[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga OS *IS* state of the art, but the NeXT is better

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/01/91)

In article <86aJZ2w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) writes:
   Some of the weaknesses you mention are probably a result of the limited
   abilities of the 68000 processor used in 'stock' Amigas... and not the
   operating itself.

    Victor

True, this is why it's nice to use a machine that uses a 15 mip 68040
in its base model.  During the NeXT several years, developers can
assume this where the NeXT is concerned, but they will have to develop
for the A500 when they program on the Amiga.  Of course, most
developers probably aren't going to bother with the Amiga at all.

-Mike

In article <igdG0j+d1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <86aJZ2w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) writes:
>   Some of the weaknesses you mention are probably a result of the limited
>   abilities of the 68000 processor used in 'stock' Amigas... and not the
>   operating itself.

>True, this is why it's nice to use a machine that uses a 15 mip 68040
>in its base model.

That's also why it's not nice to use a machine that uses a 15 MIPS 68040
as its base model (though in truth, the discontinued 68030 NeXT is the base
NeXT model).  Software can set higher goals with a higher base processor,
but it also requires that base processor just to squeak by.  The first
generation 64K/4.77MHz 8088 IBM PC, 128K/7.8MHz 68000 Mac, the 256K/7.16MHz
68000 Amiga 1000, and the 4MB/25MHz 68030 NeXT were each in this category
for what they were trying to achieve, though they were not all in the same
computer class (I see three different ones there myself).

The basic performance of the 68040 generation NeXT, to the average GUI user
at least, is on the order of what 2nd generation Amiga users have been
enjoying for a long time.  While it won't number crunch faster, an A3000 does
nearly everything else faster than a 68040 based NeXT.  And you haven't seen
a 68040 based Amiga yet.

>Of course, most developers probably aren't going to bother with the Amiga at
>all.

Or the NeXT.  MOST developers develop for MS-DOS.  A visable percentage are
developing for MS-Windows as well, and for the Mac.  Standard UNIX, or perhaps
one of the standard UNIXs, is another growing target.  Amiga has lots of
development in a few specific areas.  NeXT has the kind of fringe the Amiga
did in its early days, and some hired guns, which are of course nice, and
something I wish C= had had the startup money to afford.  That is an effective,
if expensive, way to get acceptance for a new system, as long as you can afford
to pay the big companies and scare away the little guys.

>-Mike

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

In article <igdG0j+d1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> True, this is why it's nice to use a machine that uses a 15 mip 68040
> in its base model.  During the NeXT several years, developers can
> assume this where the NeXT is concerned, but they will have to develop
> for the A500 when they program on the Amiga.  Of course, most
> developers probably aren't going to bother with the Amiga at all.

No. Most developers will continue to develop for MS-DOS and Windows. The
NeXT and Amiga are both way back in the race, with the Mac in an intermediate
position (and holding it largely through the clever use of lawyers).

All the arguments about the technical excellence of the NeXT apply equally
well to the technical excellence of the Amiga over the past 5 years. See
how well that's worked...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/03/91)

In article <20267@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

   That's also why it's not nice to use a machine that uses a 15 MIPS 68040
   as its base model (though in truth, the discontinued 68030 NeXT is the base
   NeXT model).  Software can set higher goals with a higher base processor,
   but it also requires that base processor just to squeak by.  The first
   generation 64K/4.77MHz 8088 IBM PC, 128K/7.8MHz 68000 Mac, the 256K/7.16MHz
   68000 Amiga 1000, and the 4MB/25MHz 68030 NeXT were each in this category
   for what they were trying to achieve, though they were not all in the same
   computer class (I see three different ones there myself).

Software is the name of the game.  Make it as easy as possible for
developers to write software on your machine.  So what if the first
generation of software is a bit on the slow side.  Slow software is
better than no software.

   The basic performance of the 68040 generation NeXT, to the average GUI user
   at least, is on the order of what 2nd generation Amiga users have been
   enjoying for a long time.  While it won't number crunch faster, an A3000 does
   nearly everything else faster than a 68040 based NeXT.  And you haven't seen
   a 68040 based Amiga yet.

Commodore just got the 030 Amiga 3000 out the door.  I think it will
be a while before we see an 040 machine from you guys, knowing
Commodore's track record.  I suggest skipping the 040 and going
straight to a RISC processor.  Things are going to heat up with
introduction HP's Snake computers.  NeXT year 15 mips isn't going to
seem all that fast, unless your selling it for $2000.

   Or the NeXT.  MOST developers develop for MS-DOS.  A visable percentage are
   developing for MS-Windows as well, and for the Mac.  Standard UNIX, or perhaps
   one of the standard UNIXs, is another growing target.  Amiga has lots of
   development in a few specific areas.  NeXT has the kind of fringe the Amiga
   did in its early days, and some hired guns, which are of course nice, and
   something I wish C= had had the startup money to afford.  That is an effective,
   if expensive, way to get acceptance for a new system, as long as you can afford
   to pay the big companies and scare away the little guys.

Who has NeXT paid to develop software?  I've heard this before, but no
one is naming names.  Is it just a rumor?  In fact this newgroup is
the only place that I've heard it.  Anyway, NeXT (or Commodore)
doesn't need everyone to develop software for their machine, just a
few good companies(or ones that people recognize :-)) in the necessary
areas like DTP, CAD, accounting, etc.

You would think with over 2 million machines more developers would
support the Amiga.  As of last year, that was half as many as Apple.
That should be enough to make developers look your way.  I think a
Word Perfect 5.0 and a Lotus 123 for the Amiga would sell a lot more
machines.  Commodore can afford to at least pay these guys, if
necessary.

-Mike

In article <1991Apr2.192023.26598@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   No. Most developers will continue to develop for MS-DOS and Windows. The
   NeXT and Amiga are both way back in the race, with the Mac in an intermediate
   position (and holding it largely through the clever use of lawyers).

   All the arguments about the technical excellence of the NeXT apply equally
   well to the technical excellence of the Amiga over the past 5 years. See
   how well that's worked...

I don't care if most developers continue to develop for DOS machines
as long as some good developers write software for the NeXT.  The Mac
is still the best(IMHO) computer for WP and DTP.

The Amiga lost because it was branded a GAME MACHINE, the user
interface didn't/doesn't look as good/professional (Zzzz) as the Macs,
and it used to GURU meditate a little too much.  Lest we forget,
Commodore didn't know how to market the machine either.

-Mike

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (04/03/91)

In article <gi1Gxwqf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr2.192023.26598@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>   No. Most developers will continue to develop for MS-DOS and Windows. The
>   NeXT and Amiga are both way back in the race, with the Mac in an intermediate
>   position (and holding it largely through the clever use of lawyers).
>
>   All the arguments about the technical excellence of the NeXT apply equally
>   well to the technical excellence of the Amiga over the past 5 years. See
>   how well that's worked...
>
>I don't care if most developers continue to develop for DOS machines
>as long as some good developers write software for the NeXT.  The Mac
>is still the best(IMHO) computer for WP and DTP.
>
>The Amiga lost because it was branded a GAME MACHINE, the user
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   When did the Amiga lose? Amiga's are selling better now than they have
ever done before. Let's not forget that the Commodore 64 was also branded
a game machine yet it sold 10 million machines world wide and is still
selling. I predict NeXT's aren't going to achieve much of a market
penetration.  There are low-end Amigas (500), low end Macs(Classic), lo end
IBM's (pc/xt), but there is no low-end NeXT. The cheapest model  is over
$3000 and that's just the educational price.

>interface didn't/doesn't look as good/professional (Zzzz) as the Macs,
>and it used to GURU meditate a little too much.  Lest we forget,
>Commodore didn't know how to market the machine either.

 Regardless of that fact, the Amiga continues to sell without any marketing.
Just think how good it would sell with marketing. The Commodore 64 sold
10 million with hardly any marketing. I guess that says alot about
Commodore's technical excellence and price.

>-Mike

  You need to wake up to the fact that the general populace isn't going
to purchase a NeXT anymore than they'd purchase a Sun or Vax. Sure, it's
cool to develop on the NeXT (objective-c, yuck), but you can't sell
a machine to developers only, developers need consumers to buy what
developers develop. An Amiga or Mac w/040 would kill NeXT in speed
considering the overhead of NeXTStep, Display Postscript, and Unix
compared to that of AmigaDOS or Finder.

  And about Interface builder. The NeXT isn't the only machine that has
interface building programs.They are availible on the Ibm, Mac, and Amiga
as well.

Considering how long the NeXT has been around, and how many units it has
sold, i'd say it's more of a loser than Commodore.

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\
|n|   rjc@albert.ai.mit.edu   Amiga, the computer for the creative mind.  |n|

In article <ibbG+qlf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Commodore just got the 030 Amiga 3000 out the door.  I think it will
>be a while before we see an 040 machine from you guys, knowing
>Commodore's track record.  I suggest skipping the 040 and going
>straight to a RISC processor.  Things are going to heat up with
>introduction HP's Snake computers.  NeXT year 15 mips isn't going to
>seem all that fast, unless your selling it for $2000.

	You sound like someone who doesn't know what he is
talking about and doesn't want to. It is becoming more and more
apparent that you are here simply to cause trouble, not to
express real opinions. Commodore has been shipping a 68030
machine for over a year and a half in the form of the A2500/30.
Commodore seems to have caught up with the industry pretty fast.
The 040 isn't being shipped in machines by anyone except NeXT and
maybe HP. The 040s have been available to developers for SO long
that everyone has their boards done, they are just waiting for
040s to put in them! I'd say you'll see it for the Amiga as soon
as you see it for the Mac.
	And why do you type NeXT when you using it to mean the
word next? And, as to 15 mips not being fast enough, that's why
Motorola does things called R&D which allow them to come out with
new and faster chips! What a concept! There was the 68000, 010,
020, 030, now the 040, and there'll likely be an 050 as well. And
how about a 50MHz 040!

>You would think with over 2 million machines more developers would
>support the Amiga.  As of last year, that was half as many as Apple.
>That should be enough to make developers look your way.  I think a
>Word Perfect 5.0 and a Lotus 123 for the Amiga would sell a lot more
>machines.  Commodore can afford to at least pay these guys, if
>necessary.
>
>-Mike

	The problem with paying these companies is that if they
are being bribed into making for the Amiga and otherwise don't
want to, their committment will be as bad as WordPerfect's is for
the Amiga today. We want companies who WANT to be in the Amiga
market. And, as to that 2 million machine base, as most of those
machines are A500s without much expansion, the 2 million is a
deceptive number.

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr3.033827.1716@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

      When did the Amiga lose? Amiga's are selling better now than they have
   ever done before. Let's not forget that the Commodore 64 was also branded
   a game machine yet it sold 10 million machines world wide and is still
   selling. I predict NeXT's aren't going to achieve much of a market
   penetration.  There are low-end Amigas (500), low end Macs(Classic), lo end
   IBM's (pc/xt), but there is no low-end NeXT. The cheapest model  is over
   $3000 and that's just the educational price.

I used to own a Commodore 64 and 128 so I know all about them.  The
Amiga lost, in my opinion, because is could have done so much better.
They aren't accepted in Fortune 500 companies, you don't find too many
campus computer labs full of Amigas, and major developers still don't
write software for them.  We have one where I work(A2500), but the
people who I work with would rather play with Toolbook -- Damn that
thing is slow.  That's how much respect it gets.

    Regardless of that fact, the Amiga continues to sell without any marketing.
   Just think how good it would sell with marketing. The Commodore 64 sold
   10 million with hardly any marketing. I guess that says alot about
   Commodore's technical excellence and price.

Commodore sold 10 million 64's because they sold them for $200 a
piece.  When an entire Amiga system goes for $500, they will take off
too(IMHO).  Get WP and Lotus on the machine, and I think a lot of
people will them.  Then again, you need a flicker fixer.  People might
go for VGA machines instead.

     You need to wake up to the fact that the general populace isn't going
   to purchase a NeXT anymore than they'd purchase a Sun or Vax. Sure, it's
   cool to develop on the NeXT (objective-c, yuck), but you can't sell
   a machine to developers only, developers need consumers to buy what
   developers develop. An Amiga or Mac w/040 would kill NeXT in speed
   considering the overhead of NeXTStep, Display Postscript, and Unix
   compared to that of AmigaDOS or Finder.

Most people aren't interested in speed, they want functionality.  It's
what you do with the speed that matters.  NeXT gives the consumer
Display Postscript, voice mail, and built in fax capabilities.
The Amiga gives you the best games in the business.

     And about Interface builder. The NeXT isn't the only machine that has
   interface building programs.They are availible on the Ibm, Mac, and Amiga
   as well.

And Motif.  There is a free IB with Interviews for generic X Windows,
but it is only an alpha version.  So, spend a few hundred bucks and
buy the one for your machine.  Do you have your calculator out?

Amiga 3000 + 040 board + C++ + IB + Mathematica + DSP + 92 dpi display =

Should we throw in ethernet?  That costs an extra $500 on a Mac.  And
why the hell is Commodore still using 800K drives in the Amiga?

