[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Lemmings - a tutorial Part IV

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) (04/03/91)

From article <mykes.0384@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG>, by mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz):
> In article <NV89-NUN.91Mar26143125@alv.nada.kth.se> nv89-nun@alv.nada.kth.se (Nicklas Ungman) writes:
>>In article <mykes.0250@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>>
>>I don't see any reason to make a program (game or not) non HD installable.
>>In fact I see it as lazyness or stupidity to not do it. The reason of
>>having a hard disk is to be able to access all your programs from it,
>>instead of having several hundreds of floppy disks all over your place,
>>which can result in a great mess of floppy disks.
>>
> So you can modem it to your friends?

#pragma SOAPBOX

making a game not-hd installable has NOT STOPPED any pirates that i've seen.
copy protecting a game has           NOT STOPPED any pirates that i've seen.
copy protecting a game has made a market for copy software/gadgets (i'd
like to know how many game companies have some form of investment in copy
software/gadget companies).
I have NEVER seen ANY FORM of copy protection stop something from being
pirated.  When are software companies going to get the message that after
investing thousands to develop a new copy protection scheme, some pirate
will break it 5 minutes later?

I have seen it STOP honest people from purchasing the game.

I do not pirate stuff myself.  I also do not buy on-disk protected software
unless there is some method of obtaining a non-protected version.
Imbedding my name in the intro screen is fine.  I do still buy stuff that
uses some other form of protection such as manual lookup, codewheels, or
code sheets, as these do not hinder my ability make backups (which I am
entitled to do under the law).  I don't like these other forms of
protection, but I can live with them for now.

#pragma NOSOAPBOX

> It is the other way around... THe OS is insulting to games.  It is not
> The Amiga is a game machine with the power of a computer.  At least two

I'm glad that not everyone views it this way.

>>   >|n|   rjc@albert.ai.mit.edu   Amiga, the computer for the creative mind.  |n|
>>(Only masochists program in assembler only :-)
>
> Someone sold you a lie.

You have obviosly never had to maintain a large application that needs to
run on several different platforms (as in different CPU's and O.S.'s)
> --
> * Appendix A of the Amiga Hardware Manual tells you    *
> * everything you need to know to take full advantage   *
> * of the power of the Amiga.  And it is only 10 pages! *

I consider part of the power to be multitasking.
--
VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil