[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Request for advice

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (04/05/91)

Dear Amiga fans:

	Please help me decide how to spend my money!  I am considering
getting an Amiga 3000UX because I think it's a really cool machine.  But
lately, I've been thinking that it would be better to buy a new stereo
system, or maybe some real estate.  Could somebody please tell me the
advantages and disadvantages of each?  Please POST your answers because I am
sure lots of people have the same question.

	Also, I want to start programming the Amiga, and I would like to
know which language is best.  Is assembly language really useless, or what?
And does C suck?  Once again, please post all your answers.

	In case you are interested... my first programming project will be a
"clock" that displays the time in the right hand corner of the Workbench
screen.  On lots of advice from the Net, I've decided that my program should
kill the OS and take over the machine.  All the other clock programs I've
seen are just too slow -- they take an entire SECOND to update the display!
Go straight to the metal, that's what I always say.

	Oh yeah, another question:  why isn't there a new Amiga chipset
yet?  I swear, if General Electric can bring out a new refrigerator model
every 6 months, why can't Commodore?  Maybe they should spend more money.
Or save more money.  Or both.  Anyway, I know what I'm talking about because
my uncle took a marketing course once.

	Finally, I missed the most recent NeXT vs. Amiga flame war.  Could
somebody please repost all of the articles?

	Thanks!

							Dan

* Appendix A of the Amiga Hardware Manual contains    *
* secret devil-worship messages, and many episodes of *
* "The Partridge Family", if you look hard enough!    *

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/05/91)

From article <7908@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, by barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett):

> Dear Amiga fans:

You could be locked up for such statements...  Thank god it's after
April 1... :)  I'll repost them right away... :)
--
- gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu -	|  IBM's brain is on overload, and Apple
	Gregory Block		|  needs to be potty-trained.  C= may not

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (04/05/91)

In article <> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	Please help me decide how to spend my money!  I am considering
>getting an Amiga 3000UX because I think it's a really cool machine.  But
>lately, I've been thinking that it would be better to buy a new stereo
>system, or maybe some real estate.  Could somebody please tell me the

Sure thing, dude.  I bought an A3000 WITH a stereo -- way cool concept, man.

Real Estate, on the other hand, is dead.
Although, I hear you can get cheap land in the MidWest.

>know which language is best.  Is assembly language really useless, or what?
>And does C suck?  Once again, please post all your answers.

Why use any of them -- that's why we have ABasic.
Well, we had it.
*Real* computers come with ABasic.

>On lots of advice from the Net, I've decided that my program should
>kill the OS and take over the machine.  All the other clock programs I've

Oh, wow!  I have a 12 year old brainless kid who'd *kill* for a 3D rotating
clock algo-thingie.  Don't forget the backface removal, scrolling text, and
the music that you can play on your new stereo.

But can you *please* put in a pause thing so that we can go back to the OS so
that my twelve year old brainless kid can post to the NET?
*Please*?

>	Oh yeah, another question:  why isn't there a new Amiga chipset
>yet?  I swear, if General Electric can bring out a new refrigerator model
>every 6 months, why can't Commodore?  Maybe they should spend more money.

They are!  No kidding.  It has BSP-tree real-time shadowing capabilities with
built in Phong shading.  Or at least it better, Lord knows we'll just fall
*way* behind the competition without it.

Oh, and it costs only $20.

>	Finally, I missed the most recent NeXT vs. Amiga flame war.  Could
>somebody please repost all of the articles?

Sure, but I've run the whole thing through lharc, so you can unlharc the
following:

   1: Foo.
   2: Same to you bub.

>	Thanks!

No thank you -- the funniest post I've seen in awhile! :)

>* Appendix A of the Amiga Hardware Manual contains    *
>* secret devil-worship messages, and many episodes of *
>* "The Partridge Family", if you look hard enough!    *

The biggest secret is that if you take over the whole machine, dump the OS
through the audio channels twice as fast as they accept data (backwards, of
course), you end up hearing something that closely resembles Gilligan's
Island.

Anyone want a used Isuzu?

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus