[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] LEMMINGS -- 750,000 bytes & Rising -- Take it to .advocacy!

Yep, that's right campers, the (now seven) threads following up Mike
Farren's comp.sys.amiga.games postings have now passed three quarters of
a megabyte in over 200 followup articles in comp.sys.amiga.programmer,
and I haven't even caught up with today's dreck. Of that perhaps
20 Kbytes is information useful to programmers; the rest is sheerest
chest puffing and macho marching.

Get it the hell out of here.

This is _exactly_ the kind of garbage .advocacy was designed to
sidetrack. .programmer is now the biggest c.s.a group, and this kind of
mindless drivel is not improving matters a bit.

And before the newbies flame back "who died and willed you the godhead",
ask around.  I've got it by rights.

And on another note (see and respect the damned followups line!!!!)

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>> Most Amiga owners are *NOT* programmers, nor do they want to be. The
>> Amiga is popular MOSTLY among game players, followed by desktop video
>> users.

> Yes, that is true. But if you offer them products which FORCE them to
> remain only game players, then game players is all that they will ever
> be. Nintendo owners will never make good programmers.

I'd like to emphasize this point. Releasing "take over the system" games
_hurts_ the Amiga hardware and software market; if the game you bought
won't multitask, what's the use of buying more memory so that you can
have room to multitask more things? If your life, like mine, is a series
of BBS downloads and file reading, what use a game that won't interact
well with a download?

If you're a games-only person, why buy a harddisk or extended memory if
the games you buy can't make use of them?

The sword of nuking the system cuts both ways; nuke the system because
the machines in the market have too little memory, and you guarantee
that they stay that way, because you have given them no reason to
upgrade.

Somebody has to blink; to make sure it is the game writers, users need
to stop buying the games that don't "fit" the Amiga -- hardware and OS,
we bought it for both; they can damn well support both if they're such
hotshot programmers.

Pathetic that the game writers are themselves the biggest cause of the
underpowered, unexpanded systems they howl about so loudly.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.