little more than a holder for the chip
>and a physical method for converting the PGA chip connectors to the CPU
>slot connectors.

Not that easy.  More pins on a '040 some of those pins are power pins.
The '040 doesn't have the full 68882 built into it.  This means that
either you have to trap the instructions and provide emulation via the OS
or you can recompile all your applications.  The '040 is NOT just a drop
in replacement for an '030.

>>The wise thing to do is port to the platform that can give max return for
>>development time invested.  The NeXT is the best platform in that case
>>since Iterface Builder makes development a lot faster.
>	1) If you *KNOW* objective C.
>	2) If you *WANT* to work in Objective C.
>	3) If you can *STAND* objective C.

You use interface builder.  You don't write code for buttons, sliders,etc.
You write your application in plain old C and your application talks to
button and slider objects.

>I know NOBODY who fits all three of these, and very few who know 1 want to
>do 2 or 3. (Like working on Intel machines)
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I happen to like Intel machines for some applications.  Engineering
software.  It's cheaper than any other platform, more polished and more
abundant.

>>I really don't think Jobs paid for the ports.  I think they saw a new
>>market anf jumped on it.  Remember in the software game he who gets there
>>first gets market share.  Get an installed base early and make it
>>difficult for you competitors to move in when the market starts to boom.

>       Of course he did. For all of them in one way or another. If not
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since yoou have no proof this is speculation.

>in cash on some, then by simply having his name on the NeXT company letterhead.
>                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is called influence, NOT payment.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */
/*                                                           */
/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) (03/28/91)

In article <4aQk02L406l501@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>,
kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> Not that easy.  More pins on a '040 some of those pins are power pins.
> The '040 doesn't have the full 68882 built into it.  This means that
> either you have to trap the instructions and provide emulation via the OS
> or you can recompile all your applications.  The '040 is NOT just a drop
> in replacement for an '030.

	How much (functionally) has been left out of the 68040 that the
68882 has?

[more stuff deleted]
> >I know NOBODY who fits all three of these, and very few who know 1 want to
> >do 2 or 3. (Like working on Intel machines)
>             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I happen to like Intel machines for some applications.  Engineering
> software.  It's cheaper than any other platform, more polished and more
> abundant.

	Only on MS-DOS you say, pity.

[more stuff deleted]
> >                       Dave

> /*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

Andy Nagy (ptoper@gaul.csd.uwo.ca)
The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
 "Dee do do do, dee da da da, thats all I want to say to you" -- The Police

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/29/91)

In article <2577@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
>In article <4aQk02L406l501@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>,
>kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>> Not that easy.  More pins on a '040 some of those pins are power pins.
>> The '040 doesn't have the full 68882 built into it.  This means that
>> either you have to trap the instructions and provide emulation via the OS
>> or you can recompile all your applications.  The '040 is NOT just a drop
>> in replacement for an '030.
>
>	How much (functionally) has been left out of the 68040 that the
>68882 has?

The transcendental functions have been left out, ie tanh, sinh, cosh,
etc.
--

ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) (03/29/91)

In article <52f1029o06cX01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>,
kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
> In article <2577@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> >	How much (functionally) has been left out of the 68040 that the
> >68882 has?
> >

> The transcendental functions have been left out, ie tanh, sinh, cosh,
> etc.
> --

	Is it possible for the 68040 to use the 68882 the same way that the
68030 to do the transcendentals?

	If the answer to the first question is yes, then is it possible for
a 68040 in the CPU slot (on an A3000) to use the 68882 on the motherboard?

Andy Nagy (ptoper@asterix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca)
The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
 "Dee do do do, dee da da da, thats all I want to say to you" -- The Police

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (03/29/91)

    [Actually 040 - 882 relation]
In <2577@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
|  [...]
|  How much (functionally) has been left out of the 68040 that the
| 68882 has?
| [more stuff deleted]

This came across comp.sys.next some time ago:

 |The 040 floating point hardware instructions are
 |        FADD, FSUB, FMUL, FDIV, FSQRT, FMOVE (most addressing modes),
 |        FABS, FNEG, FMOVEM, FCMP, FSAVE, FScc, FDBcc, FBcc, FRESTORE
 |
 |The 040 floating point software instructions are
 |        FACOS, FASIN, FATAN, FATANH, FCOS, FCOSH, FETOX, FETOXL, FGETEXP,
 |        FGETMAN, FINT, FINTRZ, FLOG10, FLOG2, FLOGN, FLOGNP1, FMOD, FMOVECR,
 |        FREM, FSCALE, FSIN, FSINCOS, FSINH, FTAN, FTANH, FTENTOX, FTWOTOX

   Check your 040 bible before using...
   -het

   "he looked so immaculately frightful as he bummed a cigarette
    and went off sniffing drainpipes & reciting the alphabet" -R Zimmerman

 Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
 uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
            a186@mindlink.UUCP

rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com (03/29/91)

In article <2577@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
> In article <4aQk02L406l501@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>,
> kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
>> Not that easy.  More pins on a '040 some of those pins are power pins.
>> The '040 doesn't have the full 68882 built into it.  This means that
>> either you have to trap the instructions and provide emulation via the OS
>> or you can recompile all your applications.  The '040 is NOT just a drop
>> in replacement for an '030.
>
> 	How much (functionally) has been left out of the 68040 that the
> 68882 has?
>
> [more stuff deleted]
>> >I know NOBODY who fits all three of these, and very few who know 1 want to
>> >do 2 or 3. (Like working on Intel machines)
>>             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> I happen to like Intel machines for some applications.  Engineering
>> software.  It's cheaper than any other platform, more polished and more
>> abundant.
>
> 	Only on MS-DOS you say, pity.

Okay guys. I used to be an Amiga developer. I still own 3 systems at home.
I am now a NeXT developer. Nobody paid me any money to do it, the NeXT
is simply  a more powerful, capable computer. I feel it is this decades
Mac in terms of sales growth and market penetration, and so do my financial
backers. I still love the Amiga, but it has its place and the NeXT occupies a
different place. It's lie the car add where all the car salesman are saying
"BMW has * just like it"," BMW would build it this way","This is just like the
one ob the BMW", and the commercial tags with the line,"Why not OWN the BMW?"
Point is, you can dress up an Amiga, and it will stil be an Amiga. If you, or
your product, needs the power and capability of the NeXT, that's where you
should be.
'nough said.
Mike.

In article <1991Mar26.222344.16190@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:

>   In addition to the '040, Commodore's '040 board for the A3000 will very
>likely include a substantial amount of cache memory, and cache memory is
>still VERY expensive.  This will, in turn, drive the cost of the board up.

Whether or not the C= board comes with lots of external cache, in general, you pay for
performance.  The NeXT machines don't provide external cache.  It's certainly not
required on a 68040 board for the A3000, and you could get pretty close to NeXT
'040 system performance without it.  Extra cache would be a good idea if you want to
run faster than a NeXT '040 machine, but it certainly wouldn't be free.  But since
it's an A3000 add-in, I'm certain you'll be able to choose between several different
'040 designs, so you can have your own price vs. performance tradeoff, not one
dictated by C=.  An '040 board for the A3000 doesn't have to have its own 32 bit
Fast RAM.  That makes the basic '040 board design relatively simple when compared to
an A2000 Coprocessor board, which always needed 32-bit Fast RAM.  I think to help
differentiate their products, various '040 board Makers will add interesting additional
features -- cache, very fast DRAM (also supported by the A3000 Coprocessor slot), or
multiple CPUs come to mind.

>                                       -MB-
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

In article <2577@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
>In article <4aQk02L406l501@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>,
>kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>> Not that easy.  More pins on a '040 some of those pins are power pins.

"Easy" is a relative term.  You don't simply plug a 68040 into the A3000.
You must design some bus conversion logic to allow the 68040 to talk to the
A3000 bus.  You generally need to build a bus cycle converter and a bus
sizing mechanism (though the bus sizing mechanism could in theory be a
subset of the suggested bus conversion in the Motorola appnotes if you're
clever about it).

>> The '040 doesn't have the full 68882 built into it.  This means that
>> either you have to trap the instructions and provide emulation via the OS
>> or you can recompile all your applications.  The '040 is NOT just a drop
>> in replacement for an '030.

>	How much (functionally) has been left out of the 68040 that the
>68882 has?

Motorola sez "The floating-point arithmetic instructions supported by the
MC68040 are an enhanced subset of the MC68881/MC68882 floating-point
coprocessor instructions".  The 68040 adds instructions that include the
data type they're working on (single/double).  It also extends the FPU
model with exception support, including the FPIAR (floating-point
instruction address register), which points to any floating-point
instruction prior to execution, allowing trap handlers to quickly find
any unsupported FPU instruction.  The missing '882 instructions are
mainly the trancendental instructions: [H][A]SIN, [H][A]COS, [H][A]TAN.
There are also a couple of manipulation functions, and the constant ROM,
no longer built-in.  This isn't really that strange, in fact, it's
pretty common on RISC systems to emulate some or all of the floating
point instructions via traps.  SPARC is a good example; it left out
the multiply and divide instructions in the first hardware implementations,
yet still got good performance.

