[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] The "Consipiracy"

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (04/25/91)

Do you really believe that the management at either IBM or Microsoft has
the "smarts" to do that on purpose?  What really made the Intel/IBM joke-
box go was the collective stupidity of the CP/M-80 community, starting
with Digital Research, and including every hardware manufacturer I can
remember.  Even though CP/M-80 (and MP/M-80, which was much better than
the early MS-DOS, IMHO), had a binary standard for applications, if you
stuck to 8080 opcodes and BDOS, not BIOS, calls, there was no common
media for packaging applications.  The 8", SS SD, 128-byte sector format
was pretty portable, but everybodys DD and DS DD formats were different.
Worse, once 5.25" drives came out almost nobody used a common format, and
8" drives weren't packaged with, or even available for, many systems.

This doesn't even take into account there were some platforms where
the BDOS and BIOS locations weren't where they were supposed to be.

So, if you were a software vendor, like MicroPro (no catcalls, please),
PeachTree, etc., you couldn't package a product for easy, cheap, sale
and support.  However, since the stupid PC only had one format, originally,
packaging was easy.  And, if IBM was building the box, it was probably
going to be around for more than a couple of years, so you could build
PC-specific (not MS-DOS) software.  There were a few fairly nice MS-DOS
boxes around early on, like the Tandy 2000, but since they were so much
better than the PC or XT, they weren't strictly compatible, so, no soft-
ware vendors supported them, and they died.

By the way, the same type of stupidity has brought the [234]86 UNIX/XENIX
base to the forefront in sales.  If the 68K/UNIX vendors had had a media
and system call compatible standard, like we're getting 8 years later,
the software base for the 68K could have been so large that PC UNIX would
be almost non-existant.  Instead, we get an A3000UX with very few commercial
applications "ready-to-roll", and software vendors looking at the System
V/386 market, and salivating.

Dan Taylor
/* My opinions, not NCR's (obviously). */

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/26/91)

In article <908@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:
>Do you really believe that the management at either IBM or Microsoft has
>the "smarts" to do that on purpose?  What really made the Intel/IBM joke-
>
>Dan Taylor
>/* My opinions, not NCR's (obviously). */

I always wondered w IBM wasn't more protective of their name.  Computers
were and are marketed as 'IBM compaible' or as 'IBM clones' all over the
place and I am almost sure that IBM could have easily stopped this.  I can
remember when the IBM PC comercials were some of the most fequently run
comercials on TV.  That cost millions of dollars and then IBM let everyone
and their dog sell IBM compatibles.  Constrast that with Apple Computer and
the suits brought against microsoft and HP.

Also, how else can you explain the 68000 being around for so long before
Intel finally spit out the 2.  Contrast that with the more competitive
386vs 68030 and the 486 vs 68040 we see now.

Did you ever hear about all the coruption that was involved wit the trans-
continental rai?  It cost the country millions of dollars and involved
most members of congress who owned stock in phoney companies who won
phoney contractson the railroa.  This stuff goes on all the time.  Big
time coruption is the american way.

                                     NCW