[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Anthromorphising

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (04/03/91)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

>Mac has some problems, the image it has created and ...Mac is a male name going
>head to head (competing with) IBM.  A certain sign of a childish identity is
>a competitive attitude toward father figures.  And Mac is trying to sue IBM
>over windows which furthers its image as a child refusing to accept father.

>I think C= should run some adds trying to settle this dispute Mac has with
>IBM to project an image of Amiga the peace maker since peace making is a trait
>strongly associated with an adult female. Amiga the cooperator with IBM who is
>nurturing and soothing to the angry little baby Mac. (Not that I want it settled
>it would just be good PR).  C= should also push its support for the same reason....Amiga the supporter-nurturer(sp?).  A mother fig PC may even be better than
>a father fig one.  It could nurture and support the young ones and cooperate
>with the adult users.

  Was this some kind of early April Fool's joke??

Evan (just back from Spring Break).

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Where can a nation lie when it hides its organic minds in a cellar dark and
grim?  They must be ...  very dim.

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.004444.4556@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>
>>Mac has some problems, the image it has created and ...Mac is a male name going
>>head to head (competing with) IBM.  A certain sign of a childish identity is
>>a competitive attitude toward father figures.  And Mac is trying to sue IBM
>>over windows which furthers its image as a child refusing to accept father.
>
>>I think C= should run some adds trying to settle this dispute Mac has with
>>IBM to project an image of Amiga the peace maker since peace making is a trait
>>strongly associated with an adult female. Amiga the cooperator with IBM who is
>>nurturing and soothing to the angry little baby Mac. (Not that I want it settled
>>it would just be good PR).  C= should also push its support for the same reason....Amiga the supporter-nurturer(sp?).  A mother fig PC may even be better than
>>a father fig one.  It could nurture and support the young ones and cooperate
>>with the adult users.
>

>  Was this some kind of early April Fool's joke??
>
>Evan (just back from Spring Break).
>
>--
>Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
>Where can a nation lie when it hides its organic minds in a cellar dark and
>grim?  They must be ...  very dim.

No, but just go ahead and take it as one.  I knew I was sticking my head out
when I wrote it.

                                      NCW

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (04/09/91)

>nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>Mac has some problems, the image it has created and ...Mac is a male name going
>head to head (competing with) IBM.  A certain sign of a childish identity is
>a competitive attitude toward father figures.  I think C= should run some ads

This is a cute idea.  Even better would be some Macintosh ads with Oedipal
implications.  (The Doors' "The End" would be *just* the music.  "Father?"
"ACK."  "I want to boot you."  "Mother?  I want to..." :-)

	James Jones

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/09/91)

In article <5839@mcrware.UUCP> jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:

>This is a cute idea.  Even better would be some Macintosh ads with Oedipal
>implications.  (The Doors' "The End" would be *just* the music.  "Father?"
>"ACK."  "I want to boot you."  "Mother?  I want to..." :-)
>
>	James Jones

Too blatant.  The secret of subliminal advertizing is that it ensures that
the target's ego defenses remain intact.  Too batant of an oedipal reference
would cause the target to withdraw or become hostile.  All the Macintoys
out there would shy away and hate Amiga forever probably.

                                   NCW