>> I happen to like Intel machines for some applications.

What the heck -- some people like Pabst Beer, or Madonna.  Doesn't mean
either is A Good Thing.

>>Engineering software.  It's cheaper than any other platform, more
>>polished and more abundant.

Engineering software is certainly cheaper for MS-DOS than for a typical
Workstation.  It's also, in many cases, barely functional.  MS-DOS does
not support enough memory to do much in the way of PCB CAD, for
example.  There are hacks around this, of course, but to really get
that on a PC, you need a '386 and either UNIX or OS/2.  And that
OS requirement eliminates all three states advantages.  Amiga CAD software
in this area isn't as mature, but it's already getting as-capable.  Pro-Net
has its advantages and disadvantages over Schema or OrCAD, and it's only
in its second generation.  Pro-Board isn't quite as flexible as the
OrCAD PCB program, but it's a zillion times faster and less buggy (both
Pro-Board and OrCAD I've used are version 2.something).  I have only
recently acquired BoardMaster, but it seems to seriously kick the butt
of the majority of low cost PC PCB applications, and it's dirt cheap.
And I have yet to find a bug.

On the other hand, there are some things which may never show up on
any system other than MS-DOS.  There's plenty of things that are so
restricted in market, they can only survive on a lowest-common
denominator type system, which like it or not is MS-DOS.

>> /*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

>Andy Nagy (ptoper@gaul.csd.uwo.ca)

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (03/30/91)

Is it really worth having external cache with 040 chip?
I read from somewhere which compared the performance of
486 with 128k cache and without one. In general, the
presence of cache only makes 20% difference or so, according
to them. I remember them stating that the internal 4 way
assositive 8k cache is 'equivalent' to 32k external,
assuming no clever cache contoller is used.

Any comments ?

-TG

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.192948.1914@cs.mcgill.ca> tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) writes:

   Is it really worth having external cache with 040 chip?
   I read from somewhere which compared the performance of
   486 with 128k cache and without one. In general, the
   presence of cache only makes 20% difference or so, according
   to them. I remember them stating that the internal 4 way
   assositive 8k cache is 'equivalent' to 32k external,
   assuming no clever cache contoller is used.

   Any comments ?

20% of 15 mips is 3 more mips.  Anyone care for an extra 3 mips?

-Mike

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar29.130758.1@dev8.mdcbbs.com> rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com writes:
>Okay guys. I used to be an Amiga developer. I still own 3 systems at home.
>I am now a NeXT developer. Nobody paid me any money to do it, the NeXT
>is simply  a more powerful, capable computer. I feel it is this decades
>Mac in terms of sales growth and market penetration, and so do my financial
>backers. I still love the Amiga, but it has its place and the NeXT occupies a
>different place. It's lie the car add where all the car salesman are saying
>"BMW has * just like it"," BMW would build it this way","This is just like the
>one ob the BMW", and the commercial tags with the line,"Why not OWN the BMW?"
>Point is, you can dress up an Amiga, and it will stil be an Amiga. If you, or
>your product, needs the power and capability of the NeXT, that's where you
>should be.
>'nough said.
>Mike.

I don't intend to knock the NeXT, I think that they have done some interesting
things.  I do wonder, though, whether or not they will really survive in the
market place.  Let's remember that they have apparently shipped less then
10% of the numbers of Amiga's that have shipped, and that from reports given
here on the net are very backlogged in making deliveries (and are quite
possibly losing sales because of it).  The price-performance ratio for the
NeXT is quite nice, nice enough so that I wonder if there is any real profit
being made.  Since NeXT is a privately held company, we don't get to find out
how they are doing financially.  On the other hand, we do know that Commodore
is presently showing a profit, and that the Amiga, while certainly lacking
the market penetration of MS-DOS machines, and Macs, does seem to be doing
well in certain markets.

As pointed out in the above post, though, it is useful to evaluate a machine
for what it is, not for what it isn't.  One should buy a machine that fits
the users requirements.  If the machine must have a 68040 _initially_, then
the Amiga does not _yet_ fill the bill (although you may have to wait quite
a while to get the NeXT that does come with the 68040).  If you want an
industry standard version of Unix, then the A3000UX with SVR4 may be much
more appropriate then the Mac with A/UX or the NeXT.  As far as my requirements
went, I was quite happy with the Amiga (although I'd still like an Ada
compiler, which I believe will come eventually.  I note that the NeXT doesn't
have an validated Ada compiler either).

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar26.222344.16190@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>In article <1991Mar26.043648.17656@NCoast.ORG>, davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>>	Have you seen how little is required to put an '040 in the CPU
>>slot of the 3000? The board would be little more than a holder for the chip
>>and a physical method for converting the PGA chip connectors to the CPU
>>slot connectors.
>
>   In addition to the '040, Commodore's '040 board for the A3000 will very
>likely include a substantial amount of cache memory, and cache memory is
>still VERY expensive.  This will, in turn, drive the cost of the board up.
>
>                                       -MB-

	1) How do you know what C='s board will have
	2) How do you know that, if they DO provide FOR cache, that they
		will sell it with any chips installed? Why should they decide
		how much cache people want. A more realistic actions would
		be to provide ZIP/SIM sockets and let people add what they
		want.
	3) Who say's it has to come from C=? There are 3rd part boards in the
		works right now, and there is no reason that some 3rd party
		mfgr won't sell a bare board (no '040 or chrystal), for a
		paltry amount, with no way to add a cache (such as the
		Midget Racer boards for the 500/2000 line).
	4) If C= *DID* provide some cache, the price would still be the same
		as any other system with a '040 and cache, as again, the
		board itself (even with support for an on-board cache) would
		be basically very few parts (and certainly no expensive
		parts (other than the '040 and fast RAM, of course)).

			Dave

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (04/02/91)

In article <4aQk02L406l501@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:

>Not that easy.  More pins on a '040 some of those pins are power pins.
	I clearly said "in the CPU slot". The number of pins on the '040 is
irrelevant. All signal lines are provided for on the CPU slot, and I would be
VERY suprised if it needed any power lines with different levels than the '030
(or ANY modern CPU).
>The '040 doesn't have the full 68882 built into it.  This means that
>either you have to trap the instructions and provide emulation via the OS
>or you can recompile all your applications.  The '040 is NOT just a drop
>in replacement for an '030.
	Absolutely you would need some software support for the '040 to use
the full functionality of the FP routines. This has zero to do with the
physical aspects of designing an '040 board to fit the CPU slot of the 3000.
This is strictly a software issue. And if I am not mistaken, the routines that
are not included in the '040 are the less used functions, and again, if I am
not mistaken, AmigaDOS 2.0 *DOES* provide for them in the standard math
libraries (you know, the ones that will allow your program to run with
no FPU, a '881, or a '882 with no coding changes). Personally, as I NEVER use
FP, and I probobly own no program that does use FP and does make use of the
seldom used missing functions, and I am pretty sure of #2 above, I consider this
a moot point. And again, it's a software question, not a hardware one.
>You use interface builder.  You don't write code for buttons, sliders,etc.
>You write your application in plain old C and your application talks to
>button and slider objects.
	Gee, you mean just like in AmigaDOS 2.0? Boy, all this time I have
been using PowerWindows and various other PD programs to create
ready-to-compile modules that I just link in with "plain old C" modules I
must have been doing some extra step somewhere.
>>I know NOBODY who fits all three of these, and very few who know 1 want to
>>do 2 or 3. (Like working on Intel machines)
>            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>I happen to like Intel machines for some applications.  Engineering
>software.  It's cheaper than any other platform, more polished and more
>abundant.
	The 80x86 is more polished than the 680x0? This is a first I have
heard from someone who has used both. Most people who have worked with Intel
chips have been able to notice that the '[234]86 is just a hacked up and
souped up 808[0586], with the primitive early 70's segmentation
archetecture.
>>       Of course he did. For all of them in one way or another. If not
>Since yoou have no proof this is speculation.
	No, since I simply can't remember who wrote the article that appeared
a while back stating openly how much NeXT, Inc. payed Lotus to write it on the
NeXT, along with other "incentives" that would certainly sway any company
(free machines to use to develop it, etc.)

>>in cash on some, then by simply having his name on the NeXT company letterhead.
>>                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>This is called influence, NOT payment.
	Hmm, So if Bo Jackson puts his name on something it isn't going to
increase the sales and/or prestige of the products that manufacturer makes,
even if they are unrelated to the one he actually endorses? Take a marketing
class. When a well-known person has something to do with a product, people
remember the COMPANY who produces the product, NOT just the individual
product they saw him/her hold in their hands.

			Dave

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (04/03/91)

In article <2602@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
>	Is it possible for the 68040 to use the 68882 the same way that the
>68030 to do the transcendentals?

I'm a software guy, but wasn't the co-processor line taken out of the 68040?

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus