[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Game ads in magazines

In article <1991Apr25.005525.2690@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

>The new Amiga World sure looked 'professional'.  ...not like issues in the
>past.  I can't remember for sure but I don't think any games were advertised
>in the new issue ...at least not in any big ads.

Well, do you judge a magazine only for the game ads in it? Then I must
tell you that the situation here in Germany is more relaxed. Every
professional computer magazine has at least 2 or 3 pages about games.
(Can't give exact data about game ads, don't read them normally.)
Well, the standard Amiga magazines provide definitely more. But you
can't say, Amiga mags are full of games and the PC mags aren't.
The world is not so simple b&w.

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/27/91)

In article <1164@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>Well, do you judge a magazine only for the game ads in it? Then I must
>tell you that the situation here in Germany is more relaxed. Every
>professional computer magazine has at least 2 or 3 pages about games.
>(Can't give exact data about game ads, don't read them normally.)
>Well, the standard Amiga magazines provide definitely more. But you
>can't say, Amiga mags are full of games and the PC mags aren't.
>The world is not so simple b&w.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

I had heard several complaints about all the game ads in the Amiga magazines
right here on the net.  Further, the CE department where I go to school is
in the market for some new computers and about the biggest argument against
Amiga is that it is percieved as a game machine.  Amiga World compared to
Mac World or some of the PC magazines does (did) seem to convey an image of
a computer designed and marketed for fun and games.  I like games.  I like
fun.  But I agreed with the complaints here on the net that Amiga needed at
least one reletively professional magazine.

Things probably are different here.  ???

I would imagine that most people in the US would agree that fewer game ads
in Amiga World is a good thing for Amiga's succuss as something besides a
game machine in the US.

                                         NCW