[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga still flickers!!!!!!!!!!!

cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.170916.19905@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>[why is it, that Marc always pops up when the Mac is mentioned.]
>  This is bound to start another M*c vs Amiga war, but I don't think
>the Mac is a desktop video platform. I'm also tired of hearing
>these sissy arguement about flicker, somepeople must have weak eyes. :-)

If C= ever had a machine that didn't flicker at all, we'd stop
complaining.  I have a friend who manned a Amiga stand at a local
computer show with a Amiga 2500/30 and an Amiga 2000.  They were showing
the picture of the astronaunt (which barely flickers at all), and every
one who saw it said 'hey that flickers!'.  It didn't look good compared
to the 386 svga in the other booth.  Even the 3000 flickers on a Nec 3d!
AND PEOPLE DO NOTICE IT!!!!  People are not impressed when you tell them
'oh, you can buy this card to fix it up', or run in 640*200...

BTW, they didn't have a 2320 on it because they have to be imported from
the US, as C= won't sell them here.

--
Colin Adams
Computer Science Department                     James Cook University

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/19/91)

cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) writes:
>If C= ever had a machine that didn't flicker at all, we'd stop
>complaining.  I have a friend who manned a Amiga stand at a local
>computer show with a Amiga 2500/30 and an Amiga 2000.  They were showing
>the picture of the astronaunt (which barely flickers at all), and every
>one who saw it said 'hey that flickers!'.  It didn't look good compared
>to the 386 svga in the other booth.  Even the 3000 flickers on a Nec 3d!
>AND PEOPLE DO NOTICE IT!!!!  People are not impressed when you tell them
>'oh, you can buy this card to fix it up', or run in 640*200...
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've always thought that one of the great mistakes was the name "flickerFixer".
Always makes me cringe when I see someone asking about Amigas, and people
respond with "...and you should get a flickerfixer, also, for $xxx".
Makes it sound like something's wrong, when it isn't.

CBM had the better idea with "display enhancer".  Still sounds like a fix tho.

Personally, I prefer something like "alternative display mode" ;-)

just a thought - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

In article <1991Apr19.033447.22674@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) writes:

>If C= ever had a machine that didn't flicker at all, we'd stop
>complaining.  I have a friend who manned a Amiga stand at a local
>computer show with a Amiga 2500/30 and an Amiga 2000.  They were showing
>the picture of the astronaunt (which barely flickers at all), and every
>one who saw it said 'hey that flickers!'.  It didn't look good compared
>to the 386 svga in the other booth.  Even the 3000 flickers on a Nec 3d!
>AND PEOPLE DO NOTICE IT!!!!  People are not impressed when you tell them
>'oh, you can buy this card to fix it up', or run in 640*200...

	My A3000 doesn't flicker when I look at it. Although
admittedly when I switched to a PAL WB screen that did. But my
724x480 WB screen is flicker-free. As to the top scan-line
flicker, that is only the left half of the upper scanline and
then only when the two scanlines differ in brightness.

>--
>Colin Adams
>Computer Science Department                     James Cook University
>Internet : cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au               North Queensland
>'And on the eight day, God created Manchester'

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/20/91)

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

> cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) writes:
> >If C= ever had a machine that didn't flicker at all, we'd stop
> >complaining.  I have a friend who manned a Amiga stand at a local
> >computer show with a Amiga 2500/30 and an Amiga 2000.  They were showing
> >the picture of the astronaunt (which barely flickers at all), and every
> >one who saw it said 'hey that flickers!'.  It didn't look good compared
> >to the 386 svga in the other booth.  Even the 3000 flickers on a Nec 3d!
> >AND PEOPLE DO NOTICE IT!!!!  People are not impressed when you tell them
> >'oh, you can buy this card to fix it up', or run in 640*200...
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I've always thought that one of the great mistakes was the name "flickerFixer
> Always makes me cringe when I see someone asking about Amigas, and people
> respond with "...and you should get a flickerfixer, also, for $xxx".
> Makes it sound like something's wrong, when it isn't.
>
> CBM had the better idea with "display enhancer".  Still sounds like a fix tho
>
> Personally, I prefer something like "alternative display mode" ;-)
>
> just a thought - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

Why not call it agraphics enhancer? Display enhncer, whtever. Better tha
Video Graphics ADAPTER. Sounds like a fix for something thatis not there.

rory

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.142757.21047@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Apr19.033447.22674@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) writes:
>>
>>If C= ever had a machine that didn't flicker at all, we'd stop
>>complaining.  I have a friend who manned a Amiga stand at a local
>>computer show with a Amiga 2500/30 and an Amiga 2000.  They were showing
>>the picture of the astronaunt (which barely flickers at all), and every
>>one who saw it said 'hey that flickers!'.  It didn't look good compared
>>to the 386 svga in the other booth.  Even the 3000 flickers on a Nec 3d!
>>AND PEOPLE DO NOTICE IT!!!!  People are not impressed when you tell them
>>'oh, you can buy this card to fix it up', or run in 640*200...
>>
>	My A3000 doesn't flicker when I look at it. Although
>admittedly when I switched to a PAL WB screen that did. But my
>724x480 WB screen is flicker-free. As to the top scan-line
>flicker, that is only the left half of the upper scanline and
>then only when the two scanlines differ in brightness.

  Earlier I suggested that people only have to turn down the contrast to get
flicker to disappear. Then I hooked my Amiga up to my roomate's 1084, and
now know that it flickers like hell! I have a Magnovox, and when I turn down
the contrast the flicker is not even noticable.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.