[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] AmigaUNIX applications

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr24.132313.13844@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

   I while back someone asked about available applications
   that run under AmigaUNIX:
   [from the latest AmigaTeX News, which I just received...]

   Amiga Unix TeX available!

      Radical Eye Software has also been hard at work on
   a port of TeX to Amiga Unix!  This software is now avail-
   able at $300; it can be supplied on either floppy disks or a

I don't really want to start a flame war is this group, but isn't this
the same version of TeX that you get free with the NeXT?

followup to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy.

-Mike

schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (04/28/91)

In article <16dGfii.1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
<
<In article <1991Apr24.132313.13844@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

<   Amiga Unix TeX available!
<
<      Radical Eye Software has also been hard at work on
<   a port of TeX to Amiga Unix!  This software is now avail-
<   able at $300; it can be supplied on either floppy disks or a
<
<I don't really want to start a flame war is this group, but isn't this
<the same version of TeX that you get free with the NeXT?

AmigaTeX is a commercial, value-added, implementation of TeX.  It is not the
same as the freely redistributable TeX implementations that are available
for the Amiga and other platforms.

<-Mike

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/28/91)

In article <2159@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil> schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:

   <   Amiga Unix TeX available!
   <
   <      Radical Eye Software has also been hard at work on
   <   a port of TeX to Amiga Unix!  This software is now avail-
   <   able at $300; it can be supplied on either floppy disks or a
   <
   <I don't really want to start a flame war is this group, but isn't this
   <the same version of TeX that you get free with the NeXT?

   AmigaTeX is a commercial, value-added, implementation of TeX.  It is not the
   same as the freely redistributable TeX implementations that are available
   for the Amiga and other platforms.

NeXT distributes a version of TeX from Radical Eye Software, not the
freeware version.  It wouldn't mean much if they said Mathematica,
TeX, WriteNow, etc., if they were only giving you a version that
anyone could get.  I think that you do get more with the Amiga
version.  TeX and MetaFont are the only thing that the catalog claims
that NeXT ships.

-Mike

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (04/29/91)

From article <16dGfii.1@cs.psu.edu>, by melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger):
> In article <1991Apr24.132313.13844@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>       Radical Eye Software has also been hard at work on
>    a port of TeX to Amiga Unix!  This software is now avail-
>    able at $300; it can be supplied on either floppy disks or a
>
> I don't really want to start a flame war is this group, but isn't this
> the same version of TeX that you get free with the NeXT?

Not unless the version of TeX with the NeXT has a nice "X" previewer,
ability to include Amiga IFF images, a bunch of drivers for common Amiga
printers...

I'd probably use a PD TeX under Unix, though. Most of the stuff in AmigaTeX
deals with AmigaDOS-specific stuff (like Amiga IFF) that I wouldn't have
much use for under Unix.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg