[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] The Intel-bashers' bandwagon

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.054836.24876@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> hunter@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (James Gardiner [hunter]) writes:
>In <1991Apr23.201029.9844@wpi.WPI.EDU> jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) writes:
>
>>In article <20875@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>>Now does it all make sense?
>
>>Much clearer now :)
>>So how can the 80486 be explained?  I can't wait (grin)
>
>ie I hear Intel plan to bring out a 586 686 786 etc over the next few years.
>All slightly faster then the privious.  Keeps you buying the expensive monsters
>and also stops you from affording to experiment on other systems.

Ah, this 80586 would be the 66MHz cpu that runs some three times the speed
of the i486, has a full 64-bit internal and external bus, 386-compatible
coprocessor, and separate 8K I&D caches?  The one due out in 1992 that I
keep reading about these days?

It sounds a touch more than "slightly faster," and will probably be priced
WAY out of the PC clone market.  At least for a couple of months, anyway.

Or were you talking about some other 586?

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet