[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] 512k amigas

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (03/26/91)

About this amiga 512k crap: Most european amigas are 512k, that's true. Market
research has missed one important issue though, most of these users do not buy
software, and if they do they buy shoot'em ups or similar software. Users with
1 MB are much more interesting for the companies really. This group is willing
to spend more money on quality software. The trend is that most people that
continue to use their amigas for more than occasional joystick bashing have
upgraded or are about to.

Market research is all well and good but quality software is bought by quality
users.

Regards, Jorgen
--
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se | DUMII: Sentinel of the scales
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.

vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) (03/29/91)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:

> About this amiga 512k crap: Most european amigas are 512k, that's true. Marke
> research has missed one important issue though, most of these users do not bu
> software, and if they do they buy shoot'em ups or similar software. Users wit
> 1 MB are much more interesting for the companies really. This group is willin
> to spend more money on quality software. The trend is that most people that
> continue to use their amigas for more than occasional joystick bashing have
> upgraded or are about to.

I guess I'm one case in point where I didn't buy an Amiga for games.  And
believe it or not, I find that I'm in a rare category of Amiga users that
didn't buy the Amiga with awsome games in mind.  I got one because of the
overall power the computer can exercise.

As far as software is concerned, I'd be more willing to buy Amiga software
if the overall quality and 'standardness' really starts coming into play.  I
find myself turning to the IBM realm for high quality software, although I
do have to admit that there are software packages for the Amiga that really
can't be seen in other computers....

If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
available....

   Victor

In article <LyaJZ1w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) writes:

>If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
>Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
>interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
>available....

	What do you mean these programs aren't available? MAPLE
has been available on the Amiga for quite some time and the Amiga
Unix port is underway.

>   Victor

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/01/91)

In article <LyaJZ1w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) writes:
   As far as software is concerned, I'd be more willing to buy Amiga software
   if the overall quality and 'standardness' really starts coming into play.  I
   find myself turning to the IBM realm for high quality software, although I
   do have to admit that there are software packages for the Amiga that really
   can't be seen in other computers....

I don't suppose you have considered the NeXT?  Runs PC software in a
window, runs Unix software, and it runs X windows.  Supported by major
software companies like Adobe, Lotus, Wingz, Quark, FrameMaker, and
Word Perfect plus thousands of zealots on the internet :-).

   If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
   Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
   interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
   available....

Mathematica comes free with the NeXT if you buy it through a
university.  I imagine the 386 version of Mathematica (only version
that runs on DOS machines) will cost you a pretty penny.  You just
missed the free Lotus Improv deal that ended today, but you still get
the best computer for the money in the industry.

-Mike

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/02/91)

In article <LyaJZ1w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) writes:
>If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
>Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
>interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
>available....

Humm, tell that to the 8 MB directory holding Maple on my Hard Drive.
I got it for $45 from the micro computing center on campus.

--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/02/91)

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>>If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
>>Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
>>interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
>>available....

>Humm, tell that to the 8 MB directory holding Maple on my Hard Drive.
>I got it for $45 from the micro computing center on campus.

Exactly WHAT IS MAPLE? I remember seing it on a Mac, (The icon that is..)
But never foggered out what it did.

The thing is 8 Meg Big?

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

kuch@reed.edu (04/03/91)

What?  Maple for the Amiga for $45!!!  No, not 45 factorial dollars, but
forty-five, like 4.5 x 10^1???  Really?  That cheap?  Where?  How?  Tell me!

The best I've heard on Maple from Waterloo's own minions is that it'd be in
the hundreds of dollars range.  If there's some way of getting it so cheap...

kopnicky@spotted.rice.edu (Lyle Warren Kopnicky) (04/03/91)

What I want to know is, why do Lotus, Adobe, etc. support the NeXT when it has only 10% the installed base of Amigas?  I though that was their major gripe about supporting Amiga.... or are they afraid they just might have to write some software that actually looks GOOD under a GUI?

- Quantum Seep

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.071144.21694@rice.edu> kopnicky@spotted.rice.edu (Lyle Warren Kopnicky) writes:

   What I want to know is, why do Lotus, Adobe, etc. support the NeXT when it has only 10% the installed base of Amigas?  I though that was their major gripe about supporting Amiga.... or are they afraid they just might have to write some software that actually looks GOOD under a GUI?

Their software looks good under the NeXT GUI :-).

-Mike

vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) (04/04/91)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

> In article <LyaJZ1w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy
> >
> >If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
> >Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
> >interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
> >available....
> >
> 	What do you mean these programs aren't available? MAPLE
> has been available on the Amiga for quite some time and the Amiga
> Unix port is underway.

Some people sent me mail about MAPLE... my applogies for that.

As for UNIX... all I can say is, "That's great!"  But for someone who really
doesn't need UNIX, I can't justify spending $6000 (educational price...
somewhere there anyways) for an A3000UX just to run the UNIX port of Lotus..
not to mention the limited resources I have available to buy Lotus 1-2-3 for
UNIX based machines.

  Victor

PS  I do have to say that from what I've seen so far of Amiga software,
things are starting to turn.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

> In article <LyaJZ1w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy
>    As far as software is concerned, I'd be more willing to buy Amiga software
>    if the overall quality and 'standardness' really starts coming into play.
>    find myself turning to the IBM realm for high quality software, although I
>    do have to admit that there are software packages for the Amiga that reall
>    can't be seen in other computers....
>
> I don't suppose you have considered the NeXT?  Runs PC software in a
> window, runs Unix software, and it runs X windows.  Supported by major
> software companies like Adobe, Lotus, Wingz, Quark, FrameMaker, and
> Word Perfect plus thousands of zealots on the internet :-).
>
>    If Lotus came out with 1-2-3 for the Amiga, I may actually buy it.
>    Mathematica or similar programs (MAPLE) is another type of package I'm
>    interested in... unfortunately, to no avail, these packages aren't
>    available....
>
> Mathematica comes free with the NeXT if you buy it through a
> university.  I imagine the 386 version of Mathematica (only version
> that runs on DOS machines) will cost you a pretty penny.  You just
> missed the free Lotus Improv deal that ended today, but you still get
> the best computer for the money in the industry.
>
> -Mike

Sorry to include the whole deal... but I have to tell you that I considered
the NeXTstation (educational price of coarse) for a while (since I don't
play video games it really doesn't matter which machine I get).

Actually, what's funny is that I got my Amiga about a year ago, less than a
year later, I bought an IBM type machine because of certain weaknesses of
the Amiga.  I've had been in the MS-DOS world for a long while before
getting my Amiga, but I actually found myself using the Amiga more because
of it's sheer power (and smoothness compared to MS-DOS with or without
Windows).

 Victor

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/06/91)

In article <m0jNpfn-0003PHC@reed.edu> kuch@reed.bitnet (Gerald D. Kuch) writes:
>What?  Maple for the Amiga for $45!!!  No, not 45 factorial dollars, but
>forty-five, like 4.5 x 10^1???  Really?  That cheap?  Where?  How?  Tell me!
>
>The best I've heard on Maple from Waterloo's own minions is that it'd be in
>the hundreds of dollars range.  If there's some way of getting it so cheap...

Your school or work place has to have already cut a deal with  U of
Waterloo.  I got Maple with manual for $45 from the local school
office.  Repeat:  NOT everyone will be able to get Maple this cheap---
your school MUST have a site license to the software.  You may want
to check with whatever office handles software distribution on your
local campus.

Loren J. Rittle