[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] No more AMIGA section in COMPUTER SHOPPER....

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) (02/10/91)

    Well, it looks like a MS-DOS, Mac world out there, at least according
to Computer Shopper.  Is it just my copy or is the Amiga section dead.
Yeah, that must be it, a vengeful Mac person visited my mailbox and cut out
all the Amiga articles.
    This sucks.  I was kind of glad they killed off their "Classic" section
and the ST section (snicker), but I guess I was celebrating too soon.  They
probably planned to ax the Amiga section all along.
    I'd drop my subscription in protest, but the Amiga section was pretty
lame (I was mainly subscribing for the ads).  Still, the Amiga is getting
about as bad of a coverage as it is.  It can hardly afford to lose more.
                                    Later,
                                    Jason

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) (02/10/91)

     Sorry, I forgot to mention I was looking at the March issue which
just came in today.
     Someone has suggested to me by email that maybe they just dropped it
for a month due to some problem....   Yeah, sure, but let's hope it's a
mistake, unlikely as it may be.
     I know somebody is going to suggest a letter writing campaign, but
it's unlikely that it will work.  They got plenty of hate mail after killing
their other sections, and it didn't do much good either.  Of course, this
is the AMIGA we are talking about....the only computer among the ones killed
in Computer Shopper w/ a fast growing user base, but do they care?
                                  Jason

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (02/14/91)

   No, you're wrong, letter writing compaigns DO work.  I can dig up
lots of evidence, if you like, but I haven't the time right now.

   By all means, write to Computer Shopper and nicely suggest that you
missed the Amiga column, that it's one of the reasons you buy/read the
Shopper, one of the reasons you recommend the shopper to others and you
will be less/not inclined to buy it in the future if the lack of Amiga
coverage continues.

   A lot of people wrote to Byte complaining (I'm one of them) and believe
me, they were listening.  I actually got a return phone call from them.
No kidding.
                                                    J. Petersen

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (02/14/91)

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>   No, you're wrong, letter writing compaigns DO work.  I can dig up
>lots of evidence, if you like, but I haven't the time right now.

Yes, that's right.  I know of political issues where a congressman's
vote was decided by three letters -- two for and one against.  His
constituants told him by a 2-to-1 margin how they felt, and he voted
that way.  Magazines listen, too!

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) (02/17/91)

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) writes:

>Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>>   No, you're wrong, letter writing compaigns DO work.  I can dig up
>>lots of evidence, if you like, but I haven't the time right now.

>Yes, that's right.  I know of political issues where a congressman's
>vote was decided by three letters -- two for and one against.  His
>constituants told him by a 2-to-1 margin how they felt, and he voted
>that way.  Magazines listen, too!
>

>--
>Dan Griffin
     Letter writing campaigns may work sometimes, but if we want CS to keep
the Amiga section, it's going to have to be a hell of a response.  Believe
me, when their Apple, C-64 and ST sections were snuffed, they got plenty of
letters, some of which they published, but is their such a response in the
Amiga community?  I posted the earlier message about a week ago, and only
two people have bothered discussing it, let alone send a letter to CS.

                                C'est la vie,
                                      Jason

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (02/17/91)

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) writes:
>     Letter writing campaigns may work sometimes, but if we want CS to keep
>the Amiga section, it's going to have to be a hell of a response.  Believe
>me, when their Apple, C-64 and ST sections were snuffed, they got plenty of
>letters, some of which they published, but is their such a response in the
>Amiga community?  I posted the earlier message about a week ago, and only
>two people have bothered discussing it, let alone send a letter to CS.

I thought someone mentioned that it was only a temporary column lapse?
Forgot who said it; perhaps somebody on CIS.  Dunno if true or not.

Those other computers now have sections in that Shopper clone magazine, btw.
Computer Buyer, I think it's called.  best - kev  <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (04/15/91)

Well, if the Amiga was snuffed out of Computer Shopper because its advertisors
didn't support it, then the Mac should get snuffed too.  I have one old (I
don't have reason to buy Computer Shopper regularily) issue of Computer
Shopper here and there isn't one single Mac ad in the whole thing. Just
nothing but IBM Compatibles.  As far as I'm concerned Computer Shopper can
snuff whatever it wants, I don't buy it much anyway.  And I think most Amiga
owners have never bought it.

* "The personal computer market is about the same size as the total potato *
* chip market.  Next year it will be about half the size of the pet food   *
* market and is fast approaching the total worldwide sales of pantyhose"   *
*  -James Finke, Pres., Commodore Int'l Ltd.(1982)-                        *
Roger Earl = Usenet: roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca = GEnie: R.Earl4

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (04/19/91)

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:

>... As far as I'm concerned Computer Shopper can
>snuff whatever it wants, I don't buy it much anyway.
>And I think most Amiga owners have never bought it.

But the people who are going to buy a computer DO read it.  The Amiga
does not "exist" if there are no mainstream references to it.  I have
the premier issue of Amiga world but I never got an Amiga till several
years later because I rarely saw any references to it elsewhere.  The
possiblilty of getting an orphaned product is a very strong demotivator
for most people.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato