[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Hyper Functionality not provided by AREXX

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (04/24/91)

In article <2516@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, Kent D. Polk writes:

> I see no way that Arexx can provide this. AREXX is certainly nice &
> provides very badly needed capabilities, but comparing AREXX to PPIPC
> messaging is kind of like comparing a Hercules to a fully-armed F15 -
> they serve different purposes.

I don't see how you can expect Arexx to serve your specific purpose. It's a
script language [a damn nice one tho!], not a compilable code generator.

Which is my way of saying "I think you're being unfair."

I do realise that you're NOT advocating that Arexx should be able to do these
things, but even so, the purposeful manipulation of a scenario where Arexx is
so clearly inadequate for the task, is quite silly. Whoever needs this as
'proof' that Arexx can't do everything is evidently braindead.

Followups to comp.sys.amiga.flamewars, er, advocacy.

> Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882

Dac
--

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (04/25/91)

In article <1909ce37.ARN1b35@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au> dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au writes:
>In article <2516@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, Kent D. Polk writes:
>
>> I see no way that Arexx can provide this. AREXX is certainly nice &

[...]
>I do realise that you're NOT advocating that Arexx should be able to do these
>things, but even so, the purposeful manipulation of a scenario where Arexx is
>so clearly inadequate for the task, is quite silly. Whoever needs this as
>'proof' that Arexx can't do everything is evidently braindead.

Exactly.

No flame intended here, but I was simply responding to a posting which
appeared to say that AREXX WAS appropriate for tasks we were describing
in the "Hyper Functionality" thread. I also wasn't trying to provide a
"purposeful manipulation of a scenario", as this is exactly the type of
messaging abilities that several of us are wanting and developing.
Lastly, it isn't a scenario since it does exist. Not only does it
exist, but I depend on these capabilities daily for my internal and
contract research projects.

Most of my projects are unique, one-of-a-kind projects. Even though I
have developed systems on all sorts of platforms, I have found the
Amiga often provides me with the fastest, easiest environment for
implementing my experiments. I unfortunately don't use much commercial
software because virtually none of it provides the capability and
flexibility I need. In other words, a few pieces of software will
probably never suffice. I want a machine that respond to my needs in a
truly modular fashion.

Fortunately for me, the many excellent pieces provided by other Amiga
developers, and the extraordinary assistance provided by C= personnel
and the amiga UseNet community have allowed my worn-out old brain to
come up with some fairly usable stuff. I think that speaks very well of
a fascinating machine whose capabilities haven't really been explored.

I just wish more people would join in this exploration, as my canoe
doesn't hold very much and my paddle is wearing out :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent