[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Flights of fancy

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.155350.20444@convex.com>, Steve Warren writes:

> I wish...
>
> I wish that Commodore would redesign the A500 motherboard to utilize a 68020
> instead of a 68000.  Call it the A500+ or something.  Do the same with the
> A2000.  Include a socket for a 68881 chip.  They wouldn't need to bump up the
> memory bus to 32-bits; they could leave the motherboard memory just like it
> is.  The idea would be to have the 020 as the baseline processor for the Amiga
> line.

Bleych.

As a spoilt owner of a 30Mhz A3001+A2500, I consider anything less to be a
penance for past sins.

I wish for;

Virtually unlimited storage; Specifically, non self-destructing FRAM(*), a
terabyte should do, with another couple of terabytes of backup on some medium
that is really cheap to produce and use, tougher than old boots, and have a
very very low error-rate [if you got a couple of terabytes backed up, even 1
in 100,000,000,000 means that you'll have a couple of errors!].

Of course, this is the stuff of fantasy at this current moment. FRAM is new
and not very dense, and not in the least bit cheap. A terabyte for $100 is
what I call cheap. :-).

With so much storage/data, the CPU has to be able to get at it; currently the
68030 is limited to a 4Gigabyte address range. Bank switching sounds crass, so
lets calmly switch to 64bit processors - 2^64 is a heck of a lot of storage,
well, more than I can comfortably imagine (1.8*10^19 vs 1 terabyte which is
1*10^15)

Such a processor would also have to be FAST. Say 10Gflops. Even then, it would
take over a minute and a half to look at every location in memory, longer if
you wanted to look for a specific something :-)

Applications? Virtual reality, of course. With a terabyte to play with, you
can do a whole slew of stuff. Plug in and drop out.

Video, or rather, eye-computer interface, has to get a lot better.  Sound is
pretty well already at it's best.

The input end of interfacing -- well, keyboards are a little lame.  I'm just
not convinced that powergloves are going to be any better [besides, if you're
in a room with a virtually blinded D00D weilding powergloves, you have to give
them a WIDE berth!  "Personal space" would double.

Ah well. I can dream.

(*) FRAM is a type of memory that doesn't lose it's state when you remove
power.  It's already been developed [By some Australian company], and is
currently being sold in 2Kbyte chips.  I don't know if they have gotten around
the 'breakage' problem -- changing the state of each bit is accomplished by
changing the position of an atom inside a matrix of other atoms.  After a
couple of thousand million times, the atom 'breaks'.  To read the state of
each bit, you have to change it's state.

The article I read on FRAM six months ago, stated that an FRAM chip could be
induced to fail by programming a tight repeating loop, in something like six
days continuous execution of the program.

Since you don't lose data from FRAM [except by breaking it], you don't have to
have hard disks anymore - replace them all with FRAM. Access to data is then
limited by the speed of your memory<->cpu bus.

I firmly believe that nothing, but nothing, is ever fast enough.

Dac