[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] We Want PORTABLE!

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (04/08/91)

There are portable IBM-compatibles, a portable Mac and even a portable Atari...
So, just one question:

Why isn't there a portable AMIGA ???!!!  Is it technically impossible...?

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.230814.5885@cc.helsinki.fi> ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>There are portable IBM-compatibles, a portable Mac and even a portable Atari...
>So, just one question:
>
>Why isn't there a portable AMIGA ???!!!  Is it technically impossible...?

>  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
>                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
>                   Fax +358-0-4735426
>
>                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

  There are about 5 portable Amigas, two from the US and three from Germany.
However, only one of them was deemed acceptable for marketing by Commodore
itself, and they couldn't decide on a price from the private company, or
whatever happened, so Commodore never announced it. Most other portables
are in IBM cases, and are done privately. In fact, a few months ago Amiga
World announced it on the last page blurbs.

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (04/09/91)

From article <1991Apr7.230814.5885@cc.helsinki.fi>, by ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi:
> There are portable IBM-compatibles, a portable Mac and even a portable Atari...
> So, just one question:
>
> Why isn't there a portable AMIGA ???!!!  Is it technically impossible...?

In a word: YES. The basic problem is that the Ladies are still in horribly
power-hungry NMOS. When they finally make it to CMOS, it'll be simple to
create low-power versions.

And of course there's the fact that color LCD displays are still pretty
darn expensive, and current monochrome LCD's aren't really acceptable for
most Amiga software...

Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr7.230814.5885@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> There are portable IBM-compatibles, a portable Mac and even a portable Atari...

	The portable Atari isn't really a portable...it doesn't have the
ability to run without being plugged in.  No batteries.  There was supposed
to be a way to run it off a bunch of d-cells, but that was so cumbersome that
the idea was dropped.

I think there is a simple reason for the absence of a portable Amiga..no
perceived market.  To small a base.

holgerl@amiux.UUCP (Holger Lubitz) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr8.155643.14715@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>  There are about 5 portable Amigas, two from the US and three from Germany.

And who told you THAT ?

The only portable having been in the works around here that I know of
was the one that was rumoured to be done by Gigatron.
Could you provide further information on the others you are talking about ?

Thanks in advance,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz            | holgerl@amiux.uucp
Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24 | holgerl@amiux.han.de

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (04/13/91)

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr7.230814.5885@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>> There are portable IBM-compatibles, a portable Mac and even a portable Atari...
>
>	The portable Atari isn't really a portable...it doesn't have the
>ability to run without being plugged in.  No batteries.  There was supposed
>to be a way to run it off a bunch of d-cells, but that was so cumbersome that
>the idea was dropped.
>
>I think there is a simple reason for the absence of a portable Amiga..no
>perceived market.  To small a base.

I have a market for it.  business!  I've seriously thought of taking my old
500 (when i had it) apart and trying to stuff it into a portable case.  this
way i could easily bring it into work with me, and get work done on the Amigga
when i had time, or even use it to show my superiors the quality of the amiga.
 Imagine if everyone started bringing their portable amiga's into work.
imagine how much exposure it will get to busineses.  I have spare time at work
and would love the ability to work on projects without lugging the 2500 into
work.

UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil
INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (04/16/91)

In article <4588@orbit.cts.com>, chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) writes:
> sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:
>>In article <1991Apr7.230814.5885@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>> There are portable IBM-compatibles, a portable Mac and even a portable Atari...
>>
>>	The portable Atari isn't really a portable...it doesn't have the
>>ability to run without being plugged in.  No batteries.  There was supposed
>>to be a way to run it off a bunch of d-cells, but that was so cumbersome that
>>the idea was dropped.
>>
>>I think there is a simple reason for the absence of a portable Amiga..no
>>perceived market.  To small a base.
>

> I have a market for it.  business!  I've seriously thought of taking my old
> 500 (when i had it) apart and trying to stuff it into a portable case.  this
> way i could easily bring it into work with me, and get work done on the Amigga
> when i had time, or even use it to show my superiors the quality of the amiga.
>  Imagine if everyone started bringing their portable amiga's into work.
> imagine how much exposure it will get to busineses.  I have spare time at work
> and would love the ability to work on projects without lugging the 2500 into
> work.
>
> UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks
> ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil
> INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org

	The question remains, however, as to how large a market made up of
people like you or I (I would want one too) really is, and wether or not that
justifies the expenditure/motherboard redesign it would take to truly make the
Amiga portable.  I've heard that the NMOS chips in the Amiga are power hungry,
and that it would take a chip redesign to truly allow portable power (correct
me someone, if I'm wrong); also, I don't know if the LCD display technology
exists to cheaply put together an Amiga that could use Amiga graphics.
	The other option would be to create a luggagable perversion without
battery power like Atari's STacy, and I don't know if this would be
worth the effort; perhaps with an internal HD like ICD's ADIDE it might work.

aem406@unhd.unh.edu (Anthony E Michniewicz) (04/18/91)

An LCD screen probably wouldn't be able to handle the Amiga's color, but how
about a MictoTip screen.  Sure, they are still in the development stage, but
once they are released, C= (or some one else?) would be able to make a killer
portable amiga.  Besides... by the time the MicroTip screens become widely
available, the amiga's custom chips would probably be in CMOS.

			-Just my humble opinion...

				Gabe Thomas
				G_THOMAS@UNHH.UNH.EDU

	-So what if I'm not using my own account  :-)