[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] The WHAT Fish? <was Re: New baseline Amiga?>

niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (04/24/91)

Oh my, oh my...  I promised myself I'd never get into the `Let's all flame
Marc Barrett' frame of mind, but this just had to be said:

In article <1991Apr23.115648.3059@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>  -------------------------------------------------------------
> / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
>/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
>\ Wanted for foreign language courses at Iowa State: One    \
> \ Babble Fish.  Willing to pay Top Dollar.  If you have one \
    ^^^^^^
>  \ for sale, please respond to one of the above addresses.   \
>   -------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, Marc, ol' buddy, ol' pal, I'm afraid what you're looking for here is a
BABEL fish, as in the Tower of Babel?  You know, the one that God struck down
and then, as a punishment, scattered the people far and wide and made them all
speak different languages?

However, if you're ever in the market to sell the BABBLE fish, which produced
many inane ramblings to issue from your keyboard (and has, thankfully, been
mysteriously absent from your most recent postings [knock on wood!]), let me
know, as I've several friends who are unable to say anything inane and off the
wall and would probably benefit greatly from its' enchantments.  I'd take it
off of your hands for a competetive price, I think.

Just my $0.02, as they say...

-=* CWC
--
   )   _                | | But I like it when that        // | Free        _
|\/ | (_) |B | (_) (\/) * | lightning comes!!! -- The Cure Z7 | Yourself!_ //

v089pfrb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey C Murphy) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.225115.27882@nevada.edu>, niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes...

>Oh my, oh my...  I promised myself I'd never get into the `Let's all flame

 then don't

>Marc Barrett' frame of mind, but this just had to be said:
>
>In article <1991Apr23.115648.3059@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>
>>\ Wanted for foreign language courses at Iowa State: One    \
>> \ Babble Fish.  Willing to pay Top Dollar.  If you have one \
>    ^^^^^^
>Uh, Marc, ol' buddy, ol' pal, I'm afraid what you're looking for here is a
>BABEL fish, as in the Tower of Babel?  You know, the one that God struck down

Babble Fish. Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The fish
goes in your ear and translates any spoken language for you. Nothing
to do with the tower of  babel.

l8r
jm

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/24/91)

How utterly inane.....

The fish in Hitchhiker's Guide (at least the book and computer game
versions) is called the "Babel fish".

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

In article <72714@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v089pfrb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.225115.27882@nevada.edu>, niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes...
>>In article <1991Apr23.115648.3059@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>>
>>>\ Wanted for foreign language courses at Iowa State: One    \
>>> \ Babble Fish.  Willing to pay Top Dollar.  If you have one \
>>    ^^^^^^
>>Uh, Marc, ol' buddy, ol' pal, I'm afraid what you're looking for here is a
>>BABEL fish, as in the Tower of Babel?  You know, the one that God struck down

>Babble Fish. Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The fish
>goes in your ear and translates any spoken language for you. Nothing
>to do with the tower of  babel.

Of course it has something to do with the Tower of Babel.  You mean you didn't
get the joke?

Set the wayback machine for the Days of Legend.  This morning, we all spoke the
same, but there was this Tower of Babel incident, now we can't understand each
other.  That is, until Ford Prefect comes along and introduces mankind, or at
least Aurther Dent, to the Babel Fish.  Stick that baby in your ear, and it
solve the communication problem -- now everyone understands everyone else.
This, of course, is as well positive proof that God does not exist.
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (04/26/91)

v089pfrb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey C Murphy) writes:

>niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes...
>>>xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (trying to fool us with yet another name) writes:
>>> \ Babble Fish.  Willing to pay Top Dollar.  If you have one \
>>    ^^^^^^
>>Uh, Marc, ol' buddy, ol' pal, I'm afraid what you're looking for here is a
>>BABEL fish, as in the Tower of Babel?  You know, the one that God struck down

>Babble Fish. Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Funny.  The Hitchhiker's Guide that *I* have says Babel Fish.  Many times.
But then, we *are* talking about Marc Barrett, here, so perhaps "Babble"
is more appropriate.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us