[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] MIPS

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (04/23/91)

In article <hpdG+zeu1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>The 1+ has a few MIPS on the 040.
>WRONG.  The Sparc 1+ is rated 15mips and so is the 68040.

	I was under the impression that RISC MIPS and CISC MIPS are not
directly comparable like this.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/23/91)

In article <8107@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

   In article <hpdG+zeu1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
   >>The 1+ has a few MIPS on the 040.
   >WRONG.  The Sparc 1+ is rated 15mips and so is the 68040.

	   I was under the impression that RISC MIPS and CISC MIPS are not
   directly comparable like this.

Actually, the best way to compare performance is with SPECmarks.  CISC
instructions in general do more than RISC instructions.  Therefore a
15 mip CISC(the NeXT) is probably a little faster than a 15 mip
RISC(Sparc 1+).  Although, I did have an instructor that said the
difference in the amount of work done by a CISC instructions in
comparison to RISC instruction is overemphasized.

To sum it it, look at the SPECmarks.  Mips are lies.

-Mike

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (04/23/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <8107@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>   In article <hpdG+zeu1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>   >>The 1+ has a few MIPS on the 040.
>   >WRONG.  The Sparc 1+ is rated 15mips and so is the 68040.

>	   I was under the impression that RISC MIPS and CISC MIPS are not
>   directly comparable like this.

>Actually, the best way to compare performance is with SPECmarks.  CISCS

Just for everyones record:  (off comp.arch)

							no cache
			68040	486	SPARC330	68040

Integer gcc		13.8	13.8	13.8		12.4
	espresso	13.4	12.2	11.6		12.8
	li		15.5	16.8	11.2		14.9
	eqntott		 9.8	11.0	12.6		 9.7

FP	spice2g6	13.1	 8.8	11.4		11.8
	doduc		 8.1	 5.8	 9.5		 7.7
	nasa7		12.1	 5.8	14.0		11.5
	matrix3000	11.5	 9.5	14.7		10.8
	fpppp		13.4	 7.0	13.1		12.1
	tomcatv		 9.1	 4.3	 8.2		 8.4

Means	SPECmark	11.8	 8.8	11.8		11.0
	Integer		12.9	13.3	12.3		12.3
	FP		11.0	 6.6	11.6		10.2

All three are at 25mhz with 128k cache
Note that SUN SS1+ is only 10.0 specmark (25mhz, 64kb cache)

True, RISC has a MUCH higher instruction bandwidth than CISC.  Still,
in the experimental end, CISC (in the literal sense) is comming back in
machines such as RS/6000, and HP cobras.  They have a lengthy instruction
set where complicated instructions (such as fused multiply-add) are shown
to improve performance.  I feel that the big loss in traditional CISC is
in sticking architectural baggage on every new generation.

Nick Trennedick (sp) mentioned that its highly intimidating to chase obscure
quirks in the previous generation and have to implement them.

Spare the flames against SPECmark and benchmarks.

On the other hand, Im no architect expert (FAR cry from architect mongo level), so flame away!

Mongo just pawn in chess game of life.
Bye,
	Doug
--
 Doug Dyer        ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

dwboyce@acsu.buffalo.edu (Doug Boyce) (04/23/91)

In article <8107@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <hpdG+zeu1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>>The 1+ has a few MIPS on the 040.
>>WRONG.  The Sparc 1+ is rated 15mips and so is the 68040.
>
>	I was under the impression that RISC MIPS and CISC MIPS are not
>directly comparable like this.

Another thing is that the 68040 is blurring the line between CISC and RISC.
A RISC chip is supposedly one that executes one instruction per clock
cycle. The '040 averages 1.3 instructions per, making them more similar
than dissimilar (in this specific instance).

--
Doug Boyce    dwboyce@acsu.buffalo.edu

"Speedballs are interesting if you aren't the cannoneer doing the running."
"Where's that Lotto ticket, I want a NeXT NoW!"

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/24/91)

In a message From: dwboyce@acsu.buffalo.edu (Doug Boyce)

>>>WRONG.  The Sparc 1+ is rated 15mips and so is the 68040.
>>
>>	I was under the impression that RISC MIPS and CISC MIPS are not
>>directly comparable like this.
>
>Another thing is that the 68040 is blurring the line between CISC and RISC.
>A RISC chip is supposedly one that executes one instruction per clock
>cycle. The '040 averages 1.3 instructions per, making them more similar
>than dissimilar (in this specific instance).