   Considering how long the NeXT has been around, and how many units it has
   sold, i'd say it's more of a loser than Commodore.

I think NeXT released their first machines in Sept. 88.  Their latest
machines shipped in December.  Your right, the old machines didn't
sell well because they were a bit slow, but they have sold about
20,000 new machines so far.  NeXT hasn't won yet, but they are poised
to make their mark.

-Mike

In article <.$2G0ysf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>I used to own a Commodore 64 and 128 so I know all about them.  The
>Amiga lost, in my opinion, because is could have done so much better.

	So that makes you qualified to discuss the Amiga? If the
Amiga were on the same level as the C=128, I'd give up too! You
make it sound like the game is over and Commodore has stopped
developing for the Amiga. There is still a bright future,
especially now that sales are up and there is more money at
Commodore to do things!

>Then again, you need a flicker fixer.  People might
>go for VGA machines instead.

	The A3000 has one built in and the cost of one is under $250.

>Most people aren't interested in speed, they want functionality.  It's
>what you do with the speed that matters.  NeXT gives the consumer
>Display Postscript, voice mail, and built in fax capabilities.
>The Amiga gives you the best games in the business.

	That's just a cheap shot that lowers your credibility
even more (didn't think it could go negative, did you 8) The
Amiga is the BEST in video work in the micro/workstation
industry. All the major video magazines are moving over towards
HEAVY Amiga coverage. The quality of Amiga software in most
business areas is acceptable although not miraculous. And, BTW,
the Amiga DTP software is also quite good in its own right,
capable of publishing magazines.

>Should we throw in ethernet?  That costs an extra $500 on a Mac.  And
>why the hell is Commodore still using 800K drives in the Amiga?

	I guess that's why Commodore just developed/announced a
HD Amiga disk drive!

>I think NeXT released their first machines in Sept. 88.  Their latest
>machines shipped in December.  Your right, the old machines didn't
>sell well because they were a bit slow, but they have sold about
>20,000 new machines so far.  NeXT hasn't won yet, but they are poised
>to make their mark.

	Not if they've only sold 20,000 new machines! If, after
the initial burst of sales from the new machine launches, they've
only made that many sales, then they can never make a profit (nor
will Lotus or Word Perfect) and they will simply survive until
Steve Jobs runs out of money with which to fund the company.
	And, BTW, they've already made a mark. That doesn't mean
they'll be around in the long term. Commodore, however, will be,
as they are making a clear profit and their sales are growing.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (04/03/91)

In article <.$2G0ysf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.033827.1716@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>      When did the Amiga lose? Amiga's are selling better now than they have
>   ever done before. Let's not forget that the Commodore 64 was also branded
>   a game machine yet it sold 10 million machines world wide and is still
>   selling. I predict NeXT's aren't going to achieve much of a market
>   penetration.  There are low-end Amigas (500), low end Macs(Classic), lo end
>   IBM's (pc/xt), but there is no low-end NeXT. The cheapest model  is over
>   $3000 and that's just the educational price.
>
>I used to own a Commodore 64 and 128 so I know all about them.  The
>Amiga lost, in my opinion, because is could have done so much better.
>They aren't accepted in Fortune 500 companies, you don't find too many
>campus computer labs full of Amigas, and major developers still don't
>write software for them.  We have one where I work(A2500), but the
>people who I work with would rather play with Toolbook -- Damn that
>thing is slow.  That's how much respect it gets.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Note this.
>    Regardless of that fact, the Amiga continues to sell without any marketing.
>   Just think how good it would sell with marketing. The Commodore 64 sold
>   10 million with hardly any marketing. I guess that says alot about
>   Commodore's technical excellence and price.
>
>Commodore sold 10 million 64's because they sold them for $200 a
>piece.  When an entire Amiga system goes for $500, they will take off
>too(IMHO).  Get WP and Lotus on the machine, and I think a lot of
>people will them.  Then again, you need a flicker fixer.  People might
>go for VGA machines instead.
>
>     You need to wake up to the fact that the general populace isn't going
>   to purchase a NeXT anymore than they'd purchase a Sun or Vax. Sure, it's
>   cool to develop on the NeXT (objective-c, yuck), but you can't sell
>   a machine to developers only, developers need consumers to buy what
>   developers develop. An Amiga or Mac w/040 would kill NeXT in speed
>   considering the overhead of NeXTStep, Display Postscript, and Unix
>   compared to that of AmigaDOS or Finder.
>
>Most people aren't interested in speed, they want functionality.  It's
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Note this.
>what you do with the speed that matters.  NeXT gives the consumer
>Display Postscript, voice mail, and built in fax capabilities.
How can you send fax without a modem or ethernet? Sure NeXT has
an ethernet port, buthow many people can afford an Internet connection?
Voice-Mail from one NeXT to Another in the same computer lab is about
as useful as making a telephone call from your bedroom to your basement.

>The Amiga gives you the best games in the business.
>
>     And about Interface builder. The NeXT isn't the only machine that has
>   interface building programs.They are availible on the Ibm, Mac, and Amiga
>   as well.
>
>And Motif.  There is a free IB with Interviews for generic X Windows,
>but it is only an alpha version.  So, spend a few hundred bucks and
>buy the one for your machine.  Do you have your calculator out?
 PowerWindows on the Amiga costs about $30. MenuC costs nothing.
Amiga interface builders generate in LOTS of languages not just Obj-C.
PowerWindows generates Forth, Basic, Modula, Assembler, C, and other
languages.

>Amiga 3000 + 040 board + C++ + IB + Mathematica + DSP + 92 dpi display =
 $2600      + $800      +Free +Free/$30+Maple ?+Don't need DSP+A2024($499)=
$3800 bucks for a Machine that's muchmore usuable than a NeXT.
I'll take G++ over objective C anyday.

>Should we throw in ethernet?  That costs an extra $500 on a Mac.  And
>why the hell is Commodore still using 800K drives in the Amiga?
 Commodore puts 1.76mb drives in new Amiga's now.

>   Considering how long the NeXT has been around, and how many units it has
>   sold, i'd say it's more of a loser than Commodore.
>
>I think NeXT released their first machines in Sept. 88.  Their latest
>machines shipped in December.  Your right, the old machines didn't
>sell well because they were a bit slow, but they have sold about
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I thought you speed wasn't important? First you say your Amiga2500 was
slow (an 030 running AmigaDOS slow? Doubtful), then you say speed
isn't important, now your saying NeXT machines (030) didn't sell
because they were slow? Which is it?

>20,000 new machines so far.  NeXT hasn't won yet, but they are poised
>to make their mark.

 How? NeXT's in business/home use? Not bloody likely. You say
Amiga's are game machines? Oh well, this fact alone guarantees that
C= will be around alot longer than NeXT. the C64 market hasn't even
died down yet. Commodore sold a few hundred thousand C64's last year
which is more than the total number of NeXT's world wide.
The C64 may have been a game machine, but a large number of people
still used it to do work. I used it to do all my word processing.
Many people I know ran BBSs on them, programmed, published, and played
games. I can still run more software on my C64 than you could ever hope to
run on your NeXT.

NeXT isn't going anywhere. There will be 040's out for Amigas and Macs
this year.

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\

In article <1991Apr3.051014.5474@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

   How can you send fax without a modem or ethernet? Sure NeXT has
   an ethernet port, buthow many people can afford an Internet connection?
   Voice-Mail from one NeXT to Another in the same computer lab is about
   as useful as making a telephone call from your bedroom to your basement.

It works great acrossed campus.  I'm not sure how many Fortune 500
companies are using ethernet?  Voice mail will work through a modem.
It's just a compress'ed tar file.  And I guess you'd have to buy a fax
machine to send faxes.  Fax machines are pretty common, ya know.

   I thought you speed wasn't important? First you say your Amiga2500 was
   slow (an 030 running AmigaDOS slow? Doubtful), then you say speed
   isn't important, now your saying NeXT machines (030) didn't sell
   because they were slow? Which is it?

It was refering to Toolbook, not the A2500.  Reread my posting.  My
point was Toolbook is incredibly slow, and the people where I work
would rather spend their time developing in it then the Amiga which
looks a helluva lot more impressive.  No one uses the loaner A2500.
It will leave here untouch except for a few demos.  Damn shame.

    How? NeXT's in business/home use? Not bloody likely. You say
   Amiga's are game machines? Oh well, this fact alone guarantees that
   C= will be around alot longer than NeXT. the C64 market hasn't even
   died down yet. Commodore sold a few hundred thousand C64's last year
   which is more than the total number of NeXT's world wide.
   The C64 may have been a game machine, but a large number of people
   still used it to do work. I used it to do all my word processing.
   Many people I know ran BBSs on them, programmed, published, and played
   games. I can still run more software on my C64 than you could ever hope to
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   run on your NeXT.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How old are you?  So what?  It's what runs on your machine, not how
much software is available.  Come on, think about this.  By the way,
if you run acrossed any software that says "Cracked courtesy of the
Condor", that was me.

I'll let you figure out why Commodore sold more C64's than NeXT sold
NeXT computers.

   NeXT isn't going anywhere. There will be 040's out for Amigas and Macs
   this year.

Great statement.  The big question is: "How much will they cost?"

-Mike

In article <1991Apr3.045757.24803@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

   >I used to own a Commodore 64 and 128 so I know all about them.  The
   >Amiga lost, in my opinion, because is could have done so much better.

	   So that makes you qualified to discuss the Amiga? If the
   Amiga were on the same level as the C=128, I'd give up too! You
   make it sound like the game is over and Commodore has stopped
   developing for the Amiga. There is still a bright future,
   especially now that sales are up and there is more money at
   Commodore to do things!

Right, Commodore does have a niche market.  All I was saying is that
they could of had a lot more.

   >Then again, you need a flicker fixer.  People might
   >go for VGA machines instead.

	   The A3000 has one built in and the cost of one is under $250.

I know the A3000 has one built in, but that isn't Commodore's $1000
machine.  People don't want to screw around with a flicker fixer, they
want to pull the computer out of the box and start typing.  Besides,
when they are shopping for a computer, the flicker fixer isn't going
to be installed.  Commodore already has a two marks against them:
Apple and IBM.  People are going to look at the screens, and they are
either going to like what they see or they're not.  The people in my
office were definitely turned off by the flicker.  I suppose the
salesman at the store could always explain it to the consumer(think
about why this isn't good -- extra points).

	   That's just a cheap shot that lowers your credibility
   even more (didn't think it could go negative, did you 8) The
   Amiga is the BEST in video work in the micro/workstation
   industry. All the major video magazines are moving over towards
   HEAVY Amiga coverage. The quality of Amiga software in most
   business areas is acceptable although not miraculous. And, BTW,
   the Amiga DTP software is also quite good in its own right,
   capable of publishing magazines.

Isn't a Toaster being made for the Mac?  And don't forget to watch out
for the NeXTDimension board from NeXT.

People aren't going to buy an Amiga(or NeXT) just because it has
acceptable software, if they can get a Mac that does the same thing
better.  Very competitive software is needed!

   >Should we throw in ethernet?  That costs an extra $500 on a Mac.  And
   >why the hell is Commodore still using 800K drives in the Amiga?

	   I guess that's why Commodore just developed/announced a
   HD Amiga disk drive!

Good to hear?  I hope it reads/write DOS diskettes.  What's their
capacity?  Why didn't they just use the 2.88MB floppies like NeXT did,
or the 1.44MB drives that have been around for a couple of years?

	   Not if they've only sold 20,000 new machines! If, after
   the initial burst of sales from the new machine launches, they've
   only made that many sales, then they can never make a profit (nor
   will Lotus or Word Perfect) and they will simply survive until
   Steve Jobs runs out of money with which to fund the company.

Of course!

	   And, BTW, they've already made a mark. That doesn't mean
   they'll be around in the long term. Commodore, however, will be,
   as they are making a clear profit and their sales are growing.

And that doesn't mean that Commodore will be around either.  They did
go through some bad years a while back.

-Mike

In article <u76Ge_wf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>It was refering to Toolbook, not the A2500.  Reread my posting.  My
>point was Toolbook is incredibly slow, and the people where I work
>would rather spend their time developing in it then the Amiga which
>looks a helluva lot more impressive.  No one uses the loaner A2500.
>It will leave here untouch except for a few demos.  Damn shame.

	Well, what does your company do, what software do you
have on the Amiga, and what are they expected to do with the
machine? It doesn't make much sense to show an Amiga to people
who are interested in doing SQL Database work, for example.

>   NeXT isn't going anywhere. There will be 040's out for Amigas and Macs
>   this year.
>
>Great statement.  The big question is: "How much will they cost?"

	For the A3000 it should be significantly under $1,000
from the figures I've heard. And, before you start quoting
prices, just because Steve Jobs doesn't care about making a
profit doesn't mean that Commodore can afford to.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr3.040256.27402@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   You sound like someone who doesn't know what he is
   talking about and doesn't want to. It is becoming more and more
   apparent that you are here simply to cause trouble, not to
   express real opinions. Commodore has been shipping a 68030
   machine for over a year and a half in the form of the A2500/30.

Forgot about that?  I wonder if that is what we have over in the
corner?

   Commodore seems to have caught up with the industry pretty fast.
   The 040 isn't being shipped in machines by anyone except NeXT and
   maybe HP. The 040s have been available to developers for SO long
   that everyone has their boards done, they are just waiting for
   040s to put in them! I'd say you'll see it for the Amiga as soon
   as you see it for the Mac.

You can buy an 040 Mac board for $3500 from Raduis.  In case you don't
know, the NeXT costs $4995 retail.  The 17" monitor, DSP, software,
105MB hard drive, 8MB RAM, 2.88MB floppy, and the software.  If you go
to a university that sells NeXTs, you can buy everything for around
$3250.  Yes, that's less than the Mac upgrade.

	   And why do you type NeXT when you using it to mean the
   word next? And, as to 15 mips not being fast enough, that's why
   Motorola does things called R&D which allow them to come out with
   new and faster chips! What a concept! There was the 68000, 010,
   020, 030, now the 040, and there'll likely be an 050 as well. And
   how about a 50MHz 040!

We're all waiting for the 50MHz 040.  Intel is releasing the 50MHz 486
soon.  I wouldn't hold my breath until the 050 is released.  RISC
machines are about to stomp all over CISC machines.  Take the 57 mip
HP Snake for $12,000 as an example.  Any company that is waiting for
the 050 is going to go out of business.

-Mike

kopnicky@spotted.rice.edu (Lyle Warren Kopnicky) (04/03/91)

My roommate has a Mac, and it sure crashes a lot more than my Amiga, and it doesn't give you an error number like the Amiga when it GURUs, it just locks up or reboots itself.  Plus, I've never seen more people get viruses than Mac people.  True, the Mac's windowing interface was more powerful, but not now that the Amiga has 2.0.  And at least on the Amiga the color icons don't look like colorized line art.  Also, the hard drives built into Macs crash easily.  Quantums never do.

- Quantum (!) Seep

kopnicky@spotted.rice.edu (Lyle Warren Kopnicky) (04/03/91)

I was just wondering about your comment that Commodore is shipping 1.76MB drives with the new Amigas.  Is this de facto or soon in the future?  Are these really 1.76MB or 1.52MB as are the Applied Engineering drives, and will this cause problems for those who own AE drives?  Also, do the drives have electronic eject buttons?  If you or someone else could answer these questions, it would be appreciated.

- Quantum Seep

P.S. If the drives are being shipped, then in which models?

In article <zs6G8pxf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.045757.24803@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>

>   >Then again, you need a flicker fixer.  People might
>   >go for VGA machines instead.
>   >
>	   The A3000 has one built in and the cost of one is under $250.
>
>I know the A3000 has one built in, but that isn't Commodore's $1000
>machine.  People don't want to screw around with a flicker fixer, they
>want to pull the computer out of the box and start typing.  Besides,

	Wait, wait, wait. Aren't you saying that the NeXT is the
great machine? They don't even HAVE a model for the $1,000 area.
The flicker-fixer can be added to an A2000, i.e. anything but an
A500, and there is an adaptor for A500s made by third-parties (I
believe ICD?). And, as to it not being in the machine, if you
have a competent dealer they will install it for you.

>Isn't a Toaster being made for the Mac?  And don't forget to watch out
>for the NeXTDimension board from NeXT.

(I hate to this, but it is well deserved)

BZZZZZT    Wrong answer! But thank you for playing!
	NewTek is definitely not making a Toaster for the Mac.
While there are Apple companies who claim to be making similar
devices, that is to be expected. I have seen no price estimates,
and of course there is no hardware to SEE on the mac, just
advertisements. Lots of vapor.

>People aren't going to buy an Amiga(or NeXT) just because it has
>acceptable software, if they can get a Mac that does the same thing
>better.  Very competitive software is needed!

	That's why the Amiga has the best character generation
software and the best 3-D modeling software of anything in its
price range. Yes, a niche market, but that is how Apple started,
not so?

>Good to hear?  I hope it reads/write DOS diskettes.  What's their
>capacity?  Why didn't they just use the 2.88MB floppies like NeXT did,
>or the 1.44MB drives that have been around for a couple of years?

	The problem is that the standard Amiga disk-drive port
uses the Agnus for decoding the info. In order to get
high-density from Applied Engineering, they had the drive run at
half speed. I don't know what Commodore did. Not all Amiga's have
a SCSI port. The capacity is 1.76MB. And I'm sure that programs
like CrossDOS will be made to support them.

>	   Not if they've only sold 20,000 new machines! If, after
>   the initial burst of sales from the new machine launches, they've
>   only made that many sales, then they can never make a profit (nor
>   will Lotus or Word Perfect) and they will simply survive until
>   Steve Jobs runs out of money with which to fund the company.
>
>Of course!
>
>	   And, BTW, they've already made a mark. That doesn't mean
>   they'll be around in the long term. Commodore, however, will be,
>   as they are making a clear profit and their sales are growing.
>
>And that doesn't mean that Commodore will be around either.  They did
>go through some bad years a while back.

	Yes, but there were never really any good years for the
Amiga at that point. Now it has made its mark. Obviously the
Amiga won't last forever, but Commodore can be considered a sure
thing for the next 5-10 years, at least if stock-market analysts
are to be believed. They've rated Commodore a 'strong-buy' and
have said that it is a company to watch for in the 90s.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <f-6G-*xf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.040256.27402@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>You can buy an 040 Mac board for $3500 from Raduis.  In case you don't

	Is it shipping, or just advertised? There have been
advertisements for Amiga 040 accelerators in AmigaWorld for a
heck of a lot less than $3,500, and for machines that are already
32 bit, i.e. the A3000, the cost should be appr. $700
street-price.

>know, the NeXT costs $4995 retail.  The 17" monitor, DSP, software,
>105MB hard drive, 8MB RAM, 2.88MB floppy, and the software.  If you go
>to a university that sells NeXTs, you can buy everything for around
>$3250.  Yes, that's less than the Mac upgrade.

	Yes, you've mentioned that before. 8)

>We're all waiting for the 50MHz 040.  Intel is releasing the 50MHz 486
>soon.  I wouldn't hold my breath until the 050 is released.  RISC
>machines are about to stomp all over CISC machines.  Take the 57 mip
>HP Snake for $12,000 as an example.  Any company that is waiting for
>the 050 is going to go out of business.

	No one is waiting for the 050, but Motorola has made a
clear committment to their 680x0 line. If the current 040 is 15
mips then the 50MHz will be 30. And as top RISC machines stomping
CISC machines, YOU CAN'T COMPARE MIPS BETWEEN RISC AND CISC
CHIPS. The instructions on the RISC chip do less BY DEFINITION.
There are lies, damned lies, and benchmarks. The world is hardly
being run over by RISC chips, although they are becoming the
in-thing in workstations.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (04/03/91)

In article <u76Ge_wf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.051014.5474@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>   How can you send fax without a modem or ethernet? Sure NeXT has
>   an ethernet port, buthow many people can afford an Internet connection?
>   Voice-Mail from one NeXT to Another in the same computer lab is about
>   as useful as making a telephone call from your bedroom to your basement.
>
>It works great acrossed campus.  I'm not sure how many Fortune 500
>companies are using ethernet?  Voice mail will work through a modem.
>It's just a compress'ed tar file.  And I guess you'd have to buy a fax
>machine to send faxes.  Fax machines are pretty common, ya know.
                          ^^^^^^^^^What does this have to do with NeXT?
You can get send fax for Amiga, Mac, IBM, etc.

  To tell ya the truth, I'd rather use the telephone. I can't fancy
uploading a multimegabyte sound file just to leave a few seconds of a message
that I could have sent in ASCII, or used the telephone. (especially
if the personal recieving it has a voice-mailbox system)

>   I thought you speed wasn't important? First you say your Amiga2500 was
>   slow (an 030 running AmigaDOS slow? Doubtful), then you say speed
>   isn't important, now your saying NeXT machines (030) didn't sell
>   because they were slow? Which is it?
>
>It was refering to Toolbook, not the A2500.  Reread my posting.  My
>point was Toolbook is incredibly slow, and the people where I work
>would rather spend their time developing in it then the Amiga which
>looks a helluva lot more impressive.  No one uses the loaner A2500.
>It will leave here untouch except for a few demos.  Damn shame.
  Too bad, your fellow employee's loss. You'd make more money
developign AMiga software than you would doing NeXT software.

>    How? NeXT's in business/home use? Not bloody likely. You say
>   Amiga's are game machines? Oh well, this fact alone guarantees that
>   C= will be around alot longer than NeXT. the C64 market hasn't even
>   died down yet. Commodore sold a few hundred thousand C64's last year
>   which is more than the total number of NeXT's world wide.
>   The C64 may have been a game machine, but a large number of people
>   still used it to do work. I used it to do all my word processing.
>   Many people I know ran BBSs on them, programmed, published, and played
>   games. I can still run more software on my C64 than you could ever hope to
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   run on your NeXT.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>How old are you?  So what?  It's what runs on your machine, not how
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What does this have to do with it. I've owned Commodore products since 1982.
I'm keeping it around for the memories.

>much software is available.  Come on, think about this.  By the way,
>if you run acrossed any software that says "Cracked courtesy of the
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  You sure do know how to increase your credibility on the net, don't you.
Sorry, I never heard of you. You weren't in Eagle Soft, ATC, NEC, UCF, or TA
which were the major American crack groups. The only Condor I even
remotely recall was from a group called 'TSC-The Supreme Council' However,
I knew the head of that group personally (He's serving in the persian gulf
right now.) so I would know you. I'm not going to reveal my handle
since that era of my life is past me, but I was in FBR,Public Enemy, and
Conquest, not to mention a few other groups. I never cracked games myself, I
programmed the flashy intros/demos for the game loaders. (I also released
a few programs to patch games and install cheat modes.) This is all
very interesting and brings back memories, but it has nothing to do
your arguement.

>Condor", that was me.
>
>I'll let you figure out why Commodore sold more C64's than NeXT sold
>NeXT computers.

   My Commodore 64 system cost approx the same as an Amiga500 does.
(C64=$200, 1541=$200, Monitor=$150, printer=$150) My Commodore128
system costed $299 when it first came out, the 1571 disk drive was
over $200.  Sure Commie 8bit systems were cheap, but not much cheaper
than an a500. Especially when the C64 first hit the market. Why don't you
figure out why people buy $7000 Mac II systems and not NeXT's?

>   NeXT isn't going anywhere. There will be 040's out for Amigas and Macs
>   this year.
>
>Great statement.  The big question is: "How much will they cost?"
  Well, GVP and Supra (small companies) have quoted prices at $895 list.
The Commodore card will probably be cheaper since Commodore can buy
040's and RAM in muchbigger quantities.

  NeXT owner's act like the no other computer will have an 040 at the same
price. I remember NeXT users saying 040 Ami boards would cost $2000.
The sad fact is, the headstart that the NeXT had with the 040 isn't going to
help. 040's will be availible for the Amiga and Mac this year.

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\
|n|   rjc@albert.ai.mit.edu   Amiga, the computer for the creative mind.  |n|
|~|                                .-. .-.                                |~|
|_|________________________________| |_| |________________________________|_|

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (04/03/91)

In article <zs6G8pxf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.045757.24803@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>   >Then again, you need a flicker fixer.  People might
>   >go for VGA machines instead.
>   >
>	   The A3000 has one built in and the cost of one is under $250.
>
>I know the A3000 has one built in, but that isn't Commodore's $1000
>machine.  People don't want to screw around with a flicker fixer, they
>want to pull the computer out of the box and start typing.  Besides,
>when they are shopping for a computer, the flicker fixer isn't going
>to be installed.  Commodore already has a two marks against them:
>Apple and IBM.  People are going to look at the screens, and they are
>either going to like what they see or they're not.  The people in my
>office were definitely turned off by the flicker.  I suppose the
>salesman at the store could always explain it to the consumer(think
>about why this isn't good -- extra points).

  The same flicker fixer in the A3000 is availible on a card called the
A2320. It is very cheap($250 and below). Also, Commodore's new
custom chip chip has flickerfree modes. You can also purchase a $499
A2024 monitor that gives you 1024x800 NTSC or 1024x1024 PAL.

>	   That's just a cheap shot that lowers your credibility
>   even more (didn't think it could go negative, did you 8) The
>   Amiga is the BEST in video work in the micro/workstation
>   industry. All the major video magazines are moving over towards
>   HEAVY Amiga coverage. The quality of Amiga software in most
>   business areas is acceptable although not miraculous. And, BTW,
>   the Amiga DTP software is also quite good in its own right,
>   capable of publishing magazines.
>
>Isn't a Toaster being made for the Mac?  And don't forget to watch out
>for the NeXTDimension board from NeXT.
      No the Toaster is not being made for the Mac, you have to buy an
Amiga+Toaster+Parallel/Serial connection to use it. NeXTDimension is
way to expensive considering the other boards availible now adays.
It won't give you the same NTSC Video ability that the toaster does either.

