[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] NeXTWorld

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/25/91)

Anyone seen the magazine NeXTWorld?  I am more convinced than ever that
NeXT will fail after thumbing thru NeXTWorld.  It was a throw-back to
the early 70s with lots of black & white photos with heavy heavy imagery
and overwhelming subliminal sexual content.  It nearly made me sick, I'd
just eaten.  It tried to project an image of power and strenth but will
probably only appeal to people with strong S&M tendencies.  It was overall
very depressing and will scare all but the hardcore sadists away.

The new Amiga World sure looked 'professional'.  ...not like issues in the
past.  I can't remember for sure but I don't think any games were advertised
in the new issue ...at least not in any big ads.  It looked very nice in my
warped opinion ...exciting but professional  ...90s.

I thought the A3000UX ad in Unix Review was also well done.  Someone in
comp.sys.amiga.unix commented that the olive-drab background color was
perhaps negetive.  ...I don't know... we did just win the war you know.
Olive-drab is good in 1991 in the USA.  We're wearing the white hats and
want a white machine (with red & blue C= colors) and all in light of olive
drab and the 'born to run' all american biker free spirit.  I thought it
was pretty good ...right on the money. ...for the american audience.

                                        NCW

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.005525.2690@ariel.unm.edu>, nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
> Anyone seen the magazine NeXTWorld?  I am more convinced than ever that
> NeXT will fail after thumbing thru NeXTWorld.  It was a throw-back to
> the early 70s with lots of black & white photos with heavy heavy imagery
> and overwhelming subliminal sexual content.  It nearly made me sick, I'd
> just eaten.  It tried to project an image of power and strenth but will
> probably only appeal to people with strong S&M tendencies.  It was overall
> very depressing and will scare all but the hardcore sadists away.

Oh, didn't you know that all NeXT buyers have to pass a three-day
S&M-test before they get their machines? In that that test, we have to
wear a black PVC suit and perform some most interesting tasks. :-)

Actually, I haven't seen a single issue of NeXTWorld, but a friend of
mine said it is _very_ classy. Looked more like a graphic design
magazine. But he is a S&M type, so you might be right, after all...

				Jouni

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr26.111453.6133@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.005525.2690@ariel.unm.edu>, nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>> just eaten.  It tried to project an image of power and strenth but will
>> probably only appeal to people with strong S&M tendencies.  It was overall
>> very depressing and will scare all but the hardcore sadists away.

Anybody could become a full-fledged masochist tortured by unreliable shipment
date.

>Oh, didn't you know that all NeXT buyers have to pass a three-day
                                                         ---------
>S&M-test before they get their machines? In that that test, we have to
>wear a black PVC suit and perform some most interesting tasks. :-)

Now I can appreciate any shipment delay or even vaporware after three-
*month* test. BTW, do you happen to know when I can get 2.0 ROM and
toaster for my A3000 ? :)

--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language

lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) (04/26/91)

In article <5733@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>In article <1991Apr26.111453.6133@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>In article <1991Apr25.005525.2690@ariel.unm.edu>, nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>>> just eaten.  It tried to project an image of power and strenth but will
>>> probably only appeal to people with strong S&M tendencies.  It was overall
>>> very depressing and will scare all but the hardcore sadists away.
>
>Anybody could become a full-fledged masochist tortured by unreliable shipment
>date.
>
>>Oh, didn't you know that all NeXT buyers have to pass a three-day
>                                                         ---------
>>S&M-test before they get their machines? In that that test, we have to
>wear a black PVC suit and perform some most interesting tasks. :-)
>
>Now I can appreciate any shipment delay or even vaporware after three-
>*month* test. BTW, do you happen to know when I can get 2.0 ROM and
>toaster for my A3000 ? :)
>
>--
>-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
>NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language
>MIT R.Affiliate:masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu:  "Silicon on Sapphire" by CLASH

	And you wonder why there are so many computer fanatics running around..... man, how could I have missed it? (The S&M, that is)

Seriously, I think the original poster's comments were a bit too harsh. The magazine isn't that bad (can a magazine warrant a vomit launch?)

-Steve

--
 glkjghlfghdlgjh
dghfjghkdghkdghd

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.111453.6133@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>Actually, I haven't seen a single issue of NeXTWorld, but a friend of
>mine said it is _very_ classy. Looked more like a graphic design
>magazine. But he is a S&M type, so you might be right, after all...
>
>				Jouni

You don't think S&M is classy ...???? Well then, you need some disciplin
and training, ...don't you!?

No, I agree that it looked like a graphic design magazine and that it
tried to look classy.

                                     NCW

In article <fawgmz_@rpi.edu> lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) writes:

>Seriously, I think the original poster's comments were a bit too harsh. The magazine isn't that bad (can a magazine warrant a vomit launch?)
>
>-Steve

I didn't say it was bad.  I just said that it nearly made me sick.  I'm sure
that there are people in society who really get a turn-on from such
material.  It just made me sick ...thats all I am saying;  I'd just eaten,
I'd just looked through Amiga World, and when I started looking through
NeXTWorld, I just about tossed my cookies. ...that's all.  I had to look
through it in short glances.  I am not critical of people who are of the
NeXT persuasion.  You or they can do as they please.  I believe in freedom.
Its just that they make me kind of sick sometimes ...especially after I've
eaten or have done something enjoyable like reading Amiga World.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying.

NeXT is OK  ...I'm the one who has the problem of getting sick.

                                          NCW

  :)  :)  <----- this one called for a double!

lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr27.011358.18511@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>In article <fawgmz_@rpi.edu> lasteve@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Steven D Borrelli) writes:
>>
>>Seriously, I think the original poster's comments were a bit too harsh. The magazine isn't that bad (can a magazine warrant a vomit launch?)
>>
>>-Steve
>
>I didn't say it was bad.  I just said that it nearly made me sick.  I'm sure
>that there are people in society who really get a turn-on from such
>material.  It just made me sick ...thats all I am saying;  I'd just eaten,
>I'd just looked through Amiga World, and when I started looking through
>NeXTWorld, I just about tossed my cookies. ...that's all.  I had to look
>through it in short glances.  I am not critical of people who are of the
>NeXT persuasion.  You or they can do as they please.  I believe in freedom.
>Its just that they make me kind of sick sometimes ...especially after I've
>eaten or have done something enjoyable like reading Amiga World.
>
>Don't misunderstand what I am saying.
>
>NeXT is OK  ...I'm the one who has the problem of getting sick.
>

>                                          NCW
>

>  :)  :)  <----- this one called for a double!

 Man, that Steven Jobs is ruthless! I bet he planned this entire S&M thing to get the sexually repressed computer user market. Think about it...NeXT <-> SeX, a black box......I wonder what the cube stands is supposed to suggest?

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/01/91)

In article <5733@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>In article <1991Apr26.111453.6133@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>In article <1991Apr25.005525.2690@ariel.unm.edu>, nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>>> just eaten.  It tried to project an image of power and strenth but will
>>> probably only appeal to people with strong S&M tendencies.  It was overall
>>> very depressing and will scare all but the hardcore sadists away.
>
>Anybody could become a full-fledged masochist tortured by unreliable shipment
>date.
>
>>Oh, didn't you know that all NeXT buyers have to pass a three-day
>                                                         ---------
>>S&M-test before they get their machines? In that that test, we have to
>>wear a black PVC suit and perform some most interesting tasks. :-)
>
>Now I can appreciate any shipment delay or even vaporware after three-
>*month* test. BTW, do you happen to know when I can get 2.0 ROM and
>toaster for my A3000 ? :)

  You can get a Toaster for your a3000 right now! Hell, the Toaster started
shipping the same month the a3000 did. Lots of people use the Toaster with
the a3000.

  As for 2.0 roms, you really don't need them for any a3000. Why? every
a3000 comes with a hard drive. It takes 5 seconds to load the kickstart,
and you only have to do it once a day. There are very few people who will
get roms for their a3000 just to save five seconds a day.

>--
>-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
>NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language
>MIT R.Affiliate:masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu:  "Silicon on Sapphire" by CLASH

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

In article <1991Apr30.171321.2117@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  You can get a Toaster for your a3000 right now! Hell, the Toaster started
>shipping the same month the a3000 did. Lots of people use the Toaster with
>the a3000.

	Sure, if you replace the Denise chip with the old non-ECS
Denise AND if you leave the cover off. Then it works fine. I
don't know too many people willing to do that only to avoid
getting a 2000 system.

>  As for 2.0 roms, you really don't need them for any a3000. Why? every
>a3000 comes with a hard drive. It takes 5 seconds to load the kickstart,
>and you only have to do it once a day. There are very few people who will
>get roms for their a3000 just to save five seconds a day.

	And if you can also spare the 512K of RAM that the
KickStart takes up once it's copied into RAM.

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"