[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Dumb Laser Printers

Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (04/30/91)

> sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <122170@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
>
> Org.  : University of Pittsburgh
> Person: Scott J. Corley
>
> Mike , I hate to break this to you but Atari's been offering a dumb laser
> printer (no memory , no CPU) for use with their Atari ST since 1987. Next
> didnt invent the idea of using the computer's CPU and memory do the work
> necessary to print pages.

        Amiga also had one for a few years (and some of us still have it), the
C Ltd. LazerXpress laser printer.  It uses a General Computer Corporation
Personal Laser Printer for the hardware (along with a special C Ltd. PAL chip)
and Amiga software.  The GCC-PLP is available for the Mac and has the option of
being "dumb" or using specially installed memory in the PLP.
--
No Fancy Signature Here Just: Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.UUCP
(Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)

sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley) (04/30/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/30/91)

In article <122170@unix.cis.pitt.edu> sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley) writes:

   Mike , I hate to break this to you but Atari's been offering a dumb laser
   printer (no memory , no CPU) for use with their Atari ST since 1987. Next
   didnt invent the idea of using the computer's CPU and memory do the work
   necessary to print pages.

I never said that they did invent it, and I never said that it was a
great idea.  But is very economical.  At $1795($1295) NeXT is probably
making a bit of a profit since they don't have to pay Adobe royalties.
Last year someone pointed out that you could buy a NeXTstation and a
LaserPrinter for the price of an Apple NTX.  I'm not sure if this
still holds, but that did put things in perspective for some Macintoy
owners.  Ideally, I would want a CPU for everything, but NeXT does
have to make a profit and hardware cost money.

-Mike

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/01/91)

sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley) writes:
>Mike , I hate to break this to you but Atari's been offering a dumb laser
>printer (no memory , no CPU) for use with their Atari ST since 1987. Next
>didnt invent the idea of using the computer's CPU and memory do the work
>necessary to print pages.

also, C Ltd had their Laser Express that did the same thing for the Amiga

| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |