[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Why no 320*200*8?

kris@tpki.toppoint.de (Kristian Koehntopp) (03/22/91)

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:
> What about 8-bitplanes of color?

Looking at the time-slot allocation diagram in my old Hardware Reference
Manual, I can see two unused video time slots per pixel in low-resolution
mode.

I don't know, if this has been asked before, but why are there no bitplanes
7 and 8 in low-resolution mode? Has it to do with 8 bit register bus
adresses (only 256 16-bit custom chip registers?) or are there difficulties
allocating space for the extra circuitry on the custom chips?

I consider adding bitplanes 7 and 8 the cheapest way to expand the custom
chips. By doing this, one would get 320*200 (320*256) and 320*400 (320*512)
in 256 colors and (provided you expand the color registers to 6 or 8 bit per
r, g and b) a 256K color HAM-mode.

This are also spcifications of cheap 256KB VGA cards.

Kristian

Kristian Koehntopp, Harmsstrasse 98, 2300 Kiel, +49 431 676689
		.sig (Heute ohne Sepp)

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (03/25/91)

It will not be has easy now , since the 256 word table would not be
consequtive with the 2.0 adition.
But I dont know why it wasn't done the first time? I alway wonder
why the cut down, since the gfx library only ask for it!

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar24.203644.10678@starnet.uucp> sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) writes:
>It will not be has easy now , since the 256 word table would not be
>consequtive with the 2.0 adition.
>But I dont know why it wasn't done the first time? I alway wonder
>why the cut down, since the gfx library only ask for it!

The simple  answer is (as the software guy says):

   It's a hardware problem.

The chips are created using rather old technology, and as it is things are
rather kludged to get the hires and productivity rates out of them.  We
need CMOS chips, that's all there is to it :)

From a software point of view it'd probably be rather trivial.

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (04/03/91)

 ok,ok. If you say its a hardware problem.what hardware problem?!
 $dff180 was the start of the color lookup table and no register other
 than color register where placed after $dff180 (not anymore!)
 And if you get hires 4bit you get lores 8bit...
 the only diferecne betwen hirs 4bit and lores 8bit is display delay
 time and use a 256 color table instead of 16.
 Like Half bright! was it hard to have 64 color register?!
 I'm sory but I dont see any hardware for both: true 6 bitplanes and
 making 8 bit available in lores...
 Or is it because it hase only 256 word addresing space?! and even in
 that case true 6 bit was posible.

 Anyone actually know why?

							Stephan.

In article <1991Apr3.090055.8224@starnet.uucp> sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) writes:

> ok,ok. If you say its a hardware problem.what hardware problem?!
> $dff180 was the start of the color lookup table and no register other
> than color register where placed after $dff180 (not anymore!)
> And if you get hires 4bit you get lores 8bit...
> the only diferecne betwen hirs 4bit and lores 8bit is display delay
> time and use a 256 color table instead of 16.
> Like Half bright! was it hard to have 64 color register?!

Half bright still uses only 32 color registers, the others are
computed in hardware in real time (a shift register?)!
Now, 256 color registers would really make up for a big space on
the chips, and this is simply not feasible with current NMOS
technology. So we must wait until all this is transferred to CMOS
where this indeed shouldn't be a big problem anymore.
Disclaimer: I'm not in the hardware group, so I don't know whether
there is already such a development planned or in the works, sorry.
But as I said already: When you consider that the new custom chips
in the A3000 are already CMOS, this means that CMOS is no foreign
word for those guys. And I really hope to see someday our beloved
chips in new technology, beating every competitor out of his boots :-)))

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (04/06/91)

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) writes:

> Like Half bright! was it hard to have 64 color register?!

Halfbrite doesn't use 64 color registers - just 32.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us