[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga will bump Mac.

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/28/91)

Amiga has a very good chance at bumping Mac in the professional markets.  Mac
has some serious image problem and Commodore should take full advantage of them.
Mac has created and is now reinforcing an image of the clown-child computer.
Let me explain.

As any marketoid can tell you, products have some sort of identity which fits in
somewhere in our current schemas of identities.  In western culture (at least in
North America) we have what is called the archetypical family which is used in
advertising, entertainment, public relations, and in communication again and
again.  The archetypical family consits of: the father, the mother, the
industrious child, and the clown child.  Ozzy & Harriet, one of the original
TV programs, was an archetypical family.  It is something familar, something
understood, something where we can identify with at least one of the family.
We see the archetypical family on the local news: the father fig anchor, the
mother fig anchor, the industrious child sportscaster and the clown-child
weatherman.  There may be a little variation, however this combination is very
purposeful.  It is familiar, understood and something we will accept into our
home.  The archetypical family is used in several ways.  In marketing, we get
familiar families of products.  In New Mexico, we have a family of beers, for
example, where we have Bud the father fig, Coors the mother fig, then ...maybe
Miller the industrious child, and Micholobe(sp?)as the clown child.  In pop
we have Coke the father fig, Pepsi the mother fig, and maybe ...slice the
industrious child and ...rootbeer the clown-child... it is not always so clear
cut when there are several products.  Never the less, products do become
identified as one of the archetypical family and comapnies spend billions of
$ making sure that they do.  Someone told me once that IBM was worried to death
when SkyLab was about to crash because they thought if it hurt anyone and the
TV cameras show the wreckage the the IBM logo would be seen and it would
tarnish the image of IBM the father and protector.

In the coputer family what do we have?  IBM the father fig and ....?  Its
developing.  Mac pushed its image as the clown-child.  It wanted the user to
feel superior to it to help overcome computer phobia.  It looked like a fat
little rolly-polly little baby and even bleeped and blurped like one.  Many
of the advertisements were a depiction of a conflict with a father fig.  The
1984 ad where the girl destroys Big Brother and in the school ad where the kid
uses Mac to fend off his cranky chastising male teacher are a couple of
examples.  Mac has a big problem now however.  How well suited is the clown-
child image for a professional market when society is losing its computer
phobia.  This is where Amiga has a big opportunity.

Amiga is a female name, it is associated with beauty (ie graphics), it is
compatible with IBM (rather than competitive), and it can emulate a Mac (ie
Mac is more "of" Amiga as a child is "of" its mother) ...so Amiga is an ideal
candidate for the mother figure in the personal computer family.  It may
become like Coors is to beer and Pepsi is to pop.

Mac has some problems, the image it has created and ...Mac is a male name going
head to head (competing with) IBM.  A certain sign of a childish identity is
a competitive attitude toward father figures.  And Mac is trying to sue IBM
over windows which furthers its image as a child refusing to accept father.

I think C= should run some adds trying to settle this dispute Mac has with
IBM to project an image of Amiga the peace maker since peace making is a trait
strongly associated with an adult female. Amiga the cooperator with IBM who is
nurturing and soothing to the angry little baby Mac. (Not that I want it settled
it would just be good PR).  C= should also push its support for the same reason....Amiga the supporter-nurturer(sp?).  A mother fig PC may even be better than
a father fig one.  It could nurture and support the young ones and cooperate
with the adult users.

Sorry about the spelling.

                                             NCW
.

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (03/28/91)

This was some of the more fun stuff I've read in here for
a while, but it may all be pretty true anyway.

I just wish my Amiga would be less down, when she is having
her period; she tends to make my disks corrupt and Guru,
when she's havin' it.

And I wish the Mac thread would have no reason to exist
(i.e. no mac), but it does not seem like MacDonalds are
going to withdraw from manufacturing computers in the
near future.

IBM the father figure, I like that. It matches with me
getting 1984 associations, when thinking of big blue.
A shame, by the way, that the big blue words have been
attached to I*&#. I've always liked 'The big Blue' as
a poetic description of the sea.

Hm. I'm off for Easter! Bye

PS:-)
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/30/91)

their own personal insights:

1) Yea, ...look, I know that it is Microsoft (and HP) that is being sued by
   Apple.  In fact the latest news is that Apple has already lost the "look
   and feel" issue.  The judge refused to even hear those arguments.

2) I know the '1984' ad is old. ...Mac is trying to change their image.

3) When you talk about image, your stuck with general terms.  It comes with
   the territory.

4) Mr. Roger Christy... tell me... how does an idiot know when he has, indeed,
   ...spotted... another idiot?

                 :)  ):    :(  (:    :(  ):  :)  (:

                                  NCW

In article <1991Mar27.180203.4517@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
> In the coputer family what do we have?  IBM the father fig and ....?  Its
> developing.

We're talking "image"?

IBM is the father. Microsoft is the mother. Mac is the industrious child.
Amiga is the clown child. Sorry, dude.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

nwickham@carina.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.184631.5169@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Mar27.180203.4517@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>> In the coputer family what do we have?  IBM the father fig and ....?  Its
>> developing.
>
>We're talking "image"?
>
>IBM is the father. Microsoft is the mother. Mac is the industrious child.
>Amiga is the clown child. Sorry, dude.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

n The industrous child so does not go "bleep" "ding-dong" "bzthzth"
  nor does it bring law suits to mam or dad!

              NCW

x~
`

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (03/30/91)

In terms of family dynamics, I guess I would make the Amiga the misunderstood
gifted child..ahead of its time and without adequate support to fully
develop its potential..

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/31/91)

In article <40693@cup.portal.com> amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:
>In terms of family dynamics, I guess I would make the Amiga the misunderstood
>gifted child..ahead of its time and without adequate support to fully
>develop its potential..

Really....

You know though, Amiga has probably survived the shake-out.  When cars first
came around, manufactures popped up everwhere and we had several dozzen brands
of cars.  But then came the shake out and we had, more or less, the archetype
family of Ford, Chevrolet, Chrytler, and AMC. We then got some foriegn brands,
...people sort of lost faith.  Remember when Datsun changed its name to Nissan?
It went for the more feminine name rather than go head to head with Toyota.

Toyota and Ford are the leaders in truck sales and probably always will be.

Computers may be different and Amiga has a problem with the game image but I'd
still say that it is likely that Amiga will become the Chevrolet of Computers.
If Amiga doesn't fill that spot, who will?  There is a spot there to be filled,
it is one of the most basic schemas in western cognition and a good marketer
knows that.  There are probably some people at C= (or their ad agency) who are
working on it.

                                 NCW
PS

I think that the truth is that many people confuse Amiga with Atari, at least
on a deeper emotional level since most people have never actually seen or used
an Amiga.  Amiga Unix and the Toaster will help give Amiga a stronger identity.

No flames please, just take the above for what it worth.  I know you could cut
it up with the wave of your hand.

In article <1991Mar29.223429.20974@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@carina.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
> >IBM is the father. Microsoft is the mother. Mac is the industrious child.
> >Amiga is the clown child. Sorry, dude.

> n The industrous child so does not go "bleep" "ding-dong" "bzthzth"
>   nor does it bring law suits to mam or dad!

Welcome to the New World Order, dude.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <1991Mar31.055402.7293@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
> Computers may be different and Amiga has a problem with the game image but I'd
> still say that it is likely that Amiga will become the Chevrolet of Computers.

The IBM-PC clones are already the Chevy of computers.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar31.182044.27856@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   The IBM-PC clones are already the Chevy of computers.

   Bsssst! Wrong! IBM-PC clones/compatibles are the Ford Model T of
computers.  If I had to carry that analogy to extremes, I think that
makes Amiga = Oldsmobile.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

In article <EACHUS.91Apr1115118@aries.mitre.org> eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:
>In article <1991Mar31.182044.27856@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>   The IBM-PC clones are already the Chevy of computers.
>
>   Bsssst! Wrong! IBM-PC clones/compatibles are the Ford Model T of
>computers.  If I had to carry that analogy to extremes, I think that
>makes Amiga = Oldsmobile.