According to Motorola's Technical Data sheet on the MC68040:

"o 20 MIP Integer Performance
 o 3.5 MFLOP Floating-Point Performance
 o IEEE 754-Compatible FPU
 o Independent Instruction and Data MMUs
 o 4K-Byte Physical Instruction Cache and 4K-Byte Physical Data Cache
   Accessed Simultaneously
 o 32-Bit, Nonmultiplexed External Address and Data Buses with Synchronous
   Interface
 o User-Object-Code Compatibility with All Earlier M68000 Microprocessors
 o Multimaster/Multiprocessor Support via Bus Snooping
 o Concurrent Integer Unit, FPU, MMU, Bus Controller, and Bus Snooper
   Maximize Throughput
 o 4-Gbyte Direct Addressing Range
 o Software Support Including Optimizing C Compiler and UNIX(R) System V Port"

Looks like this CISC chip is right in there with all those RISC chips and
you don't have to make any allowances like re-writing your code :-)

Rick Tillery

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.043828.7213@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:

   [awesome specs for the 68040 deleted]

   Looks like this CISC chip is right in there with all those RISC chips and
   you don't have to make any allowances like re-writing your code :-)

Look at the SPECmarks that were posted earlier yesterday.  They're
more indicative of the actual performance.  By this time next year,
MIPS will have a 50 mip processor that only runs at 25MHz.  HP has a
RISC chip in their Snake machines that SPECS at 54.  It costs around
$12,000.  The 68040 SPECs at around 12 or 13.

The i860 is a RISC chip.  Look at its benchmarks sometime.

Also, quit writing your code in assembler.  That's not how it's done
anymore.  The Amiga doesn't have enough good professional software as
it is.  What's going to happen when everyone switches to RISC
chips(NeXT is going to), but Commodore can't because all of the Amiga
software software is written in assembler?

-Mike

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/24/91)

In article <aodGmk7x1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.043828.7213@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>

>   [awesome specs for the 68040 deleted]
>
>   Looks like this CISC chip is right in there with all those RISC chips and
>   you don't have to make any allowances like re-writing your code :-)
>

>Look at the SPECmarks that were posted earlier yesterday.  They're
>more indicative of the actual performance.

I saw the SPECmarks numbers.  What conclusion are you drawing from them?
It looked to me like the 68040 beat the SPARC more than the SPARC beat the
68040.  But for the most part they were roughly comparable.  In fact, their
performance was amazingly similar, considering the disparity in architecture
of the two CPUs.  This is right in line with the statement above, that
"...this CISC chip is right in there with all those RISC chips..."

>                                     ...  By this time next year,
>MIPS will have a 50 mip processor that only runs at 25MHz.

OK, but the same argument applies to the R4000 that applies to the 68040, that
is, it ain't here 'till it's here.  BTW, the R4000 is a 64 bit CPU, so it is
not surprising that it can double the performance figures at the same clock
rates.  I am sure that a "son-of-SPARC" machine in a 64-bit incarnation would
come in in the same ballpark, if slightly lower.  Ditto for the analogous hot
64-bit CISC machine that would incorporate the kind of design philosophy that
was behind the 68040.  There is no magic bullet.  The same performance
enhancing architectural features can be added to most families and the result
will be similar performance boosts.  It *is* true that the more complex
instruction set of the 680X0 family means that it takes more silicon to do it.

But no doubt the R4000 will be a really sweet engine.

>                                     ...  HP has a
>RISC chip in their Snake machines that SPECS at 54.  It costs around
>$12,000.  The 68040 SPECs at around 12 or 13.

Then HP will probably rule the world in a year or 2.  ;^) (emphasis on smily)

>The i860 is a RISC chip.  Look at its benchmarks sometime.

The i860 has a lot of problems, too.  The OEMs that are incorporating the i860
into their designs are having problems, from what I understand.

>Also, quit writing your code in assembler.  That's not how it's done
>anymore.  The Amiga doesn't have enough good professional software as
>it is.

Yes sir, anything else, sir?   ;^)

>         What's going to happen when everyone switches to RISC
>chips(NeXT is going to), but Commodore can't because all of the Amiga
>software software is written in assembler?

I believe the rumors of the death of CISC are a little premature.  But we'll
all see in another year or two.  Markets are shaking out big-time this year.

>-Mike

            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
--

leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu (Marcel LeBlanc) (04/25/91)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>I saw the SPECmarks numbers.  What conclusion are you drawing from them?
>It looked to me like the 68040 beat the SPARC more than the SPARC beat the
>68040.  But for the most part they were roughly comparable.  In fact, their
>performance was amazingly similar, considering the disparity in architecture
>of the two CPUs.  This is right in line with the statement above, that
>"...this CISC chip is right in there with all those RISC chips..."

The statement would be true if it read as "...this CISC chip [the 68040] is
right in there with that one RISC chip [SPARC]..."
		    ^^^^^^^^
The simple fact is that the SPARC-1 implementations are providing the WORST
performance of any RISC processors, largely due to the shared
instruction+data cache (bus, really).  Also add to the fact that the 68040
has been available for all of 4 months now, while 25 MHz SPARCs have been
available for 2.5 years!  Today, SPARCs and R3000As are available in 40 MHz
speeds, with newer implementations such as the 3-chip HP PA available at up
to 66 MHz.

For a 4 month old chip, the 68040 is not farring very well at all with "all
those RISC chips...".

>--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
>  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------

Marcel A. LeBlanc  --  Electrical Eng. Computer Group, Univ. of Toronto
leblanc@eecg.toronto.edu		else: uunet!utcsri!eecg!leblanc

Will you guys take the CISC versus RISC flamage elsewhere (like comp.arch.mips.
is.better.than.sparc.no.it.isnt)? Anyone who can look at systems and claim that
traditional CISC chips have any advantage in a normal workstation is fooling
themselves.

CISC still has an advantage at the low end, where the memory subsystem isn't
fast enough to keep those RISC monsters fed, but that's fading fast. Certainly
the A3000 is fast enough to feed a RISC chip, and a RISC co-processor card (not
those sluggish transputers... a real RISC like a MIPS or SPARC (or maybe an HP
snake :->)) would be killer. The older 2000 and 500 are better off with a
680x0. I would expect a RISC chip on one of them to actually slow things down.

CISC also has an advantage in the embedded controller market, where memory
constraints limit you to assembly and Forth.

At the very high end, with separate data and instruction memory and many-way
interleaved data memory, the ability of CISCs to schedule multiple data
requests per instruction might give them a bit of an advantage too. There
they're competing with superscalar and VLIW, though.

But for a workstation, running UNIX, why go with a CISC in a new box?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <aodGmk7x1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> What's going to happen when everyone switches to RISC
> chips(NeXT is going to), but Commodore can't because all of the Amiga
> software software is written in assembler?

Too late for that.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <1991Apr24.135141.21417@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
> I saw the SPECmarks numbers.  What conclusion are you drawing from them?
> It looked to me like the 68040 beat the SPARC more than the SPARC beat the
> 68040.

That's like claiming your bicycle is as good as a car because it can keep up
with an ailing VW Beetle. The SPARC is at best a mediocre RISC chip. Try
comparing it to the 88000 or the MIPS.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (04/28/91)

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.135141.21417@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>> I saw the SPECmarks numbers.  What conclusion are you drawing from them?
>> It looked to me like the 68040 beat the SPARC more than the SPARC beat the
>> 68040.

>That's like claiming your bicycle is as good as a car because it can keep up
>with an ailing VW Beetle. The SPARC is at best a mediocre RISC chip. Try
>comparing it to the 88000 or the MIPS.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

OK! Again, just for the record... (taken from comp.arch)
Part of a posting by Michael Slater:

        Vendor      Moto  Moto  Intel Sun   MIPS  Moto  IBM     Intel
        Achitecture 68040 68040 486   SPARC R3000 88000 RS/6000 i860
        Cache       none  128K  128K  128K  128K  128K  64K/8K  none
        Clock (MHz) 25    25    25    25    25    25    25      33
Integer gcc         12.4  13.8  13.8  13.8  15.5  17.5  17.8   11.5
        espresso    12.8  13.4  12.2  11.6  17.7  19.4  20.7   20.0
        li          14.9  15.5  16.8  11.2  20.4  20.7  19.8   17.7
FP      spice2g6    11.8  13.1  8.8   11.4  12.1  12.5  27.6   14.8
        doduc       7.7   8.1   5.8   9.5   15.9  10.1  27.7   15.6
        nasa7       11.5  12.1  5.8   14.0  18.1  15.2  35.5   45.0
        matrix300   10.8  11.5  9.5   14.7  13.8  18.4  21.8   21.5
        fpppp       12.1  13.4  7.0   13.1  17.8  14.7  54.7   21.8
        tomcatv     8.4   9.1   4.3   8.2   13.9  11.6  75.7   34.0
Means   SPECmark    11.0  11.8  8.8   11.8  16.1  15.2  28.9   20.3
        Integer     12.3  12.9  13.3  12.3  17.6  18.3  20.2   16.4
        FP          10.2  11.0  6.6   11.6  15.1  13.5  36.7   23.4
SPEC benchmark results for CISC and RISC systems at 25 MHz (except
i860 at 33 MHz). All results as published by SPEC, except for 486 and
860 results published by Intel and 68040 results provided by HP. The
systems are the HP 425t, HP 425s, an unspecified 486 system, Sun
SPARCstation 330, MIPS RC3240, Motorola 8864SP, IBM RS/6000 Model 530,
and an 860 PC add-in board with static column DRAM. Cache sizes shown
are external (second-level) caches only, except for RS/6000. MIPS and
88K caches are 64K instruction and 64K data.

Michael Slater, Editor and Publisher, Microprocessor Report
mslater@cup.portal.com    707/823-4004  fax: 707/823-0504
874 Gravenstein Hwy. So., Suite 14, Sebastopol 95472

--

In article <1991Apr28.145704.12706@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) writes:
> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >In article <1991Apr24.135141.21417@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
> >That's like claiming your bicycle is as good as a car because it can keep up
> >with an ailing VW Beetle. The SPARC is at best a mediocre RISC chip. Try
> >comparing it to the 88000 or the MIPS.

> OK! Again, just for the record... (taken from comp.arch)

Yep. The CISC guys are consistently slower than the RISC guys, and not by just
a few percent. And you're not even counting the Snake.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.