[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Is it "lazy" to want to boot a game from HD? Re: Mike Farren Tutorial.

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (04/01/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>> Speaking of lazy, I think it is lazy to not want to stick a floppy
>> disk in the drive to play the game.

>Um, tell you what, you come over and find a way to organize my ~1000
>floppy disks in a way that makes that game as convenient to find and
>load as six mouse clicks to open the Play: window, the individual game

Not to mention that playing a game of hd is more fun, because you spend
less time waiting for the game and subsequent screens and data and music
to load and can spend more time playing. Floppies are just too slow.

When I want to play a game, I usually copy it to the HD then play it
( I dont have enough HD space to store the games on it permenantly)
after I finish, I delete the game from the HD. That is far from 'Lazy'
, matter of fact, I go to a lot of extra trouble so I don't have to
'stick a floppy in the drive to play the game'.

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix

terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) (04/05/91)

In <1991Apr1.084502.15579@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Um, tell you what, you come over and find a way to organize my ~1000
>floppy disks in a way that makes that game as convenient to find and
>load as six mouse clicks to open the Play: window, the individual game
>window, and start the game, and I'll start listening to you.

~1000 * 880k... hmm guess you gotta big HD hey!

Lets remember that until BIG HD become a cheap reality floppies are going
to remain quite usefull..  I mean how many games would you keep on your HD?
What happens when you want to play one of those old games that arent on your
HD? Dont suppose you copy it across just for one play..?

I agree that those annoying protection methods of code-wheel etc are bloody
stupid.. and not exactly fail-safe, I mean I saw a photo of the code wheel
for Falcon, so why bother?

terminal.

 terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>> Um, tell you what, you come over and find a way to organize my ~1000
>> floppy disks in a way that makes that game as convenient to find and
>> load as six mouse clicks to open the Play: window, the individual
>> game window, and start the game, and I'll start listening to you.

> ~1000 * 880k... hmm guess you gotta big HD hey!

How I wish!  205 meg.

> Let's remember that until BIG HD become a cheap reality floppies are
> going to remain quite usefull..

Yep; most of my floppies are PD computer club archives, USENet
downloads, saved email, personal software development disks, etc.,
almost all of it compressed within an inch of its life. I'd sure _like_
to be able to keep the lot online, uncompressed, but flopticals have to
get a lot, lot cheaper first; I'm doing this on a beer budget.

I mean how many games would you keep on your HD?

I keep about 30 megabytes of games on it just now, which is more games
than it sounds like, since they share all the CBM code in my C:
directory; several the vendor had no thought of making HD installable,
but left the OS around so I could do it with IconX and some assigns and
homebrew icons, and that rare few that were coded to be HD installable
from the beginning.

> What happens when you want to play one of those old games that arent
> on your HD? Dont suppose you copy it across just for one play..?

Fact is, as I've posted several times, once you get used to a HD, all
the other games are floppies waiting to be reformatted; I just don't use
them _at_ _all_ any more; it is _so_ much simpler to just click on a
couple of icons than to wade through boxes of floppies trying to
remember where I put some old "grab the machine" game.

> I agree that those annoying protection methods of code-wheel etc are
> bloody stupid.. and not exactly fail-safe, I mean I saw a photo of the
> code wheel for Falcon, so why bother?

There's no such thing as fail safe copy protection; if it runs on my machine,
my machine is able to read it, so I can write another problem to read it,
and a program to write it too.  If it runs as code _in_ my machine, then I
can modify that code.  This is why so many games are pirated the hour they
hit the street; copy protection simply has too many vulnerable points.

Kent, the man from xanth.

terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) (04/18/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

> terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) writes:
>> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>>> Um, tell you what, you come over and find a way to organize my ~1000
>>> floppy disks in a way that makes that game as convenient to find and
>>> load as six mouse clicks to open the Play: window, the individual
>>> game window, and start the game, and I'll start listening to you.

>> ~1000 * 880k... hmm guess you gotta big HD hey!

>How I wish!  205 meg.

>> Let's remember that until BIG HD become a cheap reality floppies are
>> going to remain quite usefull..

>Yep; most of my floppies are PD computer club archives, USENet
>downloads, saved email, personal software development disks, etc.,
>almost all of it compressed within an inch of its life. I'd sure _like_
>to be able to keep the lot online, uncompressed, but flopticals have to
>get a lot, lot cheaper first; I'm doing this on a beer budget.

>I mean how many games would you keep on your HD?

>I keep about 30 megabytes of games on it just now, which is more games
>than it sounds like, since they share all the CBM code in my C:
>directory; several the vendor had no thought of making HD installable,
>but left the OS around so I could do it with IconX and some assigns and
>homebrew icons, and that rare few that were coded to be HD installable
>from the beginning.

>> What happens when you want to play one of those old games that arent
>> on your HD? Dont suppose you copy it across just for one play..?

>Fact is, as I've posted several times, once you get used to a HD, all
>the other games are floppies waiting to be reformatted; I just don't use
>them _at_ _all_ any more; it is _so_ much simpler to just click on a
>couple of icons than to wade through boxes of floppies trying to
>remember where I put some old "grab the machine" game.

Fact is, when your HD is constantly 99% full you're not going to get much
on it..

Basically it would be nice if all games could be HD installable.. And its
_REALLY_ annoying when games that have a HD install icon wont install on a
HD!!  But untill HD's become so expensive that we wont end up with 99% full
HD's then those games that arent installable shouldnt just be passed off
because of it.. If we dont buy these games then our industry isnt going to
get much better..

terminal