Question #7: What did you have for breakfast this morning?
	Jack Germond:

Toast and Eggs.

WRONG!

French Toast.

WRONG!

Pancakes.

WRONG! The answer is Hash Browns and Corned Beef. Bye bye!

(Sorry, but John McGloughlin is a GREAT target!)

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <EACHUS.91Apr1115118@aries.mitre.org> eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:
> In article <1991Mar31.182044.27856@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>    The IBM-PC clones are already the Chevy of computers.

>    Bsssst! Wrong! IBM-PC clones/compatibles are the Ford Model T of
> computers.

What does that make my Xerox 820? A bicycle? BZZZT! Wrong!

> If I had to carry that analogy to extremes, I think that
> makes Amiga = Oldsmobile.

Oh barf. Barf city. I wouldn't take an Olds on a bet. The Mac is like
the Olds: a car for people who don't really want a car.

The Amiga, on this scale, is a Maserati Biturbo, or a 'vette.

Yeh, and the Compaq is a Ford Tempo. And the Atari ST is a Mercury. And the
Nintendo Game Boy is a Moped, and the Atari Lynx is a Kawasaki Ninja, and
Dan Quayle is a VW Beetle. And George Bush is a VW Jetta. And Ronald Reagan
is a Karmann Ghia. And I'm a tugboat. Toot! Toot!
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Anarchy for Peace) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.192634.26707@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>The Amiga, on this scale, is a Maserati Biturbo, or a 'vette.

Yeah, fast, trimmed down, but when you hit a bump, you FEEL it.
:-)

--
Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.192634.26707@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Yeh, and the Compaq is a Ford Tempo. And the Atari ST is a Mercury. And the
>Nintendo Game Boy is a Moped, and the Atari Lynx is a Kawasaki Ninja, and
>Dan Quayle is a VW Beetle. And George Bush is a VW Jetta. And Ronald Reagan
>is a Karmann Ghia. And I'm a tugboat. Toot! Toot!
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

WRONG!

You are an AMC Javelin!  :)

                                    NCW

vsolanoy@ozonebbs.UUCP (Victor Solanoy) (04/04/91)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

> I think that the truth is that many people confuse Amiga with Atari, at least
> on a deeper emotional level since most people have never actually seen or use
> an Amiga.  Amiga Unix and the Toaster will help give Amiga a stronger identit

I actually found it funny when I was just playing with DPAINT, how many
people that I was working with a Macintosh...  I think if people see the
graphic aspect of Amiga, they think it's an Apple Macintosh, while if they
see the games, they may mistake it for an Atari... or better yet Amiga.

I don't think the real problem is that the Amiga is percieved as a game
machine (isn't this what multi-media is all about? 8) )  But that the Amiga
is battling an industry of set standards.

With so many machines established in certain aspects of the computing
market, more specifically, the niche that fills the 'personal' computer
market, there are two main forces involved: IBM and Apple with its
Macintosh.

Macintosh just came along at the right time when computers started to
dominate certain parts of the 'world.'  It had a pretty graphics enviroment
that people weren't intimidated with.  Probably its earlier release (I think
it was released earlier than the Amiga), and an aggresive advertising
campaign, it won out...  Of coarse, the first Mac... (can you say LISA?) was
a complete flop (probably because of price)....

The way I see things, the Amiga is what the Mac was to DTP just a couple
years ago.

  Victor

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar31.182044.27856@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>The IBM-PC clones are already the Chevy of computers.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

No way, to qualify as the "Chevy" it has to be manufactured by a single
manufacturer.  Chevys are not known for any "architectural" distinction.
It's the name-brand recognition that sets them apart.  You would have to
pick out a specific clone manufacturer to call "Chevy".

Clones are more like Yugos or Hyundais.  Leave out the A/C and make the
bumpers paper-thin; just crank them out and keep 'em dirt cheap.

If you want an automobile analogy I'd say that the Mac was a Cadillac;
low "performance" for price - expensive name plate - but it takes the
"bumps" real nice - and the baseline model comes with power seats.   ;^)
Performance is sacrificed in favor of comfort.

The NeXT is a DeLorean - full-featured; high-performance - if you can get one.

Actually in Europe the Amiga has no problem claiming the title of "Chevy".
It's only in the USA that this analogy becomes more difficult to make.

And it isn't really *that* far off in the USA; one of the things I remember
about my Chevy (I drive an Accord now) was how easy (and cheap) it was to
turn a fairly tame machine into a fire-breathing pavement chewer.  I don't
know of any other computer that you can start out so cheap in and
progressively "hot-rod" your way up the power scale so easilly.  With
most other computers there is no way to upgrade processor power in any way
approaching the flexibility of the Amiga.  Those that do allow this feature
generally do not do it as well or as cheaply as the Amiga does.
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com

In article <1991Apr03.224953.21366@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>If you want an automobile analogy I'd say that the Mac was a Cadillac;
>
>Actually in Europe the Amiga has no problem claiming the title of "Chevy".

Please, when using such analogies, consider also that we Europeans are
doing very hard to understand them: For us *every* Chevy or Cadillac
are BIG, HUGE street cruisers that don't fit on our narrow streets
here. But reading between the lines I guess that "Chevy" stands for
"cheap" and "Cadillac" for "expensive/luxury"? Is that true?
(Sorry, such things are not taught at school :-)

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.192634.26707@sugar.hackercorp.com>
  peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Yeh, and the Compaq is a Ford Tempo. And the Atari ST is a Mercury. And the
>Nintendo Game Boy is a Moped, and the Atari Lynx is a Kawasaki Ninja, and
>Dan Quayle is a VW Beetle. And George Bush is a VW Jetta. And Ronald Reagan
>is a Karmann Ghia. And I'm a tugboat. Toot! Toot!

Waiter!  I'll have what Peter's having! ;-)

--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/05/91)

In article <1056@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <1991Apr03.224953.21366@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>
>>If you want an automobile analogy I'd say that the Mac was a Cadillac;
>>
>>Actually in Europe the Amiga has no problem claiming the title of "Chevy".
>
>Please, when using such analogies, consider also that we Europeans are
>doing very hard to understand them: For us *every* Chevy or Cadillac
>are BIG, HUGE street cruisers that don't fit on our narrow streets
>here. But reading between the lines I guess that "Chevy" stands for
>"cheap" and "Cadillac" for "expensive/luxury"? Is that true?
>(Sorry, such things are not taught at school :-)

Yes, the Chevy and Cadillac are both owned by General Motors.

Cadillac is the big luxury car.  Chevrolet did make some big cars, it is true,
but the majority of them have been the smaller sedans.

When I think of Chevy I think of the Camaro (that was my Chevy), the Nova,
the Chevette, the Chevelle, and the Malabu.  All were smaller models (mostly
2-door) that had a lot of potential for cheap power.  Of course you could
always hot-rod a Ford or a Chrysler, but nothing was as cheap and easy to
build as a Chevy small-block 350 (of course you can still do this today, but
these engines are not going into new automobiles today).  Then there is the
Corvette.  This is the expensive Chevy.

Sorry for the confusion.  To be more precise I should actually say that the
Amiga performs in the European PC market in a manner analogous to Chevrolet
in the US automobile market.  ;^)

BTW, if you have ever driven a 1969 model Camaro, you will have no trouble
recognising that you are not in a Cadillac.  ;^)  You could flatten vertabrae
going over bumps in that thing  (of course after 22 years suspensions get less
springy).
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com

And when I think of a "chevy" I think "Cheap commodity car". I don't think
of the Camaro and Corvette as "Chevys"... they're "GM sports cars". When
the Chevy Nova is a relabeled Toyota, the IBM-PC analogy becomes quite exact.

But, hey, I'm not a car nut. What does a tug-boat know about cars anyway?

Toot toot.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil (04/05/91)

In article <EACHUS.91Apr1115118@aries.mitre.org>, eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:
> In article <1991Mar31.182044.27856@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>    The IBM-PC clones are already the Chevy of computers.
>
>    Bsssst! Wrong! IBM-PC clones/compatibles are the Ford Model T of
> computers.  If I had to carry that analogy to extremes, I think that
> makes Amiga = Oldsmobile.

Hey!  I think you're right!  I own an Amiga computer, and I drive an Oldsmobile
car!  We could be on to something here!  Any other Amiga owners drive
Oldsmobiles?

-Ralph

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.121638.8966@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>And when I think of a "chevy" I think "Cheap commodity car". I don't think
>of the Camaro and Corvette as "Chevys"... they're "GM sports cars". When
>the Chevy Nova is a relabeled Toyota, the IBM-PC analogy becomes quite exact.
                                 [...]

Well, you can think this all you want, but Chevy is nothing but short for
Chevrolet.  Since all these vehicles are manufactured by Chevrolet and carry
the Chevrolet name, they are Chevys.  (And I am still thinking of the GM of
10 years ago, before they started contracting their models out to competitors).

Here you go:

Nova     <-> A500
Camaro   <-> A2000
Corvette <-> A3000

But with the right engine the Nova could beat the stock 'vette.  ;^)
            _.

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/06/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

> In article <1991Apr03.224953.21366@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warr
> >
> >If you want an automobile analogy I'd say that the Mac was a Cadillac;
> >
> >Actually in Europe the Amiga has no problem claiming the title of "Chevy".
>
> Please, when using such analogies, consider also that we Europeans are
> doing very hard to understand them: For us *every* Chevy or Cadillac
> are BIG, HUGE street cruisers that don't fit on our narrow streets
> here. But reading between the lines I guess that "Chevy" stands for
> "cheap" and "Cadillac" for "expensive/luxury"? Is that true?
> (Sorry, such things are not taught at school :-)
>
> --
> Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions..
> Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peter

er, Cadillac - Big Mercedes?
Chevy - They build the ZR-1 Corvette - you know the one, not as fast as
an F40 or 959, but about 1/4th the cost.

rory

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/06/91)

> But with the right engine the Nova could beat the stock 'vette.  ;^)
>             _.
Try turning a corner in that Nova.

rory

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.121638.8966@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

    (computer=car sstuff exhausted)

> But, hey, I'm not a car nut. What does a tug-boat know about cars anyway?
>
> Toot toot.
> --
> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'

       Aren't you glad you're a tugboat and not a ferry???

 Jean                       |      Lemmings is nothing more than an
 werjun@large              / \     existentialist metaphor for the
 cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  \ /     great cosmic rat race we call life.

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (04/07/91)

I know this is not Amiga-stuff but sice I happened to think about this
just today...

In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

> Nova     <-> A500
> Camaro   <-> A2000
> Corvette <-> A3000

NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)

		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
> Well, you can think this all you want, but Chevy is nothing but short for
> Chevrolet.

That's fine.

> Since all these vehicles are manufactured by Chevrolet and carry
> the Chevrolet name, they are Chevys.  (And I am still thinking of the GM of
> 10 years ago, before they started contracting their models out to competitors).

Of course. The company doesn't deserve the same name any more.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

chopps@ro-chp.UUCP (Chris Hopps) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.200815.5866@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>I know this is not Amiga-stuff but sice I happened to think about this
>just today...
>

>In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>
>> Nova     <-> A500
>> Camaro   <-> A2000
>> Corvette <-> A3000
>
>NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)
>
>		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

Ok fine, then what's a Cray II? the damn bud rocket car?

--
                  ------------------------
    The Royal Oak Chophouse    Chris Hopps

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.200815.5866@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>I know this is not Amiga-stuff but sice I happened to think about this
>just today...
>

>In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>
>> Nova     <-> A500
>> Camaro   <-> A2000
>> Corvette <-> A3000
>
>NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)
>
>		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

Now you're talking.  ...and if software were highways, you could drive NeXT
all around Tuscany.  But hey ...Tuscany is beautiful country ...birth place of
the Renaisance and eternal domain of Bacchus, the god of wine.  I hope to go
there someday. ...in my  A3000UX.

                                         NCW

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/07/91)

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

> I know this is not Amiga-stuff but sice I happened to think about this
> just today...
>

> In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve War
> >
> > Nova     <-> A500
> > Camaro   <-> A2000
> > Corvette <-> A3000
>
> NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)
>
> 		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

a3000 w/'040 Ruf Twin Turbo 911
Silicon Graphics Iris wkstn - F-16

rory

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (04/08/91)

In article <ikB2Z2w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) writes:
>jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>
>> In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve War
>> >
>> > Nova     <-> A500
>> > Camaro   <-> A2000
>> > Corvette <-> A3000
>>
>> NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)
>>
>> 		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland
>
>a3000 w/'040 Ruf Twin Turbo 911

Ah, no, sorry.  The Ruf actually exists.

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/08/91)

  writes:
>In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com
  (Steve Warren) writes:

>> Nova     <-> A500
>> Camaro   <-> A2000
>> Corvette <-> A3000
>
>NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)

Er...  Maybe with California emissions, bias-ply tires, no trunk, and Steve
Jobs as your repair man.  (I wouldn't let him near my computer, much less my
car.  Besides, I'll bet Woz is thinking about changing his first name...)

>		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

Greg

--

In article <1991Apr8.120630.22201@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu
  (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>In article <ikB2Z2w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us>
  judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) writes:

>>a3000 w/'040 Ruf Twin Turbo 911
>
>Ah, no, sorry.  The Ruf actually exists.

So does the 040 Amiga 3000.  Just because _you_ haven't seen one doesn't mean
it doesn't exist.  Using your logic, the NeXTDimension board doesn't exist
either.

Greg
--

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/09/91)

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

> In article <ikB2Z2w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithac
> >jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> >
> >> In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve

> >> NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)
> >>
> >> 		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland
> >
> >a3000 w/'040 Ruf Twin Turbo 911
>
> Ah, no, sorry.  The Ruf actually exists.
>
> Steve Wootton
> stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
> stevew@pur-ee.uucp
> stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

As a modified car with present parts.  The 3000 exists, so does the '040.
All yougotta dois put em together.  I'm sure there are a few out there at
CBM, GVP and Supra.

rory

bdaasp@urc.tue.nl (Sven Pechler) (04/09/91)

Did you know that there are some special newsgroups for talking about cars ?
(like: rec.autos, rec.autos.driving, rec.autos.sport, rec.autos.tech and
rec.autos.vw)
                                                                 Sven

> >NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)

A3000 <-> Ferrari GTO: a smarter application of horsepower.

(True Ferarri fans prefer the true bloodline of the 308 and GTO to the
 Yankee/Lambo throw-in-more-cylinders-and-displacement Testarossa)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr6.200815.5866@cc.helsinki.fi>, jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

> I know this is not Amiga-stuff but sice I happened to think about this
> just today...
>

> In article <1991Apr05.211659.26050@convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>
>> Nova     <-> A500
>> Camaro   <-> A2000
>> Corvette <-> A3000
>
> NeXTstation <-> Ferrari Testarossa (black, of course)
>
> 		Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

   Yeah, and a black Testarossa is easier to find as well,

               have fun anyway,
                                Russell

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/12/91)

>    Yeah, and a black Testarossa is easier to find as well,
>
>                have fun anyway,
>                                 Russell

Yeah? It doesn't have display Postcript!

Actually - the NeXT is an american car - make it go faster by adding more
cylinders and more cubic inches...

rory

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu (Feltch Master) (04/12/91)

In article <wLL0Z2w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) writes:

>>    Yeah, and a black Testarossa is easier to find as well,
>>
>>                have fun anyway,
>>                                 Russell
>
>Yeah? It doesn't have display Postcript!
>
>Actually - the NeXT is an american car - make it go faster by adding more
>cylinders and more cubic inches...
>
>rory
working on a NeXT right now...takes as long to get going with the terminal as it did to boot up original IBM PCs(very slight exaggeration)...nearly three minutes...
which could be easily attributed to the fact that I started two sessions at the same time!:)

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu   University of Washington, Seattle
"Reality is a cop-out for people who can't handle drugs"