[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] NeXT emulator?

PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (Rasiel) (04/09/91)

With all the talk about NeXT vs. Amiga I was wondering if it was technically
possible to emulate a NeXT on, say, a 3000 with an '040. Of course, there
could always be computers-on-a-card but would it be possible, or legal, to
port over the NeXT OS?

I've also been wondering why the Amiga's resolution has been getting better
through the years HORIZONTALLY but not vertically. Why must we have a max of
400 lines vertical resolution? Is this why SVGA (or even VGA) can't be emulated
on an ATonce-type emulator? Or is it the color or both?

Us Amiga owners have always had a card we can use against owners of other
computers that they have invariably not had when all else failed: WE CAN
EMULATE YOUR PC!
Rasiel

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/09/91)

In article <50091@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (Rasiel) writes:

>I've also been wondering why the Amiga's resolution has been getting better
>through the years HORIZONTALLY but not vertically. Why must we have a max of
>400 lines vertical resolution? Is this why SVGA (or even VGA) can't be emulated
>on an ATonce-type emulator? Or is it the color or both?
>
>Rasiel

  I talked extensively with some German reps about the ATonce. First I asked
him if a 386 is possible. He said no because it would cost too much, and
their goal was to produce a cheap 286 emulator. He also said that the ATonce
drove down the Bridgeboard prices. I also asked him to run some programs,
and he ran DBase, Lotus, Word Perfect, and AutoCad. He showed me the high
res mode, which was pretty good except for the gentle flicker. I then asked
him if a VGA upograde would be a hardware addition or modification to the
ATonce/Amiga, or if it would be software. He said it would be a software
upgrade, and that VGA will be available soon.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casal Bordino, Italia.