>People aren't going to buy an Amiga(or NeXT) just because it has
>acceptable software, if they can get a Mac that does the same thing
>better.  Very competitive software is needed!

  People buy Amigas. For Video, Audio and Games. What Niche does the
NeXT occuply?

>   >Should we throw in ethernet?  That costs an extra $500 on a Mac.  And
>   >why the hell is Commodore still using 800K drives in the Amiga?
>   >
>	   I guess that's why Commodore just developed/announced a
>   HD Amiga disk drive!
>
>Good to hear?  I hope it reads/write DOS diskettes.  What's their
>capacity?  Why didn't they just use the 2.88MB floppies like NeXT did,
>or the 1.44MB drives that have been around for a couple of years?

  It's 1.76mb. (880k * 2). It's getting to the point that incremental increases
in floppy drives are giving diminishing returns. Screw 2.88mb, give me
a 20/40mb floptical drive.

>	   Not if they've only sold 20,000 new machines! If, after
>   the initial burst of sales from the new machine launches, they've
>   only made that many sales, then they can never make a profit (nor
>   will Lotus or Word Perfect) and they will simply survive until
>   Steve Jobs runs out of money with which to fund the company.
>
>Of course!
>
>	   And, BTW, they've already made a mark. That doesn't mean
>   they'll be around in the long term. Commodore, however, will be,
>   as they are making a clear profit and their sales are growing.
>
>And that doesn't mean that Commodore will be around either.  They did
>go through some bad years a while back.

  Commodore has been around since the early 80's/late 70's. I even remember
an old Commodore 'brick' calculator they sold. They had bad years, but
they pulled through to produce the most sucessfl home computer ever created.
(C64). Now they produce one of the best multitasking PC's money can buy.
NeXT's are ok, but the RISC workstations are just so much better
in terms of performance.

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\

In article <1991Apr3.070829.31178@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   Well, what does your company do, what software do you
   have on the Amiga, and what are they expected to do with the
   machine? It doesn't make much sense to show an Amiga to people
   who are interested in doing SQL Database work, for example.

I am a student who works part time for Penn State as a programmer.  We
develop educational software.  We have Amiga Vision, and ...I'm not
sure what else.

	   For the A3000 it should be significantly under $1,000
   from the figures I've heard. And, before you start quoting
   prices, just because Steve Jobs doesn't care about making a
   profit doesn't mean that Commodore can afford to.

The Mac upgrade from Radius costs $3500 as I posted earlier.  Sun
sells their IPC(one of them) for $4995, the same as the NeXT.  They
also offer an educational discount similar to NeXT's.  I assume Sun is
making money.  NeXT's is probably making money on their low-end
machines.

-Mike

In article <1991Apr3.082443.12888@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

   >It works great acrossed campus.  I'm not sure how many Fortune 500
   >companies are using ethernet?  Voice mail will work through a modem.
   >It's just a compress'ed tar file.  And I guess you'd have to buy a fax
   >machine to send faxes.  Fax machines are pretty common, ya know.
			     ^^^^^^^^^What does this have to do with NeXT?

   You can get send fax for Amiga, Mac, IBM, etc.

Faxing is an option from the print menu.  You can use it from ANY
application.  Just click the fax button instead of the print button.

   >It was refering to Toolbook, not the A2500.  Reread my posting.  My
   >point was Toolbook is incredibly slow, and the people where I work
   >would rather spend their time developing in it then the Amiga which
   >looks a helluva lot more impressive.  No one uses the loaner A2500.
   >It will leave here untouch except for a few demos.  Damn shame.
     Too bad, your fellow employee's loss. You'd make more money
   developign AMiga software than you would doing NeXT software.

Actually, we develop mostly Mac and IBM software.  We have only one
NeXT project.

     You sure do know how to increase your credibility on the net, don't you.
   Sorry, I never heard of you. You weren't in Eagle Soft, ATC, NEC, UCF, or TA
   which were the major American crack groups. The only Condor I even
   remotely recall was from a group called 'TSC-The Supreme Council' However,
   I knew the head of that group personally (He's serving in the persian gulf
   right now.) so I would know you. I'm not going to reveal my handle
   since that era of my life is past me, but I was in FBR,Public Enemy, and
   Conquest, not to mention a few other groups. I never cracked games myself, I
   programmed the flashy intros/demos for the game loaders. (I also released
   a few programs to patch games and install cheat modes.) This is all
   very interesting and brings back memories, but it has nothing to do
   your arguement.

Just reminiscing back to when I used to stay up all night playing with
my C64.  I wasn't a major pirate, just a kid who liked to poke around
with the C64 :-).

      My Commodore 64 system cost approx the same as an Amiga500 does.
   (C64=$200, 1541=$200, Monitor=$150, printer=$150) My Commodore128
   system costed $299 when it first came out, the 1571 disk drive was
   over $200.  Sure Commie 8bit systems were cheap, but not much cheaper
   than an a500. Especially when the C64 first hit the market. Why don't you
   figure out why people buy $7000 Mac II systems and not NeXT's?

Software and Apple's reputation.  Also, people are still afraid of
computers.  They frequently buy what their friends have.

   >Great statement.  The big question is: "How much will they cost?"
     Well, GVP and Supra (small companies) have quoted prices at $895 list.
   The Commodore card will probably be cheaper since Commodore can buy
   040's and RAM in muchbigger quantities.

I think the 040 itself normally costs around $700.  If you're right, a
lot of Mac users will be jumping ship.

     NeXT owner's act like the no other computer will have an 040 at the same
   price. I remember NeXT users saying 040 Ami boards would cost $2000.
   The sad fact is, the headstart that the NeXT had with the 040 isn't going to
   help. 040's will be availible for the Amiga and Mac this year.

I'm sure that other companies will sell you an 040 machine for the
same price as NeXT, but will they do it in 1991?

Keep in mind that the NeXT is more than an 040.  The Amiga still
doesn't have virtual memory(even Macs have this) or memory protection.
The Amiga is a nice machine, but the market is heating up and
consumers educated enough to know the better machine by looking at
spec. sheet.

In article <g_7G$f.f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>The Mac upgrade from Radius costs $3500 as I posted earlier.  Sun
>sells their IPC(one of them) for $4995, the same as the NeXT.  They
>also offer an educational discount similar to NeXT's.  I assume Sun is
>making money.  NeXT's is probably making money on their low-end
>machines.
>
>-Mike

  The Mac has nothing to do with Amiga. The Mac architecture makes
adding an 040 expensive, abut Mac users are used to paying high prices
like the $7000 030 Mac IIfx.  The Amiga 3000's CPU slot was DESIGNED
with the 040 in mind. Just ask the designer, Dave Haynie, he's in this
news group. An 040 card for the Amiga 2000 would be more expensive
(>$2000) because the 32bit ram and HD controller had tobe put on the card.
Difference: The Mac and A500/2000 are 16bit, the A3000 is 32bit.
Comprehend?

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\

In article <1991Apr3.083845.13479@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

	 No the Toaster is not being made for the Mac, you have to buy an
   Amiga+Toaster+Parallel/Serial connection to use it. NeXTDimension is
   way to expensive considering the other boards availible now adays.
   It won't give you the same NTSC Video ability that the toaster does either.

If the Toaster only worked in the A3000...  NeXTDimension will have
NTSC output.  I would think that it is comparable the the Toaster.  It
should be, it costs $4000.

     People buy Amigas. For Video, Audio and Games. What Niche does the
   NeXT occuply?

None at the moment, which could be a problem.  I think it has a chance
of taking a piece of the DTP market and, with the NeXTDimension board,
part of the video market.

     Commodore has been around since the early 80's/late 70's. I even remember
   an old Commodore 'brick' calculator they sold. They had bad years, but
   they pulled through to produce the most sucessfl home computer ever created.
   (C64). Now they produce one of the best multitasking PC's money can buy.
   NeXT's are ok, but the RISC workstations are just so much better
   in terms of performance.

It's price/performance, and the NeXT is still competitive.  It's a 15
mip, 2.5 MFLOP machine for $5000($3250 educational) plus..., well you
know what else you get.

-Mike

In article <1991Apr3.075643.4472@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   No one is waiting for the 050, but Motorola has made a
   clear committment to their 680x0 line. If the current 040 is 15
   mips then the 50MHz will be 30. And as top RISC machines stomping
   CISC machines, YOU CAN'T COMPARE MIPS BETWEEN RISC AND CISC
   CHIPS. The instructions on the RISC chip do less BY DEFINITION.
   There are lies, damned lies, and benchmarks. The world is hardly
   being run over by RISC chips, although they are becoming the
   in-thing in workstations.

That is why we use SPECmarks to compare computers instead of mips.
Look at HP's Snake line, or any other workstation vendor, to see where
the industry is going.

In article <*68Gc&.f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>   >Great statement.  The big question is: "How much will they cost?"
>     Well, GVP and Supra (small companies) have quoted prices at $895 list.
>   The Commodore card will probably be cheaper since Commodore can buy
>   040's and RAM in muchbigger quantities.
>
>I think the 040 itself normally costs around $700.  If you're right, a
>lot of Mac users will be jumping ship.

 Data Point: It is harder to add an 040 to a Mac than it is to an A3000. And
and damn near impossible to upgrade the NeXTStation since it has NO SLOTS.
Another point: Mac harder/softwaree is historically more expensive than
Amiga hardware.

>     NeXT owner's act like the no other computer will have an 040 at the same
>   price. I remember NeXT users saying 040 Ami boards would cost $2000.
>   The sad fact is, the headstart that the NeXT had with the 040 isn't going to
>   help. 040's will be availible for the Amiga and Mac this year.
>
>I'm sure that other companies will sell you an 040 machine for the
>same price as NeXT, but will they do it in 1991?
  Sure. Because other machines are expandible. Keep in mind, lots of
companies have already announced and developed 040 boards/computers. They
are merely waiting for Motorola to ship the chips.

>Keep in mind that the NeXT is more than an 040.  The Amiga still
>doesn't have virtual memory(even Macs have this) or memory protection.
>The Amiga is a nice machine, but the market is heating up and
>consumers educated enough to know the better machine by looking at
>spec. sheet.

 The Amiga has virtual memory/mmu protection if you purchase Unix for it
which IS availible. AT&T Sys V R4 with X windows and openlook.
S5R4 Unix incorperates everything BSD has and adds much more. There is
lots more software availible for X than there is for NeXTSTEP.

 The Mac doesn't have VM unless you count unreleased System 7. There is
another product called virtual that doesn't use an MMU but the only reason
this hack works is because Macs reference memory by double
dereferencing pointers. (They call it 'handles')

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\

In article <1991Apr3.075121.18084@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   Wait, wait, wait. Aren't you saying that the NeXT is the
   great machine? They don't even HAVE a model for the $1,000 area.
   The flicker-fixer can be added to an A2000, i.e. anything but an
   A500, and there is an adaptor for A500s made by third-parties (I
   believe ICD?). And, as to it not being in the machine, if you
   have a competent dealer they will install it for you.

I'm looking at the complete market.  The A500 doesn't compete with the
NeXT, it competes with cheap PC compatibles and the low-end Macs --
and Ataris.  I was simply making an observation on how I thought the
A500 could be improved so that people wouldn't look at a cheap PC
clone with a VGA monitor then at the flickering Amiga monitor and
decide to buy the PC.  The average consumer isn't going to ask for
flicker fixer!

   >Isn't a Toaster being made for the Mac?  And don't forget to watch out
   >for the NeXTDimension board from NeXT.

   (I hate to this, but it is well deserved)

BZZZZT, wrong.  I didn't make an inaccurate statement, I asked a
question.  However, you get BZZZZT for you lack of knowledge in your
other posting about RISC vs. CISC.  Do you think pc's outperform
workstations?

   BZZZZZT    Wrong answer! But thank you for playing!
	   NewTek is definitely not making a Toaster for the Mac.
   While there are Apple companies who claim to be making similar
   devices, that is to be expected. I have seen no price estimates,
   and of course there is no hardware to SEE on the mac, just
   advertisements. Lots of vapor.

	   That's why the Amiga has the best character generation
   software and the best 3-D modeling software of anything in its
   price range. Yes, a niche market, but that is how Apple started,
   not so?

Why is it better?  I'm not that familiar with the Amiga character
generation software.  How is it better than Display Postscript?

	   Yes, but there were never really any good years for the
   Amiga at that point. Now it has made its mark. Obviously the
   Amiga won't last forever, but Commodore can be considered a sure
   thing for the next 5-10 years, at least if stock-market analysts
   are to be believed. They've rated Commodore a 'strong-buy' and
   have said that it is a company to watch for in the 90s.

Technology is changing too fast to say that a company is going to be a
strong buy throughtout the next decade.  With the introduction of HP's
Snake machines, all bets are off.  What's going to happen when
Microsoft, Compaq, and MIPS tell IBM this is how it's going to be?

On another thread, how much raw CPU does it take a computer to make up
for the advantage the Amiga has with its blitter?  Does the blitter
effectively run at 14MHz?  Someone told me that it was only 3MHz.
Does a 33 MHz PC have comparable graphics capabilities to an Amiga
500?

-Mike

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.093614.15967@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

Damn is it late.  I can't believe I stayed up all night.

    Data Point: It is harder to add an 040 to a Mac than it is to an A3000. And
   and damn near impossible to upgrade the NeXTStation since it has NO SLOTS.
   Another point: Mac harder/softwaree is historically more expensive than
   Amiga hardware.

I'm not sure if you can upgrade the NeXT slabs either.  You might just
buy a new one.  The slab itself only costs $2300 after the educational
discount.  The monitor is a major expense, but you can keep it.

    The Amiga has virtual memory/mmu protection if you purchase Unix for it
   which IS availible. AT&T Sys V R4 with X windows and openlook.
   S5R4 Unix incorperates everything BSD has and adds much more. There is
   lots more software availible for X than there is for NeXTSTEP.

You can't run Unix and your games(or video) at the same time. And X
Windows, along with Motif, is available for the NeXT.  Runs in a
window, so you can have NeXTStep, SoftPC, and X Windows all running at
the same time.

    The Mac doesn't have VM unless you count unreleased System 7. There is
   another product called virtual that doesn't use an MMU but the only reason
   this hack works is because Macs reference memory by double
   dereferencing pointers. (They call it 'handles')

You can buy inits that give you virtual memory for the Mac.  They(it)
have been available for at least a year.  Actually, I think we are
thinking of the same product.  If so, it requires the 68030 because it
does need the MMU.  Anyway, System 7.0 is out next month so virtual is
available.  Will Amiga DOS 2.0 be available for the A500 soon?

-Mike

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/03/91)

> Keep in mind that the NeXT is more than an 040.  The Amiga still
> doesn't have virtual memory(even Macs have this) or memory protection.
> The Amiga is a nice machine, but the market is heating up and
> consumers educated enough to know the better machine by looking at
> spec. sheet.
>
> -Mike

Which is exactly why people will buy Amigas, and why EDUCATED people
already are.  If what you said was true, though, no one in their right
mind would pay $2000 for a PS/1 from Sears.  The fact is, the average
blue-collar, beer drinking person is going to buy a computer that
he can pick up at a Sears, Montgomery Wards, Silo or whatever.  You know
what Mont Ward's top selling CPU has been recently?  The Amiga 500.  Even
with salespeople that know absolutely nothing about it, it has still been
selling.  The reason?  It's $11 a month on your Ward's card, compared to
$30 for the 286 sitting next to it.  The otherreason? It's a game
machine. Why do people usually buy computers?  For their kids, and the
kids want to play games.  Later, they begin to program, DTP and many
other things, but they all start out playing games.  We are graduating a
generation of kids who had a 500 and are now moving in/out of college,
andwill want to stick with C= and the Amiga.  Who the hell is goingto buy
a NeXT for their 11 year old kid? One, you can't get the thing anywhere -
How many families with 11 year old kids do you know make regular trips up
tothe University to check out NeXT prices?  Tell me where you can buy a
NeXT otherthan a University?  Tell me where you can get a NeXT for under
$1000.  The C= 64 sold because it was cheap!  I still think the Atari 800
was a better machine, but the 64 sold better.  You have to realize that
most people would rather not spend over $1000, because theyeither don't
have it, or would rather spend it on a new boat, car, TV, etc.  The # of
people willing to shell out car-sized payments for a computer has to be
limited, I'm sure.

Another point.  This NeXT thing, didn't we just go through the same thing
with Atari.  Why don't we call this comp.sys.Amiga.vs.the.World.  Who's
next? Sun? DEC?  Why don't I tell you how much better my Silicon Graphics
workstation is than an Amiga 500.

Still another point.  I could have sworn that VGA, with all it's
niceties, was an OPTION. i.e. an expansion card.  Gee, I coulda saved
myself money by just hooking up my 1950 monitor to my AT without a card.
Making comparisons of this type are like comparing a Hard disk system toa
floppy system, because we're not even talking about prices that are
close!

Last point.  Quit comparing your wonderful NeXT and saying you get all
this for $3250.  You don't.  The Extended OS 2.0, which has C++, the
debugger, and many otherfine tools, does not fit in the base model.  I
know, I was torn between a NeXT and a 3000.  For a personal computer, it
is ridiculous that a 105meg hard drive should be way to small.  You
really need the 200meg version, which is a little over $4000, I believe.

These are just my impressions, but it sure seems like every attacker
eventually gives up and leaves...

rory

P.S. You want a cool machine? Buy a Sun 3.  People are practically giving
them away.

In article <y39Gf6-f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.075121.18084@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	   That's why the Amiga has the best character generation
>   software and the best 3-D modeling software of anything in its
>   price range. Yes, a niche market, but that is how Apple started,
>   not so?
>
>Why is it better?  I'm not that familiar with the Amiga character
>generation software.  How is it better than Display Postscript?

  He's talking about Video Titling. For instance, Turbo Titler, BroadCast
Titler, Tv-Text/Show, not to mention the Toaster's CG. Display Postscript
can obviously display text, but can it render it real time at 60 frames
per second? The Amiga can do it better, for a cheaper price.

>	   Yes, but there were never really any good years for the
>   Amiga at that point. Now it has made its mark. Obviously the
>   Amiga won't last forever, but Commodore can be considered a sure
>   thing for the next 5-10 years, at least if stock-market analysts
>   are to be believed. They've rated Commodore a 'strong-buy' and
>   have said that it is a company to watch for in the 90s.
>
>Technology is changing too fast to say that a company is going to be a
>strong buy throughtout the next decade.  With the introduction of HP's
>Snake machines, all bets are off.  What's going to happen when
>Microsoft, Compaq, and MIPS tell IBM this is how it's going to be?

'With the introduction of the innovative revolutionary product X, we are
posed to dominate the market.' We have heard this phrase over and over before.
No doubt HP's machines will sell, but Sun, Dec, IBM and several other
companies will most likely introduce new cheap workstations.

>On another thread, how much raw CPU does it take a computer to make up
>for the advantage the Amiga has with its blitter?  Does the blitter
>effectively run at 14MHz?  Someone told me that it was only 3MHz.
>Does a 33 MHz PC have comparable graphics capabilities to an Amiga
>500?

 The blitter has an effective data rate of 14mhz. The blitter takes
2 cycles to copy data. One to fetch the source, and one to write the
data. 14 million cycles per second / 2 cycles per operation = 7 MIPS.
That's theoretical. The blitter can do much more than just copy
data. It can perform 256 different logic operations to 3 input DMA channels.
It can also fill, draw vectors, detect zero bytes, mask and shift data.
The blitter isn't innovative anymore, but it still gets the job done.
It's the reason the Amiga has such awesome games, and why the Amiga can
multitask effectively with only a 68000. Most of the Amiga's
hardware is DMA driven, so the processor can go on to more complex
jobs rather than do the menial stuff like copying data, feeding a sound
chip or loading from the disk drive.

--
/~\_______________________________________________________________________/~\

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (04/04/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>If the Toaster only worked in the A3000...  NeXTDimension will have
>NTSC output.  I would think that it is comparable the the Toaster.  It
>should be, it costs $4000.

	It costs $4000 plus the price of a Cube, not the $3250 slab you keep
mentioning.  You can't plug it into the two pizza-box models.
	The Toaster will work in A3000's if they you leave the cover off and swap
out one of the coprocessors (forget which one) & replace it with its
pre-3000 counterpart.  Rest assured that the Toaster will be 3000ized
eventually.

>None at the moment, which could be a problem.  I think it has a chance
>of taking a piece of the DTP market and, with the NeXTDimension board,
>part of the video market.

	I remember someone on the net talking about Framemaker, the big NeXT
DTP package.  It cost something like $700, if I remember correctly,
and a bug fix for it was an additional $500.  PageStream on the Amiga
costs ~$180 by mail, and a major upgrade from v1.8 to v2.1 only
cost me $75.  This kind of thing is where the NeXT's apparent price
advantage disappears, and is one of the reasons I chose the A3000 over
a NeXT slab (not that I'd mind having one around :-).
>It's price/performance, and the NeXT is still competitive.  It's a 15
>mip, 2.5 MFLOP machine for $5000($3250 educational) plus..., well you
>know what else you get.

	You get no color, no expansion slots, expensive software, and a long
wait before you actually get the machine....

	Although this post sounds fairly anti-NeXT, I really do like a lot
of the machine's features (esp. that little 68040 feature :-), and I hope
it's successful at sucking away a little of the MS-DOS/Mac market;
I don't think, though, that it's going to kill the Amiga, any more than
Ami has killed the Mac.

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

In article <g_7G$f.f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.070829.31178@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>	   Well, what does your company do, what software do you
>   have on the Amiga, and what are they expected to do with the
>   machine? It doesn't make much sense to show an Amiga to people
>   who are interested in doing SQL Database work, for example.
>
>I am a student who works part time for Penn State as a programmer.  We
>develop educational software.  We have Amiga Vision, and ...I'm not
>sure what else.

	And so what are their complaints? Have they used
AmigaVision for anything? If you just make quick comments on it
there is no way to figure out the problem.

>The Mac upgrade from Radius costs $3500 as I posted earlier.  Sun
>sells their IPC(one of them) for $4995, the same as the NeXT.  They
>also offer an educational discount similar to NeXT's.  I assume Sun is
>making money.  NeXT's is probably making money on their low-end
>machines.

	I've heard reports that they are selling them at cost. As
to Sun, they don't have the same worries as NeXT as they make
their own CPU instead of buying from elsewhere. They don't
include a DSP. There is also only one unit, just a monitor, no
pizza-box. There is also no HD. I'd say their costs are much lower.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <*68Gc&.f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Keep in mind that the NeXT is more than an 040.  The Amiga still
>doesn't have virtual memory(even Macs have this) or memory protection.
>The Amiga is a nice machine, but the market is heating up and
>consumers educated enough to know the better machine by looking at
>spec. sheet.

	Why is any of that necessary for a "great" machine?
Memory protection is not seen in any PC (except for Unixes). As
to VM, Commodore is working on that as well, and the Mac DOES NOT
have it yet. System 7.0 is not shipping yet.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <ne8Ged?f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>If the Toaster only worked in the A3000...  NeXTDimension will have
>NTSC output.  I would think that it is comparable the the Toaster.  It
>should be, it costs $4000.

	The Toaster and NeXTDimension are not comparable items.
The NeXTD I believe can do things like display live video in a
window, the toaster can't. The Toaster can do video effects such
as wipes and fades which the dimension can't. The Dimension also
doesn't come with software to take advantage of it, so it will
have to be developed.

>     People buy Amigas. For Video, Audio and Games. What Niche does the
>   NeXT occuply?
>
>None at the moment, which could be a problem.  I think it has a chance
>of taking a piece of the DTP market and, with the NeXTDimension board,
>part of the video market.
>

>     Commodore has been around since the early 80's/late 70's. I even remember
>   an old Commodore 'brick' calculator they sold. They had bad years, but
>   they pulled through to produce the most sucessfl home computer ever created.
>   (C64). Now they produce one of the best multitasking PC's money can buy.
>   NeXT's are ok, but the RISC workstations are just so much better
>   in terms of performance.
>
>It's price/performance, and the NeXT is still competitive.  It's a 15
>mip, 2.5 MFLOP machine for $5000($3250 educational) plus..., well you
>know what else you get.
>
>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <y39Gf6-f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.075121.18084@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>BZZZZT, wrong.  I didn't make an inaccurate statement, I asked a
>question.  However, you get BZZZZT for you lack of knowledge in your
>other posting about RISC vs. CISC.  Do you think pc's outperform
>workstations?

	Weren't you saying that the NeXT is faster than the
low-end Suns, and the NeXT uses a CISC and the Sun uses a RISC?

>	   That's why the Amiga has the best character generation
>   software and the best 3-D modeling software of anything in its
>   price range. Yes, a niche market, but that is how Apple started,
>   not so?
>
>Why is it better?  I'm not that familiar with the Amiga character
>generation software.  How is it better than Display Postscript?

	Color, anti-aliasing and software to take advantage of
that.

>On another thread, how much raw CPU does it take a computer to make up
>for the advantage the Amiga has with its blitter?  Does the blitter
>effectively run at 14MHz?  Someone told me that it was only 3MHz.
>Does a 33 MHz PC have comparable graphics capabilities to an Amiga
>500?

	It is 7.14MHz to be precise, which is a rate designed to
be good for NTSC scan rates. Admittedly it is slow. My 25MHz 030
outperforms it, unless it is busy with other things. It is well
known that Commodore is working on improving the custom chips,
but it is a slow process if you intend to do a real improvement
rather than a quick fix.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <ibbG+qlf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>   The basic performance of the 68040 generation NeXT, to the average GUI user
>   at least, is on the order of what 2nd generation Amiga users have been
>   enjoying for a long time.  While it won't number crunch faster, an A3000 does
>   nearly everything else faster than a 68040 based NeXT.  And you haven't seen
>   a 68040 based Amiga yet.

>Commodore just got the 030 Amiga 3000 out the door.  I think it will
>be a while before we see an 040 machine from you guys, knowing
>Commodore's track record.

C= first shipped an '030 machine, the A2500/30, in 1989.  The A3000 shipped in
June of '90, almost 10 months ago.

>Who has NeXT paid to develop software?  I've heard this before, but no
>one is naming names.  Is it just a rumor?

Of course it's just a rumor; as a privately held company, NeXT doesn't have to
tell.  But if you look at any other new computer launch, and which companies
get paid for ports, you can't imagine those same folks are jumping on the
NeXT bandwagon for free.  IBM, for example, has reportedly paid 100's of
companies to do RS/6000 ports.

And these things DO scare away the competition.  Aston-Tate, for example,
was working on one NeXT product, a port of their spreadsheet, apparently
without funding from NeXT.  Now they say it's been indefinitely tabled.  Anyone
care to guess why?

>Anyway, NeXT (or Commodore) doesn't need everyone to develop software for
>their machine, just a few good companies(or ones that people recognize :-))
>in the necessary areas like DTP, CAD, accounting, etc.

Of course they don't need everyone.  And in fact, from what I've seen of the
PC market "leaders", I would rather see the #2 or #3 version of each
application ported to the Amiga.  Those guys in the #1 place, in general,
seem to rest on their laurels far too much.

>You would think with over 2 million machines more developers would
>support the Amiga.  As of last year, that was half as many as Apple.
>That should be enough to make developers look your way.

And there's half the installed base of computers.  Like ya said, you don't need
everyone writing for the system.  NeXT, with about 30 shipping applications
(as written up in the Personal Workstation "applications watch") must, by the
same logic, really scare away the developers.

>Word Perfect 5.0 and a Lotus 123 for the Amiga would sell a lot more
>machines.

Lotus 123G, maybe.  There isn't a high end spreadsheet for the Amiga.  I doubt
Word Perfect 5.0 would compete all that much better against native Amiga
wordprocessors than the original Word Perfect, unless they really got their
act together and did things "the Amiga way".

>-Mike

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

In article <*68Gc&.f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Keep in mind that the NeXT is more than an 040.  The Amiga still
>doesn't have virtual memory(even Macs have this) or memory protection.

Sure it does, just run Amiga UNIX.  You get all that, and the standard AT&T/
Motorola 680x0 UNIX ABI.  NeXT OS doesn't have the architectural speed of the
AmigaOS.  With an '30 or '040 based Amiga, you have your choice.  And you can
even get a place for add-in cards in that $4000 system.

>The Amiga is a nice machine, but the market is heating up and
>consumers educated enough to know the better machine by looking at
>spec. sheet.

Actually, the spec sheet is about as useful as basing a decision strictly
on advertisements, since that's basically what it is.  You base your decision
for a new computer on what you want to do with it, both now and in the future.

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (04/04/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>They aren't accepted in Fortune 500 companies,

One reason they 'haven't' been accepted is because most people haven't
heard of them or seen them.  I work for General Motors [a slower-moving
behemoth you'll never see, except maybe the federal government].  It
took years for people to convince them to buy some Macs because they
thought IBMs were the only real computers.  We bought a few A3000s for
one of our design departments, and now that people see them and what they
can do they want more.  Some A3000UXs are in their future, too.  Multitasking
played a big part of this.

>                                                 you don't find too many
>campus computer labs full of Amigas, and major developers still don't
>write software for them.  We have one where I work(A2500), but the

Hopefully this wil change soon.

>Most people aren't interested in speed, they want functionality.  It's
>what you do with the speed that matters.  NeXT gives the consumer
>Display Postscript, voice mail, and built in fax capabilities.
>The Amiga gives you the best games in the business.

I understand this discussion has been focused on the NeXT, but  some
people also confuse the issue of Amiga v. NeXT v. HP to be linked to the
Amiga's future demise.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

In article <y39Gf6-f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>	   That's why the Amiga has the best character generation
>   software and the best 3-D modeling software of anything in its
>   price range.

>Why is it better?  I'm not that familiar with the Amiga character
>generation software.  How is it better than Display Postscript?

Display Postscript is simply an interface layer, it has nothing to do with
character generation, 3-D rendering, or any other application you'd care to
point at.

If you're asking about 3-D rendering software, the reason the Amiga has good
3-D rendering software is that it that it's had such software much longer than
other platforms, and what's shipping now has the advantage of being its second
or third generation.  Same reason people like the Mac's DTP software; it's
mature.  People were attracted to the Amiga for this, I suppose, based on its
natural support of video display and the fact it could support realtime
animation, rather than requiring spooling out to videotape.

The ability to spit out NTSC doesn't simply make a system good at video.  The
Amiga can also genlock.  And it can display a 1280x400 (nominial) image, which
helps out titling considerable.  It supports overscan, crutial to video work.

Video Toaster is even more suited to video display.  It supports a full color
1500x900-something NTSC display.  Multiple input sources switched in software.
Digital video effects in real time.  And, apparently, much more.  Along with
a boatload of softare.  You can't do any better on any personal computer.

>On another thread, how much raw CPU does it take a computer to make up
>for the advantage the Amiga has with its blitter?  Does the blitter
>effectively run at 14MHz?  Someone told me that it was only 3MHz.

Someone was confused.  The Amiga chip bus runs 280ns cycles, effectively
the same speed as a 14.3MHz 68000.  Except for the fact that Agnus' bit image
manipulator ("blitter") does barrel shifting, line draw, and modulos in
hardware.  So it does image manipulation much faster than a 14MHz 68000.

>Does a 33 MHz PC have comparable graphics capabilities to an Amiga 500?

Yes and no.  Typical 33MHz PClones can't move graphics around as efficiently,
but the SVGA display adaptor certainly has better resolutions available --
31kHz/35ns pixels, 24 bit CLUT, 8 bits/pixel, etc.  The typical A500 SCSI hard
disk controller is, as well, far more efficient than the typical EDSI interface
on a 33MHz PClone (in PC parlance, the A500 controllers are bus masters),
though this only becomes important when multitasking (which the A500 does, of
course).

vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) (04/04/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

> True, this is why it's nice to use a machine that uses a 15 mip 68040
> in its base model.  During the NeXT several years, developers can
> assume this where the NeXT is concerned, but they will have to develop
> for the A500 when they program on the Amiga.  Of course, most
> developers probably aren't going to bother with the Amiga at all.
>
> -Mike

I was hoping you weren't gonna say anything like that.  8)

Personally, the home market doesn't need anything like a 14 mip 68040, a
SPARC-2, or an RS-6000...  most businesses probably don't need it either.
The Amiga is definately in trouble in terms of the scientific field if
nothing is done about it though (I heard that Commodore is pushing in
education, engineering, and the scientific fields now that the business
market is saturated with IBM PC type computers and Macintoshes... have not I
idea if this has an ounce of truth).

  Victor

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew Pierce) (04/04/91)

In article <u76Ge_wf1@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> In article <1991Apr3.051014.5474@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

[a bunch of stuff deleted.]

> if you run acrossed any software that says "Cracked courtesy of the
> Condor", that was me.                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^
I guess that's like saying "If you find a bunch of your stuff missing, I
stole it."

In article <gi1Gxwqf1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> The Amiga lost because it was branded a GAME MACHINE, the user
> interface didn't/doesn't look as good/professional (Zzzz) as the Macs,
> and it used to GURU meditate a little too much.  Lest we forget,
> Commodore didn't know how to market the machine either.

They still sold more machines in the first year than NeXT. How is NeXT's
great marketing doing? What are the final sales figures on the Cube, and
how do they match up to the 100,000 Amiga 1000s (let alone the 2,000,000
Amiga 500s)?

The NeXT has all the advantages and disadvantages as the Amiga did, and it's
not selling as well... that tells me my analogy is pretty much on the mark.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/04/91)

> It will leave here untouch except for a few demos.  Damn shame.

You're right.  It is a damn shame.  And unfortunately, its your loss.
The amiga is one of the best computers I've ever owned, and believe me
I've owned alot.  And I'm not talking ancient crap either.  IIci.
Dumpied it.  NeXT was an idea, but decided on an Amiga because unless
I were to run an ethernet cable from here to school, it would be a
useless lump of shit sitting on my computer table, getting about as
much use as that funny green tie I got for christmas last year.  The
tie is a joke, and unfortunately, so is the NeXT.

> How old are you?  So what?  It's what runs on your machine, not how
> much software is available.  Come on, think about this.  By the way,
> if you run acrossed any software that says "Cracked courtesy of the
> Condor", that was me.

Ahh, what a genius.  Calling people children, and then saying this.  I
hate to see the day when REAL software comes out for the NeXT.
Because you'll probably be a pirate then, too.  It's sad, really.
This completely destroys any credibility you could ever have, Mr.
Condor.  It's a good thing you're near extinction...  I wish I could
finish you off.  And it is how much software is available, pal.  I
will NOT be deadlocked into a particular piece of software, my fine,
felonious friend.  And because of what is NOT available on the NeXT,
or is available in one or two packages at most, I would rather pull my
hair out trying to learn MS-DOG then use software I use because I HAVE
TO, not because it's the best.  I can choose the best software for my
Amiga, and right now you're pretty well deadlocked into all of that
free software you get when you buy it.

Have fun at the copy partys, fool.
--
- gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu -	|  IBM's brain is on overload, and Apple
	Gregory Block		|  needs to be potty-trained.  C= may not

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/04/91)

From article <ne8Ged?f1@cs.psu.edu>, by melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger):
> If the Toaster only worked in the A3000...  NeXTDimension will have
> NTSC output.  I would think that it is comparable the the Toaster.  It
> should be, it costs $4000.

The toaster DOES work on the 3000.  Now, anyways.  Adapters now exist.
And does it offer framebuffers?  Realtime DVI?  4 video ins?  A
preview?  Okay how nifty.  Now, the big one.  Does it come with the
BEST 3d raytracing package on the market?  How's about maybe something
like "ToasterPaint"?  Or perhaps yours will be slightly less usable,
and maybe more on the Useless side of things.  And maybe live
teleconferencing won't be quite so easy on yours as it is in a
real-time system like the Amiga.  You give the toaster far less
credit than you think.  Most importantly, you don't need to buy a 4000
dollar computer to use a 4000 dollar piece of equipment.  You can buy
a 2000, and 7 megs of ram, and it's still good.  And don't forget that
the toaster only costs 1500.  Something else you can't say.

> None at the moment, which could be a problem.  I think it has a chance
> of taking a piece of the DTP market and, with the NeXTDimension board,
> part of the video market.
>
> -Mike

And you think THAT'S the problem?  I hope that the NextDimension board
is more than just a toaster clone.  And I hope it's at LEAST as
useful.  Because Next is up for a fight.  No, commodore may not know
how to market (yet).  But you can bet your butt that NewTek does.  And
with the marketing lead already held by NewTek, you're in for a
helluva fight.
--

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/04/91)

In article <20327@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

   Sure it does, just run Amiga UNIX.  You get all that, and the standard AT&T/
   Motorola 680x0 UNIX ABI.  NeXT OS doesn't have the architectural speed of the
   AmigaOS.  With an '30 or '040 based Amiga, you have your choice.  And you can
   even get a place for add-in cards in that $4000 system.

But you can't run Unix and the AmigaOS at the same time.  Don't you
lose the advatage of having the current crop of Amiga apps being
available?  And all your graphics programming must now be done in X.

-Mike

In article <20329@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

   >On another thread, how much raw CPU does it take a computer to make up
   >for the advantage the Amiga has with its blitter?  Does the blitter
   >effectively run at 14MHz?  Someone told me that it was only 3MHz.

   Someone was confused.  The Amiga chip bus runs 280ns cycles, effectively
   the same speed as a 14.3MHz 68000.  Except for the fact that Agnus' bit image
   manipulator ("blitter") does barrel shifting, line draw, and modulos in
   hardware.  So it does image manipulation much faster than a 14MHz 68000.

The confused person was a local Amiga zealot.  I tried telling him
that the Amiga's graphics chip ran at 14MHz, but he refused to believe
me.  He kept insisting that it was only 3MHz.

-Mike

In article <q2aGezeg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <20327@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>

>   Sure it does, just run Amiga UNIX.  You get all that, and the standard AT&T/
>   Motorola 680x0 UNIX ABI.  NeXT OS doesn't have the architectural speed of the
>   AmigaOS.  With an '30 or '040 based Amiga, you have your choice.  And you can
>   even get a place for add-in cards in that $4000 system.
>
>But you can't run Unix and the AmigaOS at the same time.  Don't you
>lose the advatage of having the current crop of Amiga apps being
>available?  And all your graphics programming must now be done in X.

	That is true. So what? You choose which operating system
you want. If you want AmigaDOS only, get a non-Unix Amiga. If you
want Unix, get a unix Amiga. Although Unix and AmigaDOS don't run
concurrently, you can reboot into either and so use whatever you
like. And your point about X isn't such a big deal either as X is
a standard. BTW, you can safely expect all software made in the
future for the Sun to be made for Amiga Unix, because all that
will be necessary is a simple recompilation.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr3.190802.11055@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   They still sold more machines in the first year than NeXT. How is NeXT's
   great marketing doing? What are the final sales figures on the Cube, and
   how do they match up to the 100,000 Amiga 1000s (let alone the 2,000,000
   Amiga 500s)?

I think NeXT sold somewhere b/w 7,000 and 10,000 original machines.
They have sold around 20,000 new machines(this is all from following
the news rags and the net, NeXT doesn't release sales figures).

I do believe the original Amiga was prices around $1800.  That might
be the reason that the sold more.  What do ya think?

   The NeXT has all the advantages and disadvantages as the Amiga did, and it's
   not selling as well... that tells me my analogy is pretty much on the mark.

The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.

NeXT question.

-Mike

In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
>don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
>than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.

	20,000 machines isn't so hot, actually. It certainly
isn't enought to keep the company afloat, nor will it generate
enough sales to keep ANY software houses from the big-world
happy. WordPerfect and Lotus will turn back unless sales pick up,
as no matter what Steve Jobs wants, they want money.
	And despite the claims that Lotus couldn't do this on
anything but the NeXT environment, they will soon port it to
MS Windows and probably XWindows/Unix. I seriously doubt that
developing on the NeXT and then porting is CHEAPER than just
developing on the destination machine.
	Jobs probably promised these companies a rose garden.
They will soon be disillusioned. Of course, CBM did the same
thing back in 1985, and many were soon disillusioned.
	As to buying stock, as I mentioned before Commodore has
been given "Strong Buy" status by a major Wall Street analyst
firm. That, combined with very strong sales over the second half
of 1990, have resulted in the stock quadrupling in the past 9
months (BTW, a round of applause to those with the vision and
money to buy in at $4/share!) How's NeXT stock doing? That's
right, they are afraid to make things public.

>NeXT question.

	Arggggghhhhh!!! 8-)

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (04/04/91)

In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
>don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
>than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.

Really?  Sun is supposed to be selling more than 250,000 boxes this year
(EE Times, April 1, 1991).  How many boxes will Commodore ship?

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/04/91)

In article <ne8Ged?f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.083845.13479@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>

>It's price/performance, and the NeXT is still competitive.  It's a 15
>mip, 2.5 MFLOP machine for $5000($3250 educational) plus..., well you
>know what else you get.
>
>-Mike

  Lets see now... the Next has had a 68040 for about five months now...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

  Tell me it's not true!!

  Human beings have been on the planet Earth for aproximately
2 million years. The Next 68040 has been around for bout one half
of a year. That is about 0.00000025% of the span of history tha
you have to be proud of! (The Amiga has 0.000003% of our
existance, which is much higher than that weenie slice the
Next has....   :)

David :)

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

  -- Looking to buy a used 68000 CPU and 1.3 Kickstart

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (04/04/91)

In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
>don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
>than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.

Considering that at close of business today the price of Sun common stock was
about 120% of the price it was at close of business 23 August 1990 (32 3/8 vs.
26 3/8), and the price of Commodore common stock at close of business today
was about 420% of what it was at close of business 23 August 1990 (19 3/8 vs.
4 5/8), may 'most people' should have bought stock in Commodore.

>NeXT question.

Next comment.

>-Mike

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

In article <1991Apr4.021357.4013@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>
>>The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
>>don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
>>than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.
>
>Really?  Sun is supposed to be selling more than 250,000 boxes this year
>(EE Times, April 1, 1991).  How many boxes will Commodore ship?

Considering that in the less than six years since the Amiga was first
introduced, Commodore has sold over 2 million of them, that works out to
an average of over 330,000 Amigas per year (and probably more, but I don't
know when in 1985 the Amiga first started shipping, and I don't know how
many Amiga's over the 2 million mark have been sold).  I've seen nothing
to indicate that Commodore will be shipping Amigas at any slower rate in the
near future, either.

In article <2045@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil> schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
>In article <1991Apr4.021357.4013@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>>In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>>
>>>The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
>>>don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
>>>than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.
>>
>>Really?  Sun is supposed to be selling more than 250,000 boxes this year
>>(EE Times, April 1, 1991).  How many boxes will Commodore ship?
>
>Considering that in the less than six years since the Amiga was first
>introduced, Commodore has sold over 2 million of them, that works out to
>an average of over 330,000 Amigas per year (and probably more, but I don't
>know when in 1985 the Amiga first started shipping, and I don't know how
>many Amiga's over the 2 million mark have been sold).  I've seen nothing
>to indicate that Commodore will be shipping Amigas at any slower rate in the
>near future, either.

	I believe the number over the time from July 1, 1989
through June 30, 1990 was about 550,000 machines, and Commodore
has reported that since then sales are up over 20%. As well, the
Christmas quarter showed the third largest sales of any CBM
quarter ever.

>Jeff Schweiger
>--
>Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
>Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr4.005212.17755@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   That is true. So what? You choose which operating system
   you want. If you want AmigaDOS only, get a non-Unix Amiga. If you
   want Unix, get a unix Amiga. Although Unix and AmigaDOS don't run
   concurrently, you can reboot into either and so use whatever you
   like. And your point about X isn't such a big deal either as X is
   a standard. BTW, you can safely expect all software made in the
   future for the Sun to be made for Amiga Unix, because all that
   will be necessary is a simple recompilation.

Which X standard are you talking about?  Motif or Open Look?  Errrh, I
should be asking which windowing system.

I think you may be over simplifying the the ease with you are going to
get Sun software to run on the Amiga.  Anyway, wouldn't you much
rather run that same software on an 040 NeXT, or better yet an HP
Snake :-)?  Why is it only future software?  dBase IV, Lotus 123, and
WP all run on the Sun now.

-Mike

In article <1991Apr4.015311.19714@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   20,000 machines isn't so hot, actually. It certainly
   isn't enought to keep the company afloat, nor will it generate
   enough sales to keep ANY software houses from the big-world
   happy. WordPerfect and Lotus will turn back unless sales pick up,
   as no matter what Steve Jobs wants, they want money.

It's a start.  I think Sun sold around 180,000 machines last year,
while its closest competitor sold half as many.  NeXT should sell
between 40,000 and 50,000 machines this year.  They will need a lower
priced machine to sell more, and I'm sure that they know that.
However, the people/companies who can spend $5000 on a computer are
also the ones who can afford to pay $500 for a word processor and
another $500 for a spreadsheet.

	   And despite the claims that Lotus couldn't do this on
   anything but the NeXT environment, they will soon port it to
   MS Windows and probably XWindows/Unix. I seriously doubt that
   developing on the NeXT and then porting is CHEAPER than just
   developing on the destination machine.

But the NeXT is magical :-).  You write software correctly the first
time :-).

	   Jobs probably promised these companies a rose garden.
   They will soon be disillusioned. Of course, CBM did the same
   thing back in 1985, and many were soon disillusioned.

Commodore screwed up big time.  They had the machine, but didn't know
what to do with it.  Too bad Jack Tramail couldn't buy the Amiga when
he went to Atari.

	   As to buying stock, as I mentioned before Commodore has
   been given "Strong Buy" status by a major Wall Street analyst
   firm. That, combined with very strong sales over the second half
   of 1990, have resulted in the stock quadrupling in the past 9
   months (BTW, a round of applause to those with the vision and
   money to buy in at $4/share!) How's NeXT stock doing? That's
   right, they are afraid to make things public.

What do you want NeXT to make public?  What does it matter?

   >NeXT question.

-Mike

In article <jcGp1lg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Which X standard are you talking about?  Motif or Open Look?  Errrh, I
>should be asking which windowing system.

	Open Look comes with the system, and apparently some
company is already working on Motif.

>I think you may be over simplifying the the ease with you are going to
>get Sun software to run on the Amiga.  Anyway, wouldn't you much
>rather run that same software on an 040 NeXT, or better yet an HP
>Snake :-)?  Why is it only future software?  dBase IV, Lotus 123, and
>WP all run on the Sun now.

	Not at all oversimplified! That's why Commodore chose to
follow the AT&T standard. With SVR4, any program which uses the
standard Unix accompaniments, including X, will work with nothing
more than a recompile on any other machine running SVR4. In fact,
if the processor is the same no recompilation is necessary, the
binary runs on both machines. Welcome to the wonderful world of
ABI. 8)
	Why wouldn't I rather run them on an 040 NeXT? First,
please, stop this "040" next stuff, cause everyone will be
getting 040s soon enough. We're waiting for Motorola to get out
those bugs that NeXT was willing to live with. Besides, you can't
just do a recompilation to run it on the NeXT, and to use the
pretty NeXTstep/Display Postscript interface will require a
complete rewrite, so even if they did do a basic port (with
changes) it still won't take advantage of the NeXT's main
advantage.
	The reason I say future software is that, although Sun is
adopting the SVR4 standard, I don't believe it is done yet.

>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <t11Gi=lg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>In article <1991Apr4.015311.19714@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>	   Jobs probably promised these companies a rose garden.
>   They will soon be disillusioned. Of course, CBM did the same
>   thing back in 1985, and many were soon disillusioned.
>
>Commodore screwed up big time.  They had the machine, but didn't know
>what to do with it.  Too bad Jack Tramail couldn't buy the Amiga when
>he went to Atari.

	Commodore didn't commit serious money to the Amiga. They
have a hard time shifting from the game machine -- no support
company. As well, no one will believe that Commodore could
possibly be making something other than a game machine.
	As to wishing Jack Tramiel had the Amiga, you're crazy!
Look what he's doing over at Atari! He hasn't shown any interest
in promoting things other than as a game machine.

>What do you want NeXT to make public?  What does it matter?

	I would like to know how much money they take in in
sales, and what their earnings are. Every publically traded
company has to say that.

>   >NeXT question.
>
>-Mike

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/04/91)

  writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.051014.5474@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu
  (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>   How can you send fax without a modem or ethernet? Sure NeXT has
>   an ethernet port, buthow many people can afford an Internet connection?
>   Voice-Mail from one NeXT to Another in the same computer lab is about
>   as useful as making a telephone call from your bedroom to your basement.
>
>It works great acrossed campus.  I'm not sure how many Fortune 500
>companies are using ethernet?  Voice mail will work through a modem.
>It's just a compress'ed tar file.  And I guess you'd have to buy a fax
>machine to send faxes.  Fax machines are pretty common, ya know.

So you're saying that a company or college can use voice mail or they can use
their _already_existing_ telephone system.  Sounds like Northern Telecom had
better brace for a run on their business... ;-)

Remember that nearly the same hype went on when the 030 NeXT was released.
It wasn't long before the NeXT fell by the wayside.  The software developers
weren't making any money, and neither was NeXT.  Software development by
large companies came to a standstill.  I predict that the same thing will
happen today.

The NeXT just doesn't have a good market.  In the realm of personal
computers, it a pricey machine with a handful of software titles (that are
also quite pricey).  In the business world, it has too many powerful
competitors that offer more support (remember, businesses don't pay the
educational price).  In the video world, well, we know who has that tied
up. ;)  For music?  There are many cheaper and more suited MIDI boxes.

You might check into whether NeXT has ever shown a profit.  You may be
surprised...

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.021357.4013@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>Really?  Sun is supposed to be selling more than 250,000 boxes this year
>(EE Times, April 1, 1991).  How many boxes will Commodore ship?

Including C= 64's or not? :-)  I won't as they aren't real boxes...

>Steve Wootton
>stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
>stevew@pur-ee.uucp
>stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

Well, my guess, if current trends continue...
C= will sell between 750,000 and 1,000,000 Amiga computers in 1991.

Loren J. Rittle
The only proof I offer is this: 2,000,000 Amiga's have been sold
in the last 3 years.
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (04/04/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

> The Mac doesn't have VM unless you count unreleased System 7. There is
>another product called virtual that doesn't use an MMU

  Why is it then, that Virtual REQUIRES a 68851 PMMU on 68020 Macs?
Could it possibly be that Virtual DOES use the MMU (in fact, it does,
using 4KB paged virtual memory via the 68851 or the 68030).

>but the only reason
>this hack works is because Macs reference memory by double
>dereferencing pointers. (They call it 'handles')

  As my good friend David would say, "What a load of WaldenBollocks".

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Dear Fascist Bully Boy,   Give me some money, or else.  Neil.  P.S. May
the seed of your loins be fruitful in the womb of your woman..."

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/05/91)

In article <46670@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

   So you're saying that a company or college can use voice mail or they can use
   their _already_existing_ telephone system.  Sounds like Northern Telecom had
   better brace for a run on their business... ;-)

Mailing apps, documents, etc. is also turnkey with NeXT mail.  That in
itself is very important to the average user.

   Remember that nearly the same hype went on when the 030 NeXT was released.
   It wasn't long before the NeXT fell by the wayside.  The software developers
   weren't making any money, and neither was NeXT.  Software development by
   large companies came to a standstill.  I predict that the same thing will
   happen today.

Can I quote you on that? :-)

   The NeXT just doesn't have a good market.  In the realm of personal
   computers, it a pricey machine with a handful of software titles (that are
   also quite pricey).  In the business world, it has too many powerful
   competitors that offer more support (remember, businesses don't pay the
   educational price).  In the video world, well, we know who has that tied
   up. ;)  For music?  There are many cheaper and more suited MIDI boxes.

$5000 for a business computer is not that much.  Check the prices of
last years Macs.

   You might check into whether NeXT has ever shown a profit.  You may be
   surprised...

I thought we were comparing the merits of the machines, not the
companies?  If we were all looking for safety, we would buy IBMs.

-Mike

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (04/05/91)

In article <0c9G.k-f1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.093614.15967@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>    The Mac doesn't have VM unless you count unreleased System 7. There is
>   another product called virtual that doesn't use an MMU but the only reason
>   this hack works is because Macs reference memory by double
>   dereferencing pointers. (They call it 'handles')
>
>You can buy inits that give you virtual memory for the Mac.  They(it)
>have been available for at least a year.  Actually, I think we are
>thinking of the same product.  If so, it requires the 68030 because it
>does need the MMU.  Anyway, System 7.0 is out next month so virtual is

We've heard this before. I think I first head this last year. "next month."

>available.  Will Amiga DOS 2.0 be available for the A500 soon?

a month before system 7? it seems Ms-dos 5.0, Workbench 2.0 and System 7 are in
a race to be the last os to be released. "next month" is all I hear.

In article <1991Apr4.212246.27944@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) writes:

   >You can buy inits that give you virtual memory for the Mac.  They(it)
   >have been available for at least a year.  Actually, I think we are
   >thinking of the same product.  If so, it requires the 68030 because it
   >does need the MMU.  Anyway, System 7.0 is out next month so virtual is

   We've heard this before. I think I first head this last year. "next month."

   >available.  Will Amiga DOS 2.0 be available for the A500 soon?

   a month before system 7? it seems Ms-dos 5.0, Workbench 2.0 and System 7 are in
   a race to be the last os to be released. "next month" is all I hear.

   >-Mike

But you heard it from me so that makes it true. :-)  Would I lie to
you?

-Mike

In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> I do believe the original Amiga was prices around $1800.  That might
> be the reason that the sold more.  What do ya think?

What, you mean the fact that the Amiga still gives you more bang for the buck
than any other personal computer? Isn't that the point?

> Commodore has sold more machines
> than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.

Gamblers are always impressed by style, and that's what the stock market
is all about.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <1991Apr5.003122.2316@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   In article <n9bG2xgg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
   > I do believe the original Amiga was prices around $1800.  That might
   > be the reason that the sold more.  What do ya think?

   What, you mean the fact that the Amiga still gives you more bang for the buck
   than any other personal computer? Isn't that the point?

My point(answer to the original poster) was that the original Amigas
were in a cheaper market than the original $8000 NeXT's.  That is why
Commodore sold more machines in the Amiga's first year, or at least my
reasoning.

-Mike

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/05/91)

  writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.190802.11055@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The NeXT is selling well.  They are in the $5000 market.  You just
>don't sell as many machines there.  Commodore has sold more machines
>than Sun too, but most people would buy stock in Sun.

YOU haven't check Commodore's stock prices lately, have you?  My April 4th
_New_York_Times_ shows it at 19 3/8, up 1/8.  The day before it was up 1 3/8.
Last July (when I started watching Commodore stock) it was around $7.  I
_WISH_ I'd had the money to invest back then...  I saw something recently
recommending Commodore stock.

>NeXT question.

Ok, if you're so turned on by the NeXT, why are you here in an Amiga group?
You've shown several times how uninformed you are about the Amiga.  Maybe you
should be posting to comp.sys.amiga.introduction...

>-Mike

Greg

--

  writes:
>What do you want NeXT to make public?  What does it matter?

Sales figures, profits, etc.  Such things are important to developers.  They
have to know what to expect when they go to market.

You see, keeping such data secret allows Steve Jobs to ignore the fact that
NeXT isn't making any profits, nor have they ever done so.  It allows him to
pull his creditor's chains just a bit longer.  It allows him to talk companies
(with a bit o'the green in his hands) into developing, promising them many
returns for their time invester.

Steve Jobs' whole marketing strategy is based on secrecy and dishonesty.  You
want an example?  Ok.  Consider the big educational discount hype.  Ol' Steve
is trying to sell a crippled system (only 105MB drive, no compiler, no man
pages, Mathematica's gone, Lotus is gone -- you get the license for the
compiler and the man pages but you're SOL until you invest in another drive)
as the perfect student's machine.  WHAT?!?!  In addition, the average student
doesn't have internet access (ask most college students if they know what the
internet IS) so the only software they can get is commercial and EXPEN$IVE!

>-Mike

Greg
--

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (04/05/91)

<jcGp1lg1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>I think you may be over simplifying the the ease with you are going to
>get Sun software to run on the Amiga.  Anyway, wouldn't you much
>rather run that same software on an 040 NeXT, or better yet an HP
>Snake :-)?  Why is it only future software?  dBase IV, Lotus 123, and
>WP all run on the Sun now.

	If the software is compliant with the ABI binary standard for 680x0-based
UNIX systems, it should run without even the need for recompilation.
    Send me a NeXT or a Snake with some software & I'll let you know how
I like 'em :-)

--

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/06/91)

In article <46749@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

[...]

Let's consider the big educational discount.  A 68040(has FPU built
in) machine with a 105MB hard drive, 8MB of RAM, a DSP, , a 2.88MB
floppy drive, a 17" 92dpi monochrome monitor(2 bit gray scale) with
only part of the software installed.  What kind of Mac could you get
for that price($3300)?  Of course we aren't interested in the Mac
here.  I think $3300 will buy you a 105MB 25MHz Amiga 3000(how much
RAM?  -- with Unix?).  8MB of RAM and a 105MB hard drive is not
optimal, but it is quite usable.  How much space do you have free on
your hard disk?

You can get software from friends or a local users group, if one
exists.  How did Amiga users deal with this when the Amiga was first
released?

-Mike

BTW: Lotus Improv was shipped free to users who bought their machines
before March 31.  It wasn't included on the HD.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/07/91)

In article <2wBuZ3w164w@ozonebbs.UUCP> vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) writes:

   I was hoping you weren't gonna say anything like that.  8)

   Personally, the home market doesn't need anything like a 14 mip 68040, a
   SPARC-2, or an RS-6000...  most businesses probably don't need it either.
   The Amiga is definately in trouble in terms of the scientific field if
   nothing is done about it though (I heard that Commodore is pushing in
   education, engineering, and the scientific fields now that the business
   market is saturated with IBM PC type computers and Macintoshes... have not I
   idea if this has an ounce of truth).

     Victor

In 5 years, a machine more powerful than the SPARC II will easily sell
for a $1000.  As for what to do with it, use your imagination.

-Mike

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/08/91)

In article <_z8Gw7zh1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>Let's consider the big educational discount.  A 68040(has FPU built
>in) machine with a 105MB hard drive, 8MB of RAM, a DSP, , a 2.88MB
>floppy drive, a 17" 92dpi monochrome monitor(2 bit gray scale) with
>only part of the software installed.  What kind of Mac could you get
>for that price($3300)?  Of course we aren't interested in the Mac
>here.  I think $3300 will buy you a 105MB 25MHz Amiga 3000(how much
>RAM?  -- with Unix?).  8MB of RAM and a 105MB hard drive is not
>optimal, but it is quite usable.  How much space do you have free on
>your hard disk?

Did you miss reading my post?  I didn't say the NeXT's discount was _bad_.  I
said the sales program was.  Since I didn't quote what I said, I'll paraphrase
the jist of it.  Steve Jobs has started another of his dishonest programs
where he sells an under-equipped version of a machine at a low initial price
and then soaks the user for all subsequent purchases.  He sells a Unix box
which doesn't even have space for the release software, much less enough to do
any work.  Once the user figures out they need more, he sticks them with
high-priced expansions.  Most users don't know that they can buy regular 8-bit
SIMMs instead of NeXT's $2995-per-8MB ones.  Many don't know how to install a
hard drive, and will have to pay some NeXT-specific person (how should they
know that anyone could do it) to install it for them.

Once Steve Jobs has his foot in your door he's also got his hand in your
wallet.

>You can get software from friends or a local users group, if one
>exists.  How did Amiga users deal with this when the Amiga was first
>released?

With 30,000 machines what kind of user groups can you expect?  It's possible
that you _might_ know someone else who owns a NeXT, but it's a small chance.

>-Mike
>
>BTW: Lotus Improv was shipped free to users who bought their machines
>before March 31.  It wasn't included on the HD.

My mistake.  Of course, how do you put it on an already-full 105MB drive? :)

BTW, how much does Improv cost now?

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
                       |lost souls swimming in a fishbowl, year after year,
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

tinman@agora.rain.com (David Tinnyo) (04/08/91)

There is a big issue that is really being ignored in this debate:  The
people buying Amiga's right now are a totally different class of people
than the people interested in the NeXT.

I see NeXT attempting to convert people from the workstation and possible
PC-DOS markets.  In other words, they are businessmen, educators, and
scientists/engineers.  Most of these people own computers already and
expect certain applications (DB, SpreadSheet, Statistical, Graphing, WP, etc).

The vast majority of Amiga people I've been exposed to don't give a S**T
about those applications.  Many of my friends are electronic musicians,
video/performance artists etc.  These are the kinds of people who are
buying Amigas.  They want a computer that will allow their own creativity
to be enhanced/magnified.  And with their budgets, it has to be dirt cheap.
Showing them a computer that starts up with a login message is completely
ridiculous.

No matter how you feel about Commodore Marketing, you've got to give them
credit for getting these kind of people interested in computers.   It's really
a blast to see a guy with a nose ring, dreadlocks, and cut off gloves
boasting proudly about his new GVP add-on.  Can you say 'bohemian technology?'

I think that the NeXT (or something like it) will really revolutionize
'business/professional' computing.  But I got tired of that kind of programming
a long time ago.  It's much more exciting to develop software for 'garage
video/music producers.'   And the parties are a lot more fun, too.  :)

---
David E. Tin Nyo                       "The key to the future is information,
tinman@agora.rain.com                   and it is FREE."  -The Phoenix Project
---

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/09/91)

In article <46835@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

   Did you miss reading my post?  I didn't say the NeXT's discount was _bad_.  I
   said the sales program was.  Since I didn't quote what I said, I'll paraphrase
   the jist of it.  Steve Jobs has started another of his dishonest programs
   where he sells an under-equipped version of a machine at a low initial price
   and then soaks the user for all subsequent purchases.  He sells a Unix box
   which doesn't even have space for the release software, much less enough to do
   any work.  Once the user figures out they need more, he sticks them with
   high-priced expansions.  Most users don't know that they can buy regular 8-bit
   SIMMs instead of NeXT's $2995-per-8MB ones.  Many don't know how to install a
   hard drive, and will have to pay some NeXT-specific person (how should they
   know that anyone could do it) to install it for them.

The basic NeXTstation is great for use on a network.  If NeXT put a
larger drive on the low-end machine, it would cost more and then
people who network a dozen machines would have something to complain
about.  It's not the ideal system for a single user system, but it's
such a great deal that it's hard to pass up.

Most users don't know that they can buy a NeXT.  It's a Mac and IBM
world.  I think Apple charges the similar prices for RAM and HD.  How
about Commodore?

   With 30,000 machines what kind of user groups can you expect?  It's possible
   that you _might_ know someone else who owns a NeXT, but it's a small chance.

I know three people.  Think about it.  What other machine are computer
literate people going to buy?

   My mistake.  Of course, how do you put it on an already-full 105MB drive? :)

You could delete the Improv demo.  I'm not sure what all comes on the
105MB system.  But in /NextDeveloper I get 24MB of example programs
with source.  This might be part of the "OS", as misinformed people
like to call all 250MB of the NeXT software, that is only included on
the Extended release, but then again, if you really want it, I'll
e-mail it to you :-).  The NeXT Tour is another program that can be
deleted.

   BTW, how much does Improv cost now?

Not sure, somewhere b/w $495 and $695.

-Mike

In article <?5Gwtik1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> The basic NeXTstation is great for use on a network.

So the basic NeXTstation isn't so great standalone?

> I know three people.  Think about it.  What other machine are computer
> literate people going to buy?

Well, I'm computer-literate. I bought an Amiga.

It's useful standalone.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

NeXT, in business? Not without orbital mind control lasers to reprogram
purchasing officers. We can't even get VT320s instead of VT220s for our
DEC droids (so they can run multiple sessions), because the requirements
don't specify that